Defending with a strong teams : is it worth it?

Defend loses have always been more valuable than a win. It is still worth having a team that is somewhat decent for defend for players are stronger then the computer and are going to win anyways. The ideal team is one that can rack up as many wins before getting 3 loses, but still capable of easily getting 3 loses. A focused defend team strong at a specific thing will usually do this since most people don’t waist the time and gold scouting every person.

[quote=“Zelfore, post:20, topic:1604, full:true”]False, you are actually fighting the attackers’ team they used on your defense team.
[/quote]

While I figure this is mostly true, as it is intended, I have occasionally run into defends that I scratch my head at. For example, I once defended against a single Fortress Gate. How…? This is clearly their defense team, not the attacking team. I suppose it might have been a one time glitch, but I feel I’ve run across this a handful of times.

While I figure this is mostly true, as it is intended, I have occasionally run into defends that I scratch my head at. For example, I once defended against a single Fortress Gate. How…? This is clearly their defense team, not the attacking team. I suppose it might have been a one time glitch, but I feel I’ve run across this a handful of times.
[/quote]

Looking at those teams that are definitely not attackers what really supports the claim that we fight an attacking team ever?

I have run into a defense team of Nothing. Just an empty team. That was a fast win.

Pretty sure this isn’t accurate. It might have been at one time, but I run into too many teams that there is no way it won an invade against me (or anyone). Single marksmen at lvl 5 (or 2 or 1), hero only with a 5 damage club, 1 to 4 fortress gates. It happens often enough there is no way we are attacking the team that attacked us. It has to be their defense team. It basically seems to launch an invade against that person with a fee of 50 gold.

-Razlath

Agree with this, though wish it was against their invading team - presume that’d create more varied/fun battles…

Perhaps one of the devs can enlighten us? @Sirrian @Nimhain?

From a coding stand point, attacking their defending team is easier. When a defeat is registered the system has to store Who attacked and How much gold, but to hit their attacking team it would have to store Who, How much, and their team/banner configuration (not just team slot, since that could change, and that information likely is ‘private’ not ‘public’).

Not exactly a lot of extra work to do so, but every little bit extra adds up.

Agreed, that’s what I’d assumed… I think it would create data issues…

Hm, fair enough. I believe it did apply at one time, but that may have changed around the 1.0.7 release.
I guess data issue wise, it does make sense to just use the defending team again.

On this topic, I wanted to ask: Is there a maximum number of defeats you can get before the game stops putting you up on the PVP list? And can you store more than 3 revenge matches at once? What happens if someone attacks you and you already have 3 stored? Does something get overwritten?

AFAIK it always keeps the three most recent defeats as revenge battles… so if you get a fourth one, it replaces the first one… thus it makes sense to always do them as soon as they appear…

Yeah. That’s why I tend to set stronger teams on Defence before bed :stuck_out_tongue:

Revenge is always a good things…but having a strong teams on defense (3X +orb, 4 dragons, etc), will prevent you from having a good time… so i strogly suggest to keep a list of players with those teams and avoid those next time the game propose them to you,

there are many players who got a list of players to avoid in PVP ( 3X wirh globe, all goblins, all dragons)… for just 10 GP, you can choose another players

You already have a thread on this which has attracted some mixed views and some considerable opposition.

Let’s not re-open that debate here.

I believe he was speaking of a personal list, in which case falls under an individual basis.

So @Kairyu, should you get annoyed or fed with a specific type of team, dzm67’s idea might be something to consider. Could help prevent boredom or stagnation should the case arise.

True, the point made here was slightly different.

Just keen not to see that wider acrimonious debate re-open.

GoW definitely needs to be adjusted so that defense wins are economically preferred over defense losses. The opposite just makes for perverse incentives.

Deliberately putting up an easy team to defeat in order to get revenges = passive win trading. Win trading is bad for the community and undermines the core value of the game, which should be having fun rather than maximizing the return of an imaginary resource.

I am wearing Dragon Armor and pvp on Warlord I. I find that invades earn me more than revenges, even accounting for the reduced cost to enter. That’s probably because I’m willing to hit “Try Another” a few times to hit someone with 500+ available (and hit a 1000+ not uncommonly).

Defense teams consisting of one Musketeer are a disappointment. Defense teams that beat me or nearly so keep me engaged and playing my best – that’s what I’m here for!

i got a bad taste in my mouth when i saw my opponent had only one troop and it was a cannon. I prefer hard defense do to the fact that i can earn a key or glory souls are nice but gold though.

With the addition of glory keys, it is possible defense victories will become more economically interesting. That one glory per win stacking up more than 3 times might be worth more to people than the 3 glory they could get by revenging. We haven’t seen hard stats on what the glory keys will cost or what our glory per invade will be, but it seems like there is a breakpoint in there somewhere.

Even if you are processing your revenges quickly, that is still an invade you could have played in the same amount of time. So once glory becomes truly useful I could see some shift in perceived value.

-Razlath

Btw, you get less experience for winning a game against an enemy with only one troop in formation - the EXP is 1 per troop killed… so I always skip single troop defence teams…