Best wishes for Salty from the players community

To break some context to the matter, on Wednesday’s PQ stream, Salty presented her personal theory on why she is being attacked.

She referred to the game as many players’ safe spaces. The transformation of the game over time is removing those safe spaces, which in turn is causing some people to become hostile in response (they see themselves as being attacked are instinctively counterattacking). I can’t disagree with her conclusions. I think she’s hit the bullseye here.

Here’s the thing though. She’s not just being attacked at work, which to a degree is to be expected as the PR person as part of the job. The attacks are following her home. They’re across her social media channels, as well. Cyberbullying is a very real threat, and the anonymity of the Internet only encourages and facilitates such behavior.

Yes, @Saltypatra takes a lot of crap every day. And so does @Kafka, @Cyrup, and does the rest of the support team. But, they also immensely care as well. They are all only human, and no matter the nerves of steel they have to deal with the incoming daily abuse, there’s only so much they can take over a given length of time. As the direct point of contact for most players, Salty ensures a considerable brunt of the incoming flak. If Salty needs to disconnect for awhile, then she should do it for her own mental health.

That’s more important than anything else, even us. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wishing Salty (and everyone else) the best over the holidays,
Lyrian and Lyranica

10 Likes

@Saltypatra you’re the best community manager and I will throw hands on your behalf. Keep being your beautiful, upbeat, dabbing gone wild self, no matter what. You are appreciated over here​:hugs::heart: #bestgirl

2 Likes

I’m just here to say The Middle is a GREAT song when things got you down :slight_smile:

Also ty for all the support for Salty <3
This thread has been a breath of fresh air especially because some of our harshest critics have posted support <3 It helps bring things back into perspective after a hard past month or so.

20 Likes

I don’t play anymore but I logged into my email account where I get forum updates from here and had to reply.

@Saltypatra and every other part of the team here, just ignore the idiots. The game is what it is to whoever it is and it isn’t your actual job, or job as a person to take abuse from anybody.

2 Likes

I’m very late to this thread, because I had no idea this crap was happening. I had a mistaken belief that people could be civilized, even behind their screens.

@Saltypatra, I am so sorry this has happened to you. I know we don’t agree on everything, but there is no excuse for the poison people have been spewing at you. Please believe that the great majority of us appreciate you and everything you do.

10 Likes

singing
We love you salty, oh yes we do :heart:

2 Likes

Best wishes to @Saltypatra, and the rest of the development team as well. I appreciate the efforts you all do for the game and its community. Be well, and may 2020 be a better year for you all.

On behalf of da Raiders, thanks for a great 2019.

2 Likes

I want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread from the bottom of my heart. It warms me to my very core that some of the people who clash with the devs the most have taken the time to look at this thread and post extremely nice and positive things about Salty. It just shows how much we all care for the mental health of everyone involved in this game. It truly means a lot to me and @Mailin that everyone here has been super nice and positive, even if they don’t agree with the devs a lot. That just goes to show that when it comes down to it, we all care deeply for the devs of this game. This is absolutely wonderful and I’m moved to near tears at how strongly we all feel on this issue. Once again, I wish Salty the best and I hope we’ve made her feel better.

5 Likes

Salty I’m sorry to hear some people thought it necessary to attack you in a very low way.
I guess it’s a “modern” problem but still it think it’s the most cowardly way to do those things.
People who do something like that are the lowest.
I hope you won’t let them get you under because then they have won and they should loose.

3 Likes

Thanks for the warm wishes everyone, they mean a lot.

I’m taking some time to regroup over the holidays so I can return to work sparkly and new. All your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

23 Likes

I’m so glad you like it Salty and have a great holidays. We loves ya soo much​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

We love you Salty <3

2 Likes

Good to hear you didn’t (or don’t) give in to those cowards :wink:
I wish you a very Merry Christmas. :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:
It might be a bit early but still … I wish you all the best for the New year. :four_leaf_clover:

And also best wishes from all the scubadivers :mermaid: :merman:

2 Likes

This is the part I understand and I think a big part of why most patches are met with nothing but negative feedback. I feel it’s happening more because games are really starting to home in on addiction cycles. It makes it easier to be codependent on a game, and that emotional attachment makes people very passionate.

But it’s not a substitute for real therapy, and it’s no excuse for violent behavior. If you’re in a tough spot and you have the means, lean on professional help, not video games. Coping mechanisms can hurt as much as the original trauma if an unhealthy relationship develops. History’s filled with a line of artists who “did it to cope” but never found solace in it and succumbed to the illness.

Also if you’re not one of those people but know someone who is, nudge them towards real help. It’s worth losing a friendship to not be an enabler, trust me.

8 Likes

:heart: for doing the right thing, even if it hurts.

I’d also like to add that I think the most important thing is that we all, including Salty, do what we need to do for our good health, regardless of who ‘wins’. I don’t know where these icky feelings of mine are coming from, but much love for a swift and speedy recovery.

5 Likes

I don’t think I can offer much here that hasn’t already been said. I don’t disagree with the explanation of why threats were levied, but it in no way excuses the behavior. The person or persons making these threats crossed lines. Not just in making the threats themselves, but also in going into personal boundaries. Whoever it was made a choice to do this. Whether or not it made them feel (briefly) empowered by “fighting back”, it was objectively the wrong choice from a moral (and possibly legal) standpoint.

And while, yeah “thats the internet for you”, as in, any change (universally “unpopular” or not, in some cases) + large fanbase + degree of anonymity is going to dramatically increase the likelihood that somebody in there is willing to threaten personal harm to somebody involved and/or engage in stalkery behavior (or both), I still can’t help but feel disgusted. And for anybody willing to do this, I wish on them… a healthy level of introspection. A commodity that is apparently in short supply on “the internet” when we come to expect this kind of thing to happen.

I know I’m way late here as well, but I would also like to offer well wishes, @Saltypatra.

10 Likes