Clarification Regarding Craftable Weapons (including a list of those excluded from the forge)

My current issue with this is not that I’m missing so many weapons, but the way that the devs are being absolutely lambasted here. They are trying to help make old weapons available, have chosen the method, explained it and are now berated for it. I agree that I would have done it differently, but civility and common courtesy still go a long way, imho.

By the way, different topic, but I’m still concerned with orbs and the bizarre drop rates of orbs of growth rather than useful ones. Sorry, I know that is a different topic, but I’d honestly rather see something done about that.

4 Likes

This is just not true, this complaint in particular has been made again and again in the forums for as long as I’ve been playing (2.5 years now)… If I understood you correctly you might not care about having a full collection, but plenty of other people do, has nothing to do with the weapon’s usefulness.

I think the issue is Sirrian’s statements during last week’s QA (quoted a few posts above) clearly imply that the really old event weapons would be made available too, and now the official stance is that it was never meant to happen… I agree that it doesn’t by any means justify being insulting towards the dev team, but I believe there’s reason to be less than happy with the way the situation has been handled so far.

11 Likes

Actually 99.89% of the complains have been about past event weapons (invasion/raid/tod). Those past event weapons WILL be avalaible in the soulforge, if you read again the answers.

I don’t recollect even one single person complaining about the old glory weapons (that are cash only now), as they’re so outdated, weak or nische, that it’s nothing to complain about.

3 Likes

Really feel like a bait & switch has happened here :rage:

4 Likes

What a terrible, disappointing decision.

3 Likes

All the weapons you have to pay money for suck. All of them. You aren’t missing anything but a collectible. I bought them and never used them, and I only bought them to donate $$$ to the devs.

5 Likes

Feel free to search the forums for ‘old weapons’ and read the threads, you will realize there’s many veteran players that don’t need the newer event weapons (because we were around to get them on release) but still have repeatedly supported any request to have every weapon made available for in-game resources… Is it such an unreasonable request?

4 Likes

The outrage would be justified if the above list of 30 or so weapons included all the good weapons like mang, earths fury etc. but it doesn’t. They are all basically for collection only. So why are people upset? Devs are actually trying to do something good here by making previous GREAT event weapons that people may have missed available again and some people can only focus on these useless ones will still cost 5 bucks. :man_shrugging:

It’s like someone offering for free dozens of ice creams of every flavor but instead of saying thanks instead you say “What? No vanilla!!! How dare you!?”

For those disappointed they can’t get full collection for free, direct your anger to the $50 pet each platform has.

2 Likes

All the old weapons used to be available for free. You could get them either with glory or gems.
Everything used to be available for free. The only exception was the Deathknight armor.
It is not the case anymore. And it is not fair for the new players.
So how is it supposed to be “something good”?

16 Likes

I presume these are mythical level weapons. If so–
Under no circumstance should a mythical weapon ever be needed to power up a kingdom unless there’s another mythical weapon available that can be crafted (or gained another way via a free process) for every kingdom.

I don’t think real money should ever be needed to power up a kingdom in this free to play game.

2 Likes

… in the soulforge for free (no $$$ required)

1 Like

Nope none of these are Mythic level.

They are all Epic or Legendary. 1 UR I believe as well.

Thank you for making the game more enjoyable each and every day. @Saltypatra @Cyrup

1 Like

I think what weapons were was very different 3-5 years ago. I think the decisions made about what they should “cost” and when/how they should be reintroduced were sound then. The game was small, and heroes were mostly overpowered by troops. For a long dang time the only hero weapon anyone cared about was only obtainable with souls.

Where we are now is what stinks about the infinite updating F2P model. I might get the order wrong but first: much more powerful weapons were introduced to get players excited. Next: weapon upgrades were created to address poor player opinion. Finally: hero classes were updated to make them strong enough to enter regular play.

A couple of years ago the only meta hero team was “Dawnbringer, Mab, and whatever is broken with that this update”. Now it’s hard to name a meta team that isn’t using the hero, and we’re clamoring for almost a dozen weapons. And as people keep bringing up, we know in the future weapons will be even more important for kingdom stars.

I think it’d be safe for the devs to re-evaluate how they value weapons. This game gets more complicated with every new feature, and things that weren’t important 2 years ago might turn out vital next year. For all we know, in 4.5 Treasure Hunt will be optimal.

That said, 300 diamonds for Rope Dart and the “exciting” weapons seems fair. That’s about the cost of a legendary troop. I think it’s fair to say Rope Dart is as strong as many legendary troops and some mythics.

The part that’s bonkers and I think messes people up is none of the weapons being put on the “cash only” pedestal hold a candle to Rope Dart. That feels kind of shady, as newer players might assume a cash-only weapon is the strongest available. But in terms of educated players, this is kind of OK.

I feel like what we have here is maybe an OK plan, but the devs led with their worst foot. I think if they opened with Rope Dart at 300-500 diamonds, people would’ve been excited. Instead they opened with a weapon that’s free “but we’re going to make it cost something later” and we don’t know when the weapons people actually want will show up.

