Can the devs please play their game

im sorry i took 1 turn mr ai :sob:

rekt

9 Likes

I would really like the idea of a banned troop list, maybe pay a 200 coin deduction(before bonuses) per troop banned or something would help, at least in PVP.

1 Like

Some good ideas. Skipping the teams with the same defense as last time is great.
Banned list yeah, each one could cost more than the one before, or they’re limited in number.

I’d go so far as to recommend posting these in feature request category.

1 Like

What? He’s still alive? Nerf the alchemist!

21 Likes

So my first thought is…

IMG_0937

…except it’s Sirrian, so it’s one of the only people who could actually help, so now I’m torn!

2 Likes

I was just having a bit of fun at the poor Alchemist’s expense, but rest assured we ARE playing the game!

1. I think the GW defense bonus is going to help a lot with variety when it comes out. We’ll keep a close on that, of course, and if it doesn’t, it’s super easy for us to adjust the bonus and make it more worthwhile.

2. In 3.2, there is a change to the way Kraken’s trait resolves. IT resolves ONCE for each boardful of gems… which takes the edge off that team in the screenshot a little. I played around 50-ish games against various L1000+ Troll/Kraken teams last week in 3.2, and while you DO still have to pay attention, and try to keep green off the board, they feel considerably more balanced to me.

28 Likes

So for clarity it with only effect tentacles trait and not glob calculation mechanism is regards to mana generation or other gem match traits?

Balancing will be a constant battle and people will gravitate to the optimal solution. Lack of team variety is the thing that wears people down (besides win rates below a certain threshold).

So if there was a map with the various team variants and people were guaranteed to get a different defense team for 10 in a row, that would dramatically change the experience. If that caused common teams to get selected less often in matchup the resulting drop in glory,etc from defense wins would be an incentive to do more diverse defense teams.

The GW defense team bonus is an example where you’re already planning to address the problem for GW by changing the incentive structure. This could be the sort of solution for pvp.

2 Likes

That’s what it reads like, but I certainly hope it’s the latter. It doesn’t make sense that a single blob of orbs should count as multiple matches. Besides Kraken, it causes ridiculous stuff like Mab freezing an entire team with a single Troll cast. Same for all the other 4-5 match triggered traits.

It is for all match-type traits. Match 3 (i.e Krystanax), along with other Match 4/5 traits (i.e Mab, Kraken, etc.) will only resolve once per board. When gems start cascading, the traits will activate again.

15 Likes

Wow that is a pretty big change.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s awesome!

Yeah i dont know how i feel about that… Will change the entire game i feel

Can I just say that in addition to being the bearer of good news, you have the most fabulous avatar of the entire dev team?

3 Likes

Jotnar don’t say “thank you”. Can he have some compensation? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey! Every minute you spend replying to a forum post is a minute spent not playing your own game! Make every moment count!

8 Likes

@Sirrian @Alpheon

Any plans for rebalancing traits to fit this new paradigm? This kinda feels knee-jerk in the other direction, and a bandaid to cover the issue of blob matches. Match traits have always been able to resolve more than once per board, and this was never a problem until Unity blob matches allowed multiple match 5s to trigger from in a tight cluster sharing several gems between each match 5. It was really obvious on Kraken’s trait since it was an instant effect and has no way to cap out and have no effect, no other traits stacked with themselves quite this well. Where does this leave already medicore traits like “big”? What about Courage’s Virtue of Courage, which was already rebalanced (nerfed) to account for it getting multiple activations at the same time (at the same time taking away the biggest generator of said matches)? Maw and Drakkulis’ skull traits? Sekhma and Ketras (the latter who will have a much more difficult time reaching one-shot levels of damage, which is his primary function)? The biggest losers here stand to be Jotnar, and the recently released mythic Doomclaw (who are already both considered subpar), since they need a ton of trait activation for the trait to be even mediocre.

Is this going to be the final solution to the blob match issue? What about the tons of mana this is putting into the system from mostly random spawners (and occasionally converters) just because matches generate in certain small shapes?

11 Likes

It will be fine. It was fine for a long time, before trolls and Guardian.
This will slow down the game for both sides, and thus remove frustration a lot.

2 Likes

Yeah of course. But some traits are quite dependant of an high amount of 4+matches: effect on a random troop.
I don’t know if you used Jotnar, but you can have 10 4-matches and the trait can target the same troop…

They should add a buff for this mechanic, the randomness should prioritize non-affected troops.
So Give a random Ally a Barrier on 4 or 5 Gem matches.
Give a random Ally without Barrier a Barrier on 4 or 5 Gem matches.

Not sure if we want this buff for Mab :stuck_out_tongue: .

5 Likes

i don’t know what to feel. on fighting the enemy, i guess i will win 20 more out of my 40 loses? while on using affected troops, i have to make extra effort and play a longer game.

will this affect courage and humility too? if humility was hit by 2 kraken traits, will it count as 2 times hit or 1 time?