Delves: Strategies, tactics and tips

Yes. Ingots come in at predictable mutlipliers to tell me that all rewards are also whole numbers and all rewards are rounded after each reward. For example, if you get 3 legendary ingot drops with a 2.7 modifier, you get 9 legendary ingots. With a 2.5 modifier, you get 9 legendary ingots. With a 2.45 modifier, it would be 6 legendary ingots. Predictably, every time.

I also have enough data now to say with relative certainty that chest level affects how many drops are rolled. I threw away 6 delves at level 1 and 2 so far. Every delve at level 1 was a single drop of a single piece of loot multiplied by the treasure multiplier. Every level 2 delve had only 1 or 2 distinct pieces of loot which came in predictable amounts after I accounted for the room modifier.

The reason people are having so much trouble with shards is that they can drop in mutliple distinct values across the same chest. And each drop is multiplied by the treasure multiplier and rounded. However, in going through my data, every single level 5 chest I’ve gotten so far has been able to be explained by having exactly 5 drops each time with shards in base quantities of 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Lets apply what I have learned to all the other chests posted here
@timeknight got:
Level 7, 3.75 modifier, 87 shards, 75 glory, 1500 souls
Level 7 chest, so I’ll assume 7 drops.
3.75 modifier, so we know what our base drops were
Single soul drops usually come at a base of 200. But hoard quality 2+ grants 2x souls, so lets use 400.
Single glory drops usually come at a base of 20 (the 2x multiplier doesn’t come until hoard quality 5, which he hasn’t reached yet)
I’ve seen shards drop in base quantities of 3, 4, 5, and 6 to account for every possibility so far in a level 5 chest. With this multiplier, that means 11, 15, 19, and 23. You can reach this in 5 shards drop.

So, he more than likely got:

• 1x 200 souls (x2 from hoard quality), 1x 20 glory, 1x 3 shards (11), 1x 4 shards (15), 2x 5 shards (19 ea), 1x 6 shards (23)

For a total of 7 drops.

@Santandrix’s other drops:
level 6 chests, 4 ingots, 62 shards, 15400 gold
level 5 chest, 56 shards, 15k gold
level 5 chest, 2 ingots, 28 shards, 4000 gold

We weren’t given the multipliers, but we can figure them out from the gold payouts and information given in the post:
15,400 gold is a factor of both 2,000 and 4,000 (possible gold drops, depending on hoard quality), with 3.85
15,000 gold is a factor of 2,000 and 4,000 with a 3.75 multiplier
4000 gold is only a factor of 2000 and 2.0. This leads me to believe that no only did he play a low level repeat delve, he also chose the “lower level” option and started at 0.5 modifier, as All-Seeing Eye tends to cap out around +2.0 modifier for all rooms cleared. And that he hasn’t upgrade his hoard quality in All-Seeing Eye yet.

Our base drops were:

• 1 legendary ingot (4), 2k gold (15.4k), 3 shards (12), 3 shards (12), 4 shards(15), 6 shards (23)
  • 4k gold (15k), 3 shards(11), 3 shards (11) 4 shards (15), 5 shards (19)
  • 1 legendary ingot, 2k gold, 3 shards (6), 4 shards (8), and 6 shards (12)

So far, I’ve been able to apply every single chest drop I’ve gotten to this methodology and get expected results. Which is most of my delves across 4 accounts since the patch released.

Recommend getting that hoard quality up in whatever delve you are going to play (farm) the most. Those extra guaranteed chest levels is going to amount to a lot of loot. Short term, you could get more raising the quality of the one you are actively progressing, though, but by the time you’ve hit your first hoard quality upgrade, you are likely just about walled on forward progress for that delve and won’t likely get enough “more” treasure that it was worth it when you’ve regressed to farming same-level delves. Also, I’d stop upgrading hoards at quality break-points that give modifiers to boss chest level upgrade, though that ingot multiplier is tempting. This will give you the most loot in the long run.

Edit: typos

32 Likes