Continuity (it really shouldn't be this difficult)

8 Likes

The game absolutely needs spell text to be standardized as the current state prevents searching for similar effects without resorting to an external resource like TaransWorld.

Consider gem conversion.

A search for “brown gems to red” or “brown to red” won’t turn up one or the other result.

Splash damage is also a huge offender here, especially with older troops, which usually say something to the effect of dealing damage to adjacent enemies but nothing about splash damage.

4 Likes

Macaw: Give 50% Mana to all Rogue Allies when battle begins.
Urskula: All Urska start the battle with 50% Mana.
Maraji: All Elementals start battle with 50% Mana.
Quentin: All Knight Allies start battle with 50% Mana.
Yes, Quentin mentions Allies, but the relevant part is the bold part which makes the filter include or exclude this troop. Since (currently) there is no troop which grants mana to allies like this Quentin and Maraji would be processed the same by a (smart) search string. Urskula is different because it includes “the”
( :+1: to Ignitice, although I find the Allied/Allies part less relevant, it does show the inconsistency)

the the doesn’t even matter as you’d still pull up the search for those 50% team mana troops with battle with except Captain Macaw.

I just want pure uniformality on all of these traits. If its going to be half assed, then it may as well just be left as is.

3 Likes

And now we have
Torben: Give 2 Attack and Armor to Beast Allies when matching 4 or more Gems.
And
Willow: All Beast allies gain 2 Attack and Life on 4 or 5 Gem matches.
SERIOUSLY?!
All Beast allies ------------- Beast Allies
Give [stats] ------------------ gain [stats]
When matching Gems — on Gem matches
4 or more gems ------------ 4 or 5 gems matches
(unless someone has confirmed that 5+ gem matches don’t work for Willow)

How in the glorious blazes can you cram so many different wordings in such simple traits which are almost (and before release were even exactly) identical?

5 Likes

They are working on it! (Or that’s what it sounds like)

They’ve been claiming to be working on it for quite some time now: meanwhile, new inconsistencies (e.g. Captain Macaw above) continue to be released.

Self-explanatory.
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

Consistency is important to us and we are working on it as a long term project.
Bearing in mind that the game is longer than War and Peace and written in 7 languages which all need to be consistent too.

I’ve brought this particular case up with the localisation team, thanks for pointing it out.

2 Likes

Can you edit the text if we told you what to change it to?
It’d be simpler for everyone if a few players just made a list of ‘suggested’ changes. and gave it to you for entry.

2 Likes

If scope is the issue, it does sound like there are plenty of forum users willing to contribute :slight_smile:

I could do it in a day. Only been volunteering for the task for three years running or something.

8 Likes

Fan favorite @Ozball could do it, and would be the best choice. A lot it is just cleaning up and using consistent grammar. And who better than a non-native speaker that had to learn English, and is now completely fluent to the point he can’t speak Portuguese?

Ozball works on boring server stuff, which is important, but I think his true talents are underused.

Another example:

Three of them say “convert gems to doomskulls” while the other three state “transform gems to doomskulls”.

Do the creators of this game deliberately troll the community for some reason?

17 Likes

There is an achievement tied to raising 100 troops to gold elite status. Yes, the devs deliberately troll the community sometimes.

7 Likes

I knew there wasn’t an achievement going in. But to me finishing every single challenge is more of an achievement than spending 8-12 hours farming Explore daily.

1 Like

To me all the text issues indicate how very little the staff talk to each other. It’s almost like Infinity Plus 2 is actually 2 or more development studios.
Either way…
If I can get a guild to donate to the right tasks made up of players around the world and most of them with less than a year experience in the game. All thanks to discord.
Then you’d think someone could tell the programmers to pick a lexicon for Gems of War.
To be fair though… We match gems and can buy gems… which should’ve been our first indication that words are not important to them.

4 Likes

And two of those Doomskull weapons have traits that potentially backfire. But I suppose lack of continuity is good, because in that instance, two broken weapons is better than six.

6 Likes

I agree with you but there’s a difference between you and the devs.

You have to work to do the cat herding to get the guild coordinated or you lose some rewards.

They can release troops without text, or incorrect text, or incorrect art, or with any number of other problems and people will buy gems anyway. “It’s just how live content games work.”

4 Likes

It’s like the people writing these traits are all different people every time.

There are 14 troops/classes that start their troops with 50% mana, and of those 14, 10 of them use the exact same format: “All [Troop Type] start battle with 40% (Divine)/50% (Everyone else) Mana.”

Three of the 14 that differ all differ in completely unique ways as well. Shaman makes sure you know that it’s only Allied Tauros that start battle(s) with 50% Mana. Captain Macaw, which started this thread, makes sure you know that it’s only Rogue Allies who start with 50% Mana… and it also confuses you by telling you that Rogues don’t even start with 50% mana, in fact, they are GIVEN 50% Mana when the battle begins, implying that it stacks with other mana effects.

Now Quentin comes out right after Macaw and goes back to the Shaman format, except instead of Allied Knights, it’s Knight Allies. And you know what, here’s why it’s really annoying: we have 14 more troop types that don’t have 50% mana starts yet (Centaur, Construct, Daemon, Dragon, Fey, Goblin, Merfolk, Monster, Mystic, Naga, Raksha, Stryx, Undead, and Wargare).

What’s the text going to look like on those? Because eventually, if the developers care, and I think they do, someone is going to have to go back through all these troops and make all the text uniform: just like they’ve done with a couple other abilities, like when they changed remove skill points to eliminate.

It just seems like it would save them an awful lot of time if they would take a pro-active approach in doing it right on release instead of setting themselves up for more work later…

We’re going to end up with things like “Allied Constructs, not enemies, start with 50% Mana in Battles” and “Merfolks on your team get 50% Mana when you start battle.” Gaah

5 Likes

My guess is that they use alot of subcontractors for the coding. And the workers change all the time. So everyone just writes the traits etc the best they see fit.

They really should have defined the different terms and made a set model how to write texts from early on. Im actually really suprised they didnt do this after the player base started to complain about it. Would have saved alot of work hours later on.

2 Likes