Design-a-Troop Project - Temporarily Closed

You have a point but have you seen @sirrian? (joke) I feel he is a walking legal issue ready to unfold. Then again i like his stuff. Someone who leaps before they leap kind of personality.

@Sirrian is only upset Adana didn’t win. :robot:

5 Likes

I know where you can plagiarize the exact end user agreement you need lol

They need a lawyer troop in the game, spell is expose, and third trait triple is skull damage to killermans :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@Sirrian Tell legal to get off their butts, draft a EULA and mass email to all forum users, or all GoW users. Electronic signature, reply, done.

And let’s get our troop back on!! :wink:

Or send all of us a bag of gems which has a real world price related effectively making us all employees of infinity+2 and then you own our intellectual property out right. :grin:

2 Likes

If you use the concept of that woman but do not use her image or her name, then it isn’t plagiarism right? I mean maybe nobody noticed but we do have a card that is deadpool after all.

There is a spectrum between homage and outright ripoff. Pretty sure it’s in the eye of the beholder, though at some point someone gets bothered enough to call in the wolves.

I’d happily sign over all my rights and become a part-time intern for troop concepts if I could, but sadly these things are not so clean and cut. There’s always those people that will try to demand credit or threaten with legal action just to make a quick buck.

One day, Lucifer, one day…

2 Likes

Wouldn’t this EULA requirement apply to the Feature Requests section of this forum as well? Not that any of it will make its way to the game, but still, it should not remain open for suggestions until this legal matter is resolved.

By all means correct me if I’m wrong about that. I’m just frankly surprised that your legal team realized this after the Design-a-Troop project started. :astonished:

Actually this game has been made based off of those suggestions for the last 3 major updates.

Feature Requests can be seen as user feedback, rather than direct input into the design process. And we in theory never know whether the Devs were planning to implement any of the changes in Feature Requests before the do, so while it might look like they’re acting on it, it could just be coincidence (I think the Devs DO act upon it, but that’s beside the point in this case)

Where as the Design-a-troop project was/is aimed directly at adding something to the game.

2 Likes

You have a point it could be a coincidence. For the sake of argument it could be just a coincidence that certain things fall in line with feature requests. At least it is not there for show. I hope that at least half of those requests for guild stuff is implimented into the next major update.

Yup, it’s all in terms of legal challenges. Eg IF someone decided to try and claim rights to an idea that got added in, they could probably claim they were working on it all along (it wouldn’t be QUITE that simple, but yeah)

1 Like

That makes sence cause they are always working on something, either with bug fixes or updates.

1 Like

Plausible deniability can only go so far for so long. Must be in writing from the outset. Any lawyer can tell you that.

Whether someone actually takes them to court is another matter. I don’t expect them to answer any of this on advice of counsel.

1 Like

@sirrian any update on this please?

I’m guessing your tech guys are too busy fixing the game to fix an EULA into the forum :wink:

I don’t think it’s going to be any time soon.

I’d like to hear a ruling on the Fantasy Series, something that contains no original ideas or concepts.

The only legal issue that could arise is if the developers want to put it in the game. I have expressly stated before, and will again now, that I claim nothing created, own no content and waive any IP rights.

InfinityPlus2 owns the Fantasy Series and has final say in it’s entirety. I only “manage” it, and can be replaced at the developer’s discretion, with or without cause

Hey Folks,

We’ve been fixing some issues in the game yesterday & today… turns out that having 8,000 people waiting on an event reset who all immediately start playing PvP at precisely 5:05pm here causes a lot of unforeseen issues that we’ve been gradually cleaning up. Hopefully NEXT week will run a lot smoother!

Anyway, regarding these legal issues.

@TaliaParks, feel free to go ahead with the current fantasy series, no drama there… but we’re just formulating a proper policy/procedure for all future giveaways/competitions on the forums.

This isn’t something we’ve ever had to do before, but due to the nature of where Gems of War has led us, and how awesome the community has been at wanting to do stuff, we thought now (while we deal with the legal issues) was the right time to set up these policies.

As an example… For the most part, the participants here are all very good-natured, but you guys don’t get to see some of the complaints and accusations behind the scenes from non-forum-goers who get very angry about all sorts of unfounded conspiracies that they imagine might be taking place. e.g.

• If any PLAYER can nominate a winner, what if they nominate someone from their guild?
  • If a COMMUNITY can vote on something, what if a guild is mobilised to sway that vote?
  • Even worse, during voting, what if a player creates dummy accounts to sway a vote?
    And if people will get upset over these things, that is potentially damaging to the game, so it helps to at least have a policy to point to that promotes IMPARTIALITY whenever and wherever possible.
11 Likes

Well I feel as if have to apologize to the community somewhat here then, as I know my voice was one that mentioned during the voting on the kingdom for the create a troop project something about dummy accounts swing the vote.

I have no idea about those other things, but I can understand if the devs had been being pinned about then how alarming they must have been.

My apologies, community, for raising alarms that were more than likely not true and being one of the reasons that this project was shut down.