Can we talk about the art for Mervorax?

Maybe not, but it’s a problem for the Devs if they get sued for IP infringement

How would you feel, personally, if took whatever work you’re doing today away from you and used it for myself, but didn’t compensate you?

I mean, then my work “just looks like your work” right? I did the hard work of taking it.

I’m sure he meant licensed from other games.
I wouldn’t care either if it weren’t all original.

I guess maybe? Nothing in this thread even hints at licensed content though.

I wonder if the artist sells the image for use, but keeps the original license for further use/resale.

If so, they’d be all liable to sell their own work more than once (though refurbished?).
If not, then the team behind the ‘second use’ is in charge of the stolen goods.

1 Like

Why are we trying to Devil’s Advocate and defend the art house that’s been caught distributing copied art at least twice?

Generally an art house doesn’t let artists hold individual rights and make decisions for how their art is sold. Part of working for another person as an artist usually involves transferring your rights to that person. The only way you usually negotiate a better deal is to be someone whose art is famous enough the person with money feels they have to tempt you away from other people with money or, worse, starting your own art house based on your talent.

I don’t think the devs’ response indicates they think they’re buying stock art that might be present in other games. I’m willing to bet their commission contract explicitly states they want original art. Licensed art is a different thing entirely.

3 Likes

skellythinking
At least this time the team is not being evasive about such issues.

1 Like

Wow, just wow. Puts us artists to shame. Couldn’t they have at least changed the color scheme and inverted parts of the body if they’re going to so blatantly rip off another company’s art? CAPCOM no less. I immediately recognized and THOUGHT that this was the Legiacrus, but Monster Hunter is my favorite game series. I don’t play Gems anymore, but it’s nice to see that the devs are taking this more seriously than I thought they would be.

Well, at least it wasn’t an amateur artist tracing… er… ahem… i mean… being heavily influenced by the references of coprighted material and still delivering poor quality results which got approval.

(Leave to the undead to unearth old grievances and complaints. It’s a cultural thing @KYLENATOR001.)

1 Like

When it comes to plagiarism, the skeletons will be plagiarisen.

1 Like

I have a bone to pick.

No really, i think i lost a pinky somewhere…

I would have thought this would have been news to report or something…

Anyone know when this got fixed?

4 Likes

For me it’s not quite fixed. Just inverted (on android)…

1 Like

I first noticed it when they pushed the most recent update.

As mentioned above for Android, Mervorax is still infring-alicious on iOS.

That might be why there’s no official announcement at this point—seems not all platforms have the fix.

1 Like