Call for Beta Testers

I would imagine you would want beta testers who represent all segments of your users. And in my experience, “doesn’t carefully read instructions” and “doesn’t understand instructions” is usually a large portion of any user base, especially when you have ESL users :slight_smile:

@Saltypatra Perhaps you should add the question “Do you use Discord?” or something like it, since it sounds like that will be required to participate?

1 Like

If GoW was an English only game. Id agree.

But GoW isn’t only for English speakers. And in fact there’s a lot of translation errors that beta testers could possibly find so we shouldn’t urge the devs not to take their application seriously. Considering…
If you copy and paste Saltys instructions to Google translate. And request it to go from English to Russian and back to English (I don’t speak Russian so I can’t say how it translates in that regard) you get this:

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think you DO agree :smiley:

All I was saying is you want beta testers who don’t pay too much attention or understand English perfectly as well, to make sure your UI will be clear enough even for them. And, if the beta test covers other languages as well, you definitely want people who actually speak that language.

As a side note, I’m sure there’s a lot of ESL players who use GoW in English, because their own language isn’t supported. Like myself for example :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I may then…

“I would imagine you would want beta testers who represent all segments of your users. And in my experience, “doesn’t carefully read instructions” or* “doesn’t understand instructions” is usually a large portion of any user base, especially when you have ESL users.”

But my point essentially was that if my translation is what the others saw then they were following the instructions as far as they could read. Because the pm or DM portion was literally lost in translation.

I am still waiting for this to actually happen. Every time my posts get flagged for no reason, and no action is taken, looks like this just isnt true.

Obviously this was a failure.

Here is something we both agree on. Ironic huh?

1 Like

There’s a fine line here but I side more with you than against you.

The problem is the devs speak and understand English, so being able to communicate technical details in English is a pretty big deal. I get that giving feedback about translation errors are important, but we have plenty of forum members who do so and are ignored. It’d just be a bigger insult to give them a “Beta Tester” flag and ignore them.

1 Like

@Sassy your reply can be considered off topic, so I can understand why this specific post has been flagged.

Please continue talking about the Beta without insulting each other or starting fights.

2 Likes

This is on topic?

Like I said

Sure is some nice thread bumping weather we are having. Be a shame for a nice post to get buried and be missed by people checking in on the weekend.

7 Likes

If I apply, maybe I can prevent things like this?

3 Likes

I, too, nominate Fizziepop to read the entire text of game to fix grammatical errors - war and peace did someone compare it to? :rofl:

2 Likes

@Fizziepop…don’t forget the random capitalisation that is present in each troop description. What’s all that about?

1 Like

This will be closing on Friday everyone!!!

I’ll be reviewing out testers over the weekend, and have the ball rolling next week.

19 Likes

Last day to apply!!!

6 Likes

This may be a funny suggestion to you - but I’m a reader, and I’ve been around GoW for so long that I’ve probably done that at least a dozen times over already, so the humour is a little lost on me sorry. :wink:
I simply call that “life”. :grin:

What’s PM? Sorry I really don’t know.

Private Message. You can click on her name and then click Message and it will pop up for you

guess you guys might have missed it → 4d ago was the last day to apply

Thank you!