Chalcedony is trash

Just as the title says. A game ruining troop that is awful. No skill required to use and will soon be the reason I quit playing. Why, because if this is where the game is headed, I want no part of it. As if one wasn’t enough, they just released another troop just like her. Good job devs, I can’t believe you actually okayed troops like this. I’m disappointed no one’s called this out before. Maybe the community as a whole is just complacent or likes being cheap and uninventive now. Sure, just use 6 teams like this in guild wars. I’m sure I won’t stick around when they decide to keep throwing them in for every kingdom. I’m sure I’m not alone in this so I say boycott these troops or get a petition going to get them out of the game. Eventually it will happen because people will get tired of fighting them. Believe me, I’ve held my tongue on how I really feel about these kinds of troops.

1 Like

Not sure what bracket you are in but if my opponent used a Chalce team I’d be very happy. I have not seen any defense team with her in GW so she is not a problem.

4 Likes

It feels like a goblin team.

I remember years ago when people used to complain about Goblins looping for ages.

Then they introduced Frozen.

14 Likes

If one of those troops is based on Wildfolk or Mystic, things will become really nasty. That would mean, you can put Beetrix into the team. And on the Mystic side, there’s a bunch of empowered transform troops too.

And Frozen works against Chalcedony.

But I like her, cause she’s good at farming so I can get stuff.

2 Likes

She’s good for newer players but for veterans there are better options that are faster.

Yes, she can loop if not frozen but it can also be a real slog of you try to win with her.

She’s not unbeatable at all.

6 Likes

I find Chalcedony irritating when I play Explore in Hellcrag, because most of the teams will maxx out her boost. And because my “usual” Explore-12 team isn’t designed to deal with her if she isn’t tanking. But my coping mechanism there is to pull a different team out when I’m doing high-level explore in Hellcrag.

I also find Chalcedony mildly irritating in PvP, but most of the teams I deploy there can deal with her or her friends one way or another if it’s a team built to maxx out her boost. And if they can’t, Chalcedony isn’t so omnipresent in that game mode that she isn’t very easily avoided.

And I’ve yet to see her in Guild Wars since I jumped to Bracket 1. It might almost be a relief to see her there, because it would make a novel change from the same handful of Bracket 1 meta teams that everybody seems to deploy. (Even me, on defense.)

3 Likes

settle in, because we’re in for four more of these for the other four mana colors

it’s cemented now that the devs consider self-fueling, zero-effort death loops to be -good- design balance

1 Like

Chalcedony is one of the Queens in my realm, she and her sister. Good job devs!

I’m saying, there are far worse troops than her, (hello Goblins, yea, I’m looking at y’all :sweat_smile:).

There will always be an annoying troop-loop-de-loopy-de-loop. :laughing:

I can’t stand them but hey, I got my game up, got better at playing. Like others have mentioned, freeze, bring winter to summer, freeze.

And if ya still can’t win, (maybe 2 out of the plus matches) with freezing her butt, don’t worry it’s just a game.

Don’t care if I’m old to the game, Chalcedony is one of my girls as I say and she gets to work (snaps his fingers) :rofl:

:sunglasses:

Nothing that Elementalist class or Freeze, Stun trait, or Essence of Evil or many other things can’t fix.

3 Likes

Like I said, if one of those journey troops is mystic type and can be paired with Beetrix, freezing by itself won’t help anymore. Bonus points, if it is the yellow one, that would get an instant push from Moon Rabbit.

… if I didn’t know, that noone from the team reads in here, I’d be worried, they would prepare just that now to troll us.

1 Like

Stun shuts down Queen B. Freeze slows down Chalcedony, while Zuul eats her for breakfast. She’s not invulnerable. The trick is to get her before she’s loaded.

5 Likes

Silence also does the job

2 Likes

insert complaint about “Empowered convertors/generators” here

3 Likes

You do know that nobody’s forcing you to use her, don’t you?

She gives lower-level player an opportunity to punch above weight, but outside that? I personally have never used her except for Journey event and a few Geomancer class event battles simply because there’s a high number of teams that do everything I need much better than any Chalcedony team can.

She’s not good enough for me to use for general play, never lost a single fight (PvP or otherwise) against a team using her, so I don’t see what’s the big fuss about.

EDIT. To be extra clear, “I personally have never used her” discounts testing teams, I am talking about regular use in gameplay only.

