I’m using iOS. During a big chunk of the day, I’m at work. So I leave GoW on the map screen. Every now and then, I check my tribute by starting the app.
What I expect is that, upon waking from background, if it’s been some long interval, the game tries to check tribute again, and would also show me a pet rescue notification. This would allow me to conveniently pay attention to the game an extra 8 hours a day.
What happens instead is the game doesn’t really check for anything, but it does log into annoying iOS Game Center. I have to go do something that causes it to ask the server, generally check my in-game mail. When I do that, the game:
- Checks to see if it should display News because sometimes that pops up.
- Checks to see if it should show the Offers screen because sometimes that pops up.
- Checks to see if it should ask me to leave a review because sometimes that pops up.
So the only things it checks for when I return from background seem to be the obtrusive things I don’t want, and it neglects to check for the obtrusive things I might want.
Ideas, if you’re hoping to not be intrusive:
- You can put a number/emblem on the Chests screen to show me how many keys I have. Maybe put one of those on Games so I know there’s a pet rescue.
- Many players won’t consider the pet rescue screen obtrusive for a few more weeks, because we’re desperately trying to catch 'em all and ascend them. Making it an optional popup would be nice.
- Instagram can randomly notify me that some jerk from high school just joined and I ought to follow them. Gems of War ought to be able to notify me a pet rescue is active.
- If I click Pet Rescue when one isn’t active/has expired, maybe it should offer to do a quick check with a 5-10m cooldown.