Death Mark, new hotness, or basic?

Well, all other status effects roll at least one turn before they can be automatically cleansed; they have a 0% chance to cleanse the first turn, then 10%, 20%, etc. for each following turn. Death Mark can now kill on turn 1, where there’s a 0% chance to naturally cleanse.

1 Like

Unless I’m gravely mistaken, I was under the belief that natural cleansing begins turn 1.

In that, 10% is the minimum. I do believe I recall some people mentioning a troop curing itself before a status effect ever went off (like burn). Or maybe I’m wrong and everything I know is a lie, I don’t know.

1 Like

If that’s true, I’ve never seen it ever happen…

1 Like

On the Console a status effect can wear off turn 1, wonder if it’s the same for PC

i can admit to burning a troop just for them to get a turn and it cleanse. This happened to old poison as well.[quote=“TaliaParks, post:22, topic:9634, full:true”]
On the Console a status effect can wear off turn 1, wonder if it’s the same for PC
[/quote]

from my experience it is.

Well, assuming it’s true, and assuming the best case – that the cleanse occurs before Death Mark would otherwise kill the troop – what that means is there’s a 10% chance for the troop to have 100% chance to survive, and 90% chance for the troop to have 90% chance to survive. That means that on turn 1, any given troop afflicted with Death Mark would have a chance of (0.1 * 1) + (0.9 * 0.9), or 91% chance to survive, instead of the 90% I was assuming before.

That means that the chance of all 4 troops surviving one round of Death Mark is (0.91)^4, or about 68.5%. Still works out to about 31.5% chance of losing one troop before you can do anything about it, which is much worse than the odds you get with just about everything else.

If you don’t lose a troop on turn 1 and you cannot cleanse, then the odds for all troops to survive round 2 become: ((0.1 * 1) + (0.9 * ((0.2 * 1) + (0.8 * 0.9))))^4, or about 0.74, which is 74%. That means the total odds of surviving two rounds without losing a troop are (about) 50%. There’s a 50% chance you’ll lose at least one troop in two rounds.

EDIT: Forgot to factor in the “cleansed in turn 1” factor to the turn 2 survival rate.
EDIT 2: Was corrected on Death Mark’s 10% odds not increasing over time. Lowers the number a lot, but still 50%.

3 Likes

is that assuming that the deathmark is a cumulative chance just like the cleanse is?

Oooh, good point. I think you’re right, it’s a flat 10%, not accumulating.
EDIT: And fixed. ~50% chance after two rounds.

It would be op if deathmark was accumulating, then i think it would be everywhere as well. I can say for sure though that it is a strong instant kill but looking at it from maw’s third trait, it is less powerful percentage wise.

Maw’s third trait is much less than 31% odds. However, this is more closely comparable to Maw’s spell (as it requires mana, can be silenced, drained, etc) so in that light it’s about on par with the deadliness. It isn’t 100% chance like Maw’s is, but it has the potential to wipe out an entire enemy team after a couple rounds.

Basically, this spell will be a “deny at all costs” type spell, like Maw’s (and Mab’s to a degree). And that might be tough to achieve, as Death uses three mana types.

EDIT: I feel obligated to once again indicate that this is all speculation. Death is unreleased and therefore can change without warning.

1 Like

What are Death’s Traits? Immunity to Silence at all?

Traits and other spoilery stuff here:

So he’s quite counterable, has a high Mana cost and will most likely be Manablocked partially. Sounds like he’ll be targeted and rendered useless if the player plans properly.

In other words, if he kills you, YOU probably messed up.

Potentially. We’ll see how it plays out. I have faith that the dev team will balance things properly.

By percentage maw’s third trait is 15% to active (even though it is skull hits) vs death mark’s 10% (which is used by a spell)

Once more: If Death gets a cast off, it has a 31.5% chance of killing a troop without you having any chance to retalliate. It might kill more, and if you don’t have a cleanse, then it’ll be 50% by turn 2.

Considering death yes this is true but i was typing from a single target perspective. I think there are troops that only deathmark a single target.

Except that even if that is true, death could still wipe your entire team without giving a chance to stop it (obviously if you don’t have impervious troops).

1 Like

This math isnt’ quite correct. Both cleanse and kill have a 34.39% chance to pop on one of the units on the first turn. Now if cleanse pops on the unit that would have got hit by the kill, cleanse comes first (as it does with literally every other cleanseable status effect), so kill would never pop. This means kill’s 34.39% chance gets reduced to 25.79%. Basically, you have a 25% chance to lose a unit without you being able to do anything about it when death casts. I mean, it’s not ideal really, but it’s not the worst.

I would like to see the devs have a 1 turn wait for both cleanse and death, with the deathmark status. That way it isn’t more likely to cleanse, but you have a turn to react.

Three things can happen on turn 1 for a given deathmarked troop:

A) They can be cleansed. The probability of this is 10%.
B) They can not be cleansed, and can die from the deathmark. The probability of this is 10% of the remaining 90%, or 9%.
C) They can be neither cleansed nor killed. The probability of this is the remaining 81%.

Therefore the odds of a given troop surviving turn 1 is 91%, or 81% + 10%.
The odds of all 4 troops surviving is (0.91^4), or 0.685, or 68.5%.
The odds of at least 1 troop dying is 1-0.685, or 31.5%.

2 Likes