Death Mark, new hotness, or basic?

Given that there are 20,000+ active players, going by the leaderboard each week, and the top players play hundreds of games each day, I think a full team deathmark wipe won’t be all that rare of an occurrence, across all players. Each individual player will rarely experience it, but it will probably happen to somebody every couple weeks.

I think giving the player at least a single turn opportunity to cast a cleanse spell would be ideal. Preventing the deathmark from landing in the first place shouldn’t be the only viable strategy.

Upon Death’s release, we’ll be able to hear more of people’s thoughts on the matter by example instead of speculation. Death is also a costly Mythic troop, so frequency of play will be rather minimal.

I know people around here seemingly hate the whole “wait and see” approach, but this is like when Mab and Borealis were released.

People were already fretting Borealis with his “freeze all” spell, but he gets less play than Behemoth does by this point. While Mab on the other hand actually proved Freeze’s strength.

My bet is Death will be like Borealis, in that he isn’t half as frightening (and more like only somewhat frustrating) to deal with. Balancing can take effect after he’s available to the public to complain about.

6 Likes

Data dumping, opinion-free:

The impact of the devs giving the troop a one-turn grace period wherein deathmark could be cleansed but could not kill would drop the mortality per troop over ten turns from 23.23% to 15.81%.

As the status effect used to be, with a two-turn grace period, the mortality per troop was 9.57%. That’s assuming no spell-based cleanse and 10 full turns before end of the match. No wonder they changed it.

4 Likes

We have troops that can place deathmark already and one or two that are common, I am wondering if it would be best to test deathmark to see what it can do as a single hit first then extrapolate that data.

You have the power to test it all you like. What would you be testing it for?

He likes to do his own math

To find the fastest team that can apply it as often as possible while also getting bonuses for using deathmark.[quote=“TaliaParks, post:66, topic:9634, full:true”]
He likes to do his own math
[/quote]

Testing is not always about math, it sometimes revolves around finding team synergies that are still undiscovered and breaking the new toys we have before we get more.

Okay, then. I’m sure I’m not the only one eagerly anticipating your results.

I did not say I was going to test it. Ok i will find it but my skills in team building are eclipsed my my math skill. Lyya i am going to use your site for this.

http://ashtender.com/gems/teams/6182,6062,6180,6110
With full traits and abyss banner, 2+purple, 1+red and -1 yellow. This was from the first test and i only had traits on my giant spider(level 18) and valkyrie (level 18) all others were level 5. The line-up should be straight foreword.

After Succubus kissed my Queen Mab to death, I think current Death Mark is op. The main discussion was about new mythic Death. But things like Succubus - only 9 mana for instant death chance, or Creeping Death - Strong AoE attack with 2 extra death mark, doesn’t feel balanced.

2 Likes

Feels too rng but it is better than maws third trait at least

death may be an issue later - but a common - wraith gets deathmark on its second trait… 4 of those suckers are hard!

1 Like

Try Impervious or Warded troops.

Astral Spirit seems like an easy way to counter any deathmark team

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the odds of 2 or 3 deaths in round 1? By round 2?

And BTW thanks for doing all the probability math, love it!

I agree with Lyya’s math given the mechanics stated above.

Because math and spreadsheets are fun, here’s another set of numbers that y’all might find interesting.

Assuming no cleanse spells, no “restamping” the death mark, and the battle actually lasting another 10 turns, here are the sorted probabilities of each outcome of death mark on a single troop:

Chance  Outcome
17.50%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 3
16.20%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 2
14.70%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 4
10.00%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 1
 9.92%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 5
 9.00%  Troop dies on turn 1
 6.48%  Troop dies on turn 2
 5.36%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 6
 4.08%  Troop dies on turn 3
 2.25%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 7
 2.20%  Troop dies on turn 4
 0.99%  Troop dies on turn 5
 0.69%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 8
 0.36%  Troop dies on turn 6
 0.14%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 9
 0.10%  Troop dies on turn 7
 0.02%  Troop dies on turn 8
 0.01%  Troop is auto-cleansed on turn 10
<0.005% Troop dies on turn 9

I can share the spreadsheet if anyone wants it.

7 Likes

It should be noted that @Nimhain confirmed Death is being redesigned because of how powerful deathmark is. I don’t believe we know what death’s skill is at this point in time.

I haven’t seen too much use of Deathmark troops on defenses since the buff. Ran into the all wraith team a couple times, but it wasn’t particularly tough to beat. Are people using it primarily on offense?

It’s because Maw is still the most popular and if you run him then you want mana generator and skull spawner to support.
Besides I don’t think full death mark team are strong but adding one low mana troop can be fun.