[Challenge] A banner a deck

Hey guys !

I guess we’ll all agree that what we love the most in this game is nothing else than… Deck building !
I’ve challenged myself to build one deck per banner, to try to build the best deck per banner.

I only set myself only 3 rules :

• The deck must work best with the selected banner for a reason
  • The deck must be good in PvP (on a sample of 20 PvP, no more than 1 loss at my lvl : ~450)
  • I must be able to come up with a badass name for the deck !

I thought I could share some deck ideas, and also share the challenge if you wanna take part :wink:

Banner : Adana (Red / Yellow)
Name : Asguardians
Troops :

• Jarl Firemantle
  • Valkyrie
  • Frost Giant
  • Zephyros
    Rating : 3/5
    Strategy : Jarl feeds Valkyrie who feeds Frost Giant and Zephyros. This deck is actually planned for 1.0.9, when Frost Giants gets frozen effect and changes mana source to blue / earth.

Banner : Adana (Red / Yellow)
Name : Asguardians
Troops :

• Jarl Firemantle
  • Valkyrie
  • Frost Giant
  • Zephyros
    Strategy : Jarl feeds Valkyrie who feeds Frost Giant and Zephyros. This deck is actually planned for 1.0.9, when Frost Giants gets frozen effect and changes mana source to blue / earth.

Banner : Broken Spire (Blue / Brown)
Name : Stone Cold
Troops :

• (Hero) Farsight Orb
  • Acolyte
  • Soothsayer
  • Terraxis
    Rating : 2/5
    Strategy : Farsight Orb and Soothsayer’s spells can be filled in a single mana surge with this banner / the stone links in this team. Farsight Orb fills Acolyte that fills Farsight and Soothsayer. Soothsayer powers up everyone while collecting mana here and there. When Terraxis is loaded, he will deal big AoE damage and easily give you an extra turn. Hero and Acolyte can grow quite big… I expect this deck to be more efficient in 1/0/9 (hero boost). The blue bonus part of the banner feels unnecessary but helps filling Acolyte in 2 turns with a surge (once hero is dead).

Banner : Darkstone (Brown / Purple)
Name : Draconic Lullaby
Troops :

• (Hero) Crescendo
  • Alchemist
  • Watcher
  • Shadow Dragon
    Rating : 4/5
    Strategy : Quite a fun deck to play. Too bad that it struggles a bit against poison immunes (shadow dragon / watcher combo not working). Obviously, you fill Alchemist to fill Shadow Dragon to fill everyone but Alchemist. It doesn’t loop well, but you also block ennemy combos thanks to Watcher. I don’t know how it will evolve in 1.0.9 since Crescendo might get a little nerf at this point…

Banner : Divinion Fields (Yellow / Purple)
Name : Bones & Souls
Troops :

• Templar
  • Green Slime
  • Valkyrie
  • Keeper of Souls
    Rating : 5/5
    Strategy : my all time favorite farm deck, very potent. Fill Valkyrie (preferably on yellows) to fill Templar / Green Slime. If you can fire Green Slime to get an extra turn, do so, if you can’t, fire Templar so that either you get an extra turn or you fill Green Slime (if needed) and don’t let too much free turns to your ennemy. Next turn, fire Green Slime to get Keeper Of Souls loaded. Rinse and repeat.

Banner : Forest Of Thorns (Green)
Name : Crusaders
Troops :

• Templar
  • Valkyrie
  • Paladin
  • Rowanne
    Strategy : You can fill Valkyrie in 2 turns if you have a surge and pick yellows overs reds (thanks to Paladin’s Air Link). Valkyrie fills Templar and Rowanne, Rowanne deals heavy damage, Templar fills Paladin and Rowanne all whil boosting their armor for even more damages. The big down side is that it’s an armor dependant deck… And we know all too well how Bone Dragon is present it a lot of defensive decks…

Banner : Ghulvania (Red / Purple)
Name : Pain Cycle
Troops :

• Venoxia
  • Green Slime
  • Valkyrie
  • Shadow-Dragon
    Strategy : You fill Valkyrie in 2 turns (with a surge and a red gem match). Then you fill Green Slime, use it’s spell to fill Venoxia and Shadow-Dragon, Venoxia can replenish herself / Green Slime while Green Slime and Shadow-Dragon will easily have free turns thanks to all the green / purple gems you create. It loops quite well… But doesn’t deal much. Hopefully, Venoxia and Green Slime will grow stronger over time to deal more damage with the potential skull matches.