I guess we’ll find out after a little while passes. The hope I see in this is prices can be adjusted, and now that the system exists it can be tweaked. I’m trying to figure out why I’m still mad at this implementation and not coming up with a lot of reasons beyond how hard we had to fight for the simplest possible fix.

3 Likes

UKresistanceScrooge McMoa

3h

All the weapons you have to pay money for suck. All of them.
I submit, you have’nt looked at them all closely. Damage is based on my magic level, so it may differ for other people. Still…
Bear Totem springs to mind, 21 base damage is’nt great ,but it gets stronger every cast (every green gem removed adds to magic). Sounds like a nasty weapon on green day GW.
Fire & Ice: 26 damage to all enemies & gives a (very) small amount of life. Dawnbringer level, no, but it does’nt suck.
Goblin Crusher: Now your hero can get in on the goblin smashing fun along with gob-chomper. Still see a lot of goblin teams in PVP. And since every brown pet rescue is goblins…
Sands of Time: This is a free 31 pt heal to everyone, as it also gives an extra turn.
Staff of Madness: Deals 27 dmg to all enemies & steals a random stat from each one.
Prey Seeker. 22 true damage to an enemy & double if they have hunter’s mark. Gee, if only there were class talents that assign hunter’s mark to enemy troops…
And this is not including upgrades.
Now, are these as powerful as Rope Dart, Earth’s Fury, Trickster’s Shot, Yasmine’s Pride? No.
How about Sky Hero or Flammifer? I’d say yes.
And they’re a lot better than a hefty percentage of the event weapons. Look up Darkshot, or Deathspire, or Doomed Codex, just to name 3.

1 Like

Well…you have to realize that hero weapons came out Long before Champion traits. So, if you think about it, at 1 a week, that list is almost half a year of weapons that came out at some point that are no longer available…

As I mentioned on stream yesterday, it isn’t only us that gets to make the final call on all decisions. When speaking to Sirrian and Nim in the office they were primarily concerned with making old weapons available again, as that was the primary community concern that we saw across all of our socials. The issue of not every weapon being available for crafting is a separate issue, and one that is unlikely to be changed in the short term.

Sirrian and Nim were always primarily concerned with making old weapons available again, particularly those purchased with gems in various weekly event tiers. (Invasions, ToD, Raid Boss, etc.)

Unfortunately we are unable to offer all weapons through crafting, and knew this could be an issue. This is a decision that many parties weighed in on, As I mentioned above, our goal was to make old unavailable weapons available again, which is what we have done. The issue you are discussing here is a separate one. We understand where the playerbase are coming from, but it is not something that we are able to change at this time.

The explanation I offered is the truth of the matter, and I know it doesn’t paint us in the best light. however, I wanted to be transparent about what was happening, which is why I explained the issue as best I could. In my first post I mention that this won’t happen in future, and that War & Peace is a weird exception.

I’m sorry that you feel this way, and we are still passionate about not pay-gating content. The weapons were once available for glory, and we made it clear when they were offered that it would be the only time this was the case. I understand that this isn’t the answer you want, and I can see why you’d be frustrated.

The weapons that are purchasable with money aren’t considered meta weapons, and not using them won’t impact a player’s ability to compete at a higher level. In fact, many people are only interested in them as a means to complete their collection, as the weapons listed don’t see significant competitive use.

Unfortunately this was not an option due to the economy of the game. Us and our publishers must consider issues such as these, and a decision that made us, our publisher, and our playerbase all happy was not possible. We did out best to address the specific concern of older weapons being unavailable, and have done so.

Sirrian implemented the solution he had always planned, but it does look like there has been some misinterpretation or bad communication regarding our actions. In future, I will endeavour to make sure that we are clearer about these things, especially during Dev Q & As.

I’ve done my best to address a lot of the concerns raised, and I hope this helps clarify our stance and actions.

16 Likes

Actually, as an Addendum to the useful list, I add Eternal Flame. 8 yellow, change a specific gem to red and create 7 more random red. That’s changing 12% of the board to red… not bad for 8 yellow.

Also, as someone that Owns Prey Seeker, the last affix on it is to give hunter’s mark to All enemies… so, it Is its own buff machine (I know you didn’t include upgrades…this is the one one from that list that jumps to mind… the other weapons you name? I don’t know Any affixes for them offhand…)

Thank you, @Saltypatra!!!

2 Likes

After reading @Saltypatra’s post, I have to agree. I have been playing basically since the beginning and am unfortunately missing one old event weapon (eggsplosion) but, as much as I would like to have it, I think I missed it in the $5 bundle when it came around recently. Most of the weapons on the old list aren’t really used much, it is moreso for completionists to get all the weapons that is the big problem here I think. Honestly, I only use a few off that list, and have told my guild that when Eternal Flame comes up, they really should spend the $5 and get it. It looks crappy overall, but is actually quite nice for powering up teams with a low cast cost… (8 yellow effectively lets you make 8 red. you pick one the CPU picks the other 7). I agree it won’t make people happy, but I understand that this is probably the only Easy way to make old weapons available again… Good luck to everyone getting the ones you want!