6 Likes

Not good enough? Not even a little? :thinking:

I do like how she can get you a lot of gold, and some treasure maps just by using her (from looping). I know there are other troops there for that but if you were using her is what I’m saying, she’s useful for this at least (at least to me).

Oh, don’t mind me, I’m just defending my girl. :sweat_smile:

Precisely what I said earlier - good team when you have nothing better.

Irongut exists…and that sort of settles the question. I tried out Chalcedony team and don’t see any way for it to take the upper hand overall.

Can I add another complaint to the pile?

I was trying to complete this week’s (Switch) Campaign task of “Win Explore runs in Hellcrag at Lv.6”. No problem, right?

Until the mini-boss battle features CHALCEDONY + THE TOWER.

TWICE.

There’s literally no counterplay for this – once Chalcedony starts casting, it’s over. Because it’s not going to BE your turn. EVER.

Now the problem isn’t so much Chalcedony itself, but its specific pairing with The Tower:

• Because of the all-construct team, Chalcedony’s spell creates 15 Brown Gems (3 base + 4 x3 boost ratio). This is unprecedented for almost ANY troop, let alone a Troop that can loop its own Mana color (compare Frost Lizard). Almost every other troop capable of creating >10 Gems of a s ingle color (e.g. Desert Troll) is either a color OTHER THAN its own, or at least a color at random (e.g. Couatl).
  • So when Chalcedony casts, it generates (typically) about 20 Mana, which is much more than enough to refill itself and cast again on the following turn – and in maybe 70% of cases, this is on top of matching 4+ Gems and getting an Extra Turn enabling it to loop turns indefinitely (like Detect-o-Bot, or Necrocorn, or Mimic…).
  • Chalcedony’s spell also typically generates enough Mana to fill The Tower, too. So in the event that Chalcedony doesn’t just immediately cast again, (e.g. in the rare opportunity that it doesn’t actually refill its own Mana), The Tower casts instead, which (alongside the Brown Gems created by Chalcedony) is an almost-guaranteed Extra Turn and +1 Gargoyle Gems on the board.
  • The more The Tower casts, the more Gargoyle Gems start filling the board. As these are not affected by “create gem” spells, the more this happens, the tighter Chalcedony’s looping becomes.

But why is this such a problem? Surely you can just Freeze Chalcedony, right?

Well … yes, but actually no. Looping teams are nothing new, that’s WHY Freeze exists to begin with. But you have to actually trigger the Freeze yourself first, and unless you are running Queen Mab (or similar passive traits) this means alternating turns with Chalcedony, knowing that one cast from Chalcedony will possibly lose you the whole match.

And the second reason: Prevention is not Counterplay. Most strategies involve multiple discrete steps and you can simply break any “link” in the chain to stop it, but here, there’s literally only one link in the chain: Chalcedony itself. When the team strategy is effectively “we’re just going to keep having MY turn until you give up”, that’s not counterplay.

Compare and contrast every Zuul’Goth – Invulnerable trait aside, there’s literally nothing the target can do to protect itself, BUT Zuul’Goth can only kill one troop at a time, doesn’t loop mana, can’t hit Stealthy troops and you can usually find at least one Summoner (even Stealthy summoners like Egg Thief) to replace the Troop killed. You have multiple options beyond “just kill him faster”.

And the more important question overall is – if that’s the problem, how does one “fix” it? So, to close out my little rant, here are some actual ideas:

• Change Chalcedony’s Mana Color(s). A controversial idea, I know, but this really IS the source of the problem, and desperate matches can justify some desperate measures.
  • Reduce Chalcedony’s boost ratio. Maybe make it 2x instead of 3x (i.e: 3-11 total Gems), or maybe remove the base +3 Gems (i.e: 0-12 Gems) so that it scales ONLY by Boost Ratio (compare Detect-o-Bot). Remember, the more the board is cluttered with “inert” Gems the more likely Chalcedony will loop.
1 Like

Just saying, but on every other platform but Switch there’s already 2 more of this kind right now. One is purple and the other is green. All of them are journey troops and tbh they’re quite amazing once you’ve learned how to handle them (offense and defense).

Don’t worry, they might look quite OP now, but they’re not if you switch up your gameplay a little (no pun intended).

And if you still need to to delves, pair Chalcedony with Mang and Geomancer class and you’ll jump to level 500 with no potions or being a low level easily (of course only when the correct colour scheme is available. Green for example will be Vulpacea/Wargare).