Banner : Grosh-Nak (Red / Brown)
Name : Drake Reborn
Troops :

• Soothsayer
  • Valkyrie
  • (Hero) Sheggra’s Heart
  • Sheggra
    Strategy : I actually prefer Soothsayer than Glade Warden. More gems spwaned for your Hero and for Sheggra and helps a lot gathering mana faster with its empowered trait. Valkyrie will then fill quite fast (depending on the mana you got for her via Soothsayer’s spell), to fill the hero that will, in time, fill Sheggra to destroy everything. Rinse and repeat.

Banner : Karakoth (Purple)
Name : Bone Throne
Troops :

• Centaur Scout
  • Skeleton
  • Giant Spider
  • Shadow-Dragon
    Strategy : The all too well know one turn filled Skeleton. With 2 magic links and a double purple banner, one purple mana surge gives you 10 mana. Skeleton then fills the board with skulls for Centaur Scout to crush everyone.

Banner : Khaziel (Brown)
Name : Tremors
Troops :

• Jarl Firemantle
  • Drake Rider
  • Terraxis
  • Autumnal Imp
    Strategy : This is kinda a do or die deck : you create a lot of red / yellow via Jarl, that fills Terraxis but you’ll need luck to have extra turns on it. If you are lucky enough on your first go, you’ll link Jarl, Terraxis, Drake Rider, Jarl again easily. With Terraxis’ extra magic from its magic spirit, you’ll do big AoE damages. Autumnal Imp cleans the targets with low life all while collecting a bit of mana and powering up.

Banner : Khetar (Blue / Purple)
Name : Cursed Yggdrasil
Troops :

• Gloom Leaf
  • Green Seer
  • Dryad
  • Druid
    Strategy : Gloom Leaf’s tankyness with all traits is a secret to no one. Backed up by a Dryad that can fill in one blue surge on a 3 match (banner + Druid’s water link). The purple part of the banner helps Green Seer fill in 2 turns (with surge / purple mana) to help Gloof Leaf grow its armor / attack / health (through Huge traits + Gloom Leaf’s spell).

Banner : Maugrim Wood (Blue / Green)
Name : Poison Heavy
Troops :

• Green Slime
  • Venoxia
  • Green Seer
  • Webspinner
    Strategy : We are already familiar with the Venoxia / Green Slime combo. This one will feed extra purples to Green Seer and extra blue to Webspinne. This is a really slow deck though, not very amusing…

Banner : Mist Of Scales (Red / Blue)
Name : Death Fire Touch
Troops :

• Glade Warden
  • Valkyrie
  • Azyris
  • Anointed One
    Strategy : This is actually a farm deck. Glade Warden / Azyris make quick kills, Valkyrie create souls… You fill Valkyrie first (2 3 gems matches using a surge and red banner) to load Anointed One (only one 5- blue match with Valkyrie’s link + blue banner) who will load both Valkyrie and Azyris. Azyris sets up the killink blow for Glade Warden. Rinse and repeat.

Banner : Pan’s Vale (Green / Yellow)
Name : Roo’n’Loot
Troops :

• Blade Dancer
  • Alchemist
  • Swamplash
  • Green Seer
    Strategy : Blade Dancer stripes everyone of their armor while being a decent frontline thanks to his agility. Alchemist fills in 2 turns thanks to his own fire link trait. Early game Alchemist will fill Blade Dancer and Green Seer relatively easily thanks to the banner and Blade Dancer’s fast trait. Then Green Seer’s synergy with Swamplash isa secret to no one. Get rid of all troops one at a time, but you might want to entangle the first unit with Swamplash when you are threatened by a Bone Dragon / Sheggra / Skeleton / Keeper of Soul.

Banner : Prideland (Red)
Name : Rocket Science
Troops :

• Soothsayer
  • Alchemist
  • (Hero) Eternal Flame
  • Goblin Rocket
    Strategy : Alchemist can fill in a single 3 red gem match (mana surge). He then fills hero and Goblin Rocket. Hero can refill Alchemist and even Goblin Rocket, especially when his magic gets high enough thanks to Soothsayer. It is not a very fun deck, but very powerfull when you takes the time to think before using your spells. It can one turn kill some high level players on Warlord 4, believe me. First troop can be changed for a lot of things as it is expendable. Soothsayer is the best option right before Boar Rider in my opinion.

Banner : Stormheim (Blue)
Name : Winter Is Coming
Troops :

• Shadow Hunter
  • Valkyrie
  • Zephyros
  • (Hero) Imperial Jewel
    Strategy : As always, you can fill Valkyrie in 2 turns (Zephyros has Air Link). Enjoy the +4 blue mana on Valkyrie’s spell. Shadow Hunter gets +2 magic from Magic Spirit and will leave an ennemy with few health. Zephyros comes in for the kill having +3 magic from Air Spirit while most likely only clearing armor off other ennemies, thus not lowering Shadow-Hunter next spell damages. Rinse and repeat. Hero is here to collect any mana left for him and help Zephyros clear the battle.

