I still have the issue intermittently. It shows up whenever windows sees a change in the controllers that I have connected. Which happens every time I make programming changes to my joysticks - which I do frequently. i also had the problem after updating for the last patch (not the hotfix.)
What works for me is this:
- When I see the problem return, I shut down the game.
- Unplug the Xbox controller
- Restart the game - Note that at this point, it will still be in error.
- Close the game again.
- Plug the Xbox controller back in.
- Restart the game again. At this point, it should be working normally.
I have had one situation where I had to cycle it more than once to get it sorted out.