Dev Q & A (3.5 Update, Monday 2/7/18)

I can answer that, sort of.

There’s always gonna be that one guy who insists on throwing everything at purple until it can’t be done. This guy ends up at lvl600 with 200 purple and 80 of everything else. Which makes an almost noticeable difference (not really).

If the system was pick one of six … without intervention, the same guy would get all the way to 600 and 0 0 0 0 0 and be pretty screwed. I mean, this depends on how much he’s paying attention - he might get to 300 and 0x5, wonder about weapons and realize he would have unlocked every mastery-based weapon weeks ago if he’d played his cards right. And then he might quit the game instead of trying to rectify this over the next few months of leveling.

2 Likes

This is today! We will be live in a little over an hour with Sirrian and Nimhain. :slight_smile:

Well i guess i don’t need to ask about the supposedly stolen legendary underwear anymore, @Sirrian already showcased it on this week’s new event:

3 Likes

Like not being able to kill bard class hero with scatter damage.

Stream is live! Twitch

1 Like

Dev Stream Notes

Why were hero classes re-worked?
A: 3 pillars of design regarding features:
– Dev’s vision of feature, player feedback, analytical (in-game performance) feedback
– 2 out of 3 need to be out of alignments for a change/correction to be considered.
– Analytic data reported that heroes weren’t being used by players.
– Dev’s vision were for players to use heroes, and feedback was harsh regarding Dawnbringer in arena.
– Thus hero classes were reworked.

Q: Do mana bonuses at start of combat stack?
– No, highest bonus takes priority and is applied.

Q: Thoughts on talent trees:
– Perks were outdated and underpowered.
– Perks were limited and resulted in everyone having the “same” hero character for a class.
– Looked at other RPGs for inspiration for talent system.
– On why some talent trees are shared between classes → too similar for too many classes to be unique.
– Next class: Runepriest. Coming this weekend. Talent trees: Stone, Knowledge, Guardian. class weapon: Runeforger.
– One talent tree (Water) is not currently available, because there is no class (yet) that specializes in polearms.

Q: Weapons and Ingots

A: – Reworked through the same logical processes as hero class (see above)
– Old weapons were outdated and not in-line with current power levels in-game (in general)
– More “Dawnbringer-like” weapons coming in the future. (Not designed yet, possible forum design competition?)

– Ingot feedback
– VIP chests - yes. LT tasks - no Explore - no
– Sirran was receptive for ingots dropping out of 40k seal chests (not below 40k)
– New mode coming in 3.6 to earn ingots
– Old weapons will remain in glory/cash shop. New weapons coming in the future (3.6?) to deal with kingdom level issues.

Kingdom Rework

– Old system was very outdated, was only designed to 5 stars and was band-aided to reach 10 stars (hence the soft cap that was in place).
– The need to expand beyond 10 stars granted the opportunity to re-do the kingdom power system to be designed for the future, instead of band-aiding the band-aid.
– New system allowed for tasks beside just leveling/traiting troops to earn kingdom stars. More task types could be added in the future, if designed.
– Next old kingdom rework: Pan’s Vale (in progress). Kingdom theme will be stat stealing.
– More kingdom reworks coming in the future.

On teams starting with half mana (Ex: Divine Ishbala)

– Devs are observing the issue currently.
– More half mana start troops coming in the future
– Corrections may be made (no promise)

The future

– New world map (higher res) coming in 3.6.
– More space for more kingdoms (think map zooming out than where the camera is now)
– Room for one more kingdom in old map → Called Sin of Mirage (next kingdom).
– Occupies empty space in SW corner of map.
– Quest giver will be Luther to acknowledge that Luther was the first quest giver and will be the last quest giver on the old map “to end the current story”
– Staying quiet on new 3.6 game mode. “Core game mode”, like Treasure Hunt but “different”, involves fighting AI teams?
– PvP mode looking to re-worked in the future (post 3.6). More ranking modes/leaderboards being considered. Design theory to avoid fighting the same 2-3 meta teams all the time at the high-end. Improved matchmaking.

Lore

Human kingdoms at peace with each other? Generally, with standard human disagreements. Originally came from the same mega-kingdom; split into factional kingdoms at some point.

Misc/ Speed Round Questions

– Pet food as shop bonuses: Being considered
– Dev thoughts on 3.5 → Likes: Game retention rates are very high, high user playtime. Dislikes: PvP metas block out other teams. Some game modes are still outdated.
– Guild Wars looking to be reworked in patch after 3.6. Possible entire system re-do. "Want to correct guild issues “right”.
– Treasure maps → Thoughts being considered for what to do with the mountain of maps. Sirrian wants to do more than just “spend more maps at once to earn greater rewards” as a band-aid.

Something, something, Worldbreaker’s parents fan-fiction.
This week’s mythic has a rather interesting name anagram.

Chat went fast this time, so I might have missed something somewhere along the session and might have paraphrased something incorrectly when I was rushing to keep up at certain parts of the stream.

30 Likes

You were right stupid ass question at the end, no answer about orb rotation :frowning:

1 Like

Humpf… I’m a little disappointed that one of my question/suggestion was completely ignored, the one about the QoL issues of buying multiple items such as Spoils of War, specially because it was the question with more likes in the entire thread, which reflects a high interest of us players.

But well, no guarantee that number of likes would mean anything. As i said before the devs can just ignore what we think it’s important, that’s the lesson here @Rickygervais.

2 Likes

We did our best to answer so many questions, which we did. If something wasn’t answered that was included in the schedule it was likely human error more than anything malicious. We have limited time and sometimes these things happen.

As always, @Lyrian you’re a boss. Thanks for such a prompt, detailed write up!

10 Likes

I don’t think it was malicious, not a big deal. Do you wanna know what’s gonna be big?

The polearm jokes i’ll prepare, gonna probably team-up with @KYLENATOR001’s for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Did i hear it right? New Runepriet class this weekend? Same time then new mythic suna?

Yes the Runepriest class is arriving this weekend. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you would invoulge me, well, those jokes are one case I’d rather have the shaft. Will there be a NAGAnata for the mist of scales? Will the peasant get a legendary pitchfork? Will death and war get over their petty differences to craft the war scythe? The world may never know…

2 Likes

You can watch the stream here: Twitch

(H)Albe(rd)it it’s common to have some juvenile competitivity about size of such equipments as long as we work together people will certainly be impressed when they see what we have.

I would try the “Lady and the Tramp spaghetti dinner” mannuever on these two…

2 Likes

I’m afraid i can’t watch the stream, but can someone tell me if they answered why they messed up with the Titan class trees(Wind instead of Storms), and whether they plan on fixing it in the future?

Must admit, totally forgot this was tonight. The whole Monday July 2nd thing based on devs time didn’t translate to Sunday July 1st in my region in my brain.

Well, reading the synopsis.

All I can say is Things and stuff. May end up asking in the spoilers thread if someone can dig up what Water Talent tree is supposed to do. The future sounds fun, but the now is pretty monotonous.

Not directly.

They discussed conceptually why some talent trees are shared between classes, but didn’t really comment on whether they thought any of the shared talent trees are incorrectly placed on a given hero class or not.

1 Like

I didn’t know they were live lol I was expecting Monday of Us time lol also you didn’t post anything on the twitter page. Will watch the stream tomarrow

I posted all over the Twitter page! I promise! https://twitter.com/GemsOfWar

1 Like