Banner : Sword’s Edge (Blue / Yellow)
Name : Abomination
Troops :

• Abhorath
  • Alchemist
  • Valkyrie
  • Celestasia
    Strategy : Alchemist fills Valkyrie (and Celestasia a bit). Valkyrie fills Abhorath (and Celestasia another bit). Abhorath grows a lot of HP from Huge. Celestasia boost his HP some more so that when Abhorath uses his spell, he will get a lot of health back. Your only fear? Ever loosing Abhorath too early.

Banner : Whitehelm (Yellow)
Name : Spellbound
Troops :

• Green Slime
  • Alchemist
  • Valkyrie
  • Banshee
    Strategy : Alchemist → Valkyrie and Banshee. Valkyrie → Green Seer. Green Seer → Banshee. Alsothe board should be well setup for Banshee from Valkyrie’s spell, thus enabling Banshee to give mana back to both Alchemist and Valkyrie.

Banner : Wild Plains (Green / Red)
Name : Fairy Fury
Troops :

• Treant
  • Alchemist
  • Sylvasi
  • Green Seer
    Strategy : Alchemist to Green Seer, Green Seer to Treant and Sylvasi, Sylvasi back to Green Seer. Note than Sylvasi can’t steal any attack from an entangled troop… Sad thing considering how well they can be paired… Also, did I mention how good a tank Treant is?

Banner : Zaejin (Green / Brown)
Name : Trolin’Goblin
Troops :

• Hobgoblin
  • Goblin Shaman
  • Boar Rider
  • Goblin King
    Strategy : Strategy? Since when do goblins need any strategy?

Banner : Zhul’Kari (Green / Purple)
Name : Monstruous Slime
Troops :

• Green Slime
  • Green Seer
  • Goblin Shaman
  • Finley
    Strategy : this deck is VERY powerfull… But the slowest you might have ever played ! Green Slime feeds Goblin Shaman and Green Seer who will then feed Green Slime and Finley. It almost always setsup itself to continue the combo. Ever dreamed of having a Green Slime reaching 1000 Magic / Attack / Armor / Health? This is the way to go. It’s not worth a 4 peasant team as a defense deck though (although it was my purposely bad defense deck for a long while !)

So… Anyone having the will to build a lot of different teams? Trying stuff out of the meta? Submit all your bannered deck !

2 Likes

I really wish there was 100+ deck slots. There really needs to be more incentive in the game to encourage deck building rather than awarding the use of the same 1-3 strong builds over and over again.

2 Likes

Well, for that, imbalance needs to be adressed first… And Soul starvation without Valkyrie too :confused:

Why would 100 deck slots encourage more deck building in players that aren’t even using 20 (or even 5)?

I said that we need both, not that more slots would inherently encourage more diversity of builds. I should have made the distinction that they were different points. More slots can help though for people with nearly everything maxed. I am stuck having to override builds if I ever want to try a new one, making me less likely to try new builds due to having 20 solid builds.

As separate points they make a lot more sense. :slight_smile:

I agree there needs to be more incentives to run types of decks.

A while back there was a thread talking about after battle rewards based on deck themes, that could be fun.

1 Like

I’ll show you one from the Console version (a flashback to simpler times for you guys);

Banner : Khaziel (Brown/Brown)
Name : We can’t name our Teams yet, any suggestions? (It’s my main deck and wins 99.7%)
Troops :

• Gloom Leaf
  • Gorgotha
  • Keeper of Souls
  • Celestatia
    Strategy : Match any browns you can, you get 5 (8 for a Surge), and yellows to fill Gorgotha. Leftovers will spillover to KoS and Celestatia, eliminating Mana burn. You can avoid Red/Green, the board fill usually be 40-50% full of them if you do by the time you charge Gorgotha and you can instantly fill Gloom Leaf with one Gorgotha bomb.

Gloom Leaf’s Corruption should be fired off as fast as possible and preferably 2-3x by the time you kill the first enemy Troop. Fire him off until his attack is greater than the highest enemy Troop alive. Use Celestatia to try to get a Corruption-Radiance-Corruption combo and you basically have won the game. Then completely ignore Red/Green.

Keeper of Souls is the MVP of this team. Once Gloom Leaf fires once, he can kill in 2-3 Skull matches, easily done with Keeper (once you do the second Corruption, it’s a bloodbath). Gorgotha will usually be firing every turn, sometimes multiple times because of drops. You can get a favourable board for Keeper very easy with this Team.

Celestatia is a multi-tool, countering all of this Team’s weaknesses. Healing for True Damage and general durability, Cleanse for Silence/Entangle and generating Mana to fill the slight gaps that come from having high costs.

1 Like