AVG Blocks Gems

AVG won’t let me play Gems since the new update, I have restarted my computer 5 times and it still won’t let me play.

Hello @IbstockMafia, some players are experiencing an error that about a corrupted file. One of the game files is currently being flagged by some anti virus programs such as AVG and Avast. The game doesn’t have a virus and the file can be unquarantined. If the file is quarantined or deleted the game won’t run correctly and you may receive an error message that a file is corrupted.

Please unquarantine the file, or make an exception for the game in your anti virus program if you haven’t already done so.

1 Like

Same thing here, filed a support request. Avast is blocking the exe and placing it in virus chest due to behavioral shield kicking in. I’ve uploaded file to Avast to let them investigate. You never know what comes out of the internet. They are quite fast and should add GoW to their exclusion list if everything is fine. I don’t think it is a good idea to pull anything out of virus chest without some insurance it is the right file.

1 Like

Mongo’s “something random happens” might need to be tweaked a bit. It might be too random. :laughing:

1 Like

This issue happened to me as well (using AVG). The scanner automatically deleted the .exe file. After taking it out of quarantine and making an exception for the file, Gems of War still wasn’t booting properly. The way I solved it was to go into Steam and open it from my library (instead of opening the shortcut for the game on my desktop).

Hope this helps a few people as a workaround to get their GW battle in for the day!

1 Like

AVG moved my EXE to quarantine four times even after adding an exception for it. I had to add the entire steamapps folder as an exception to finally get the game to launch.

AVG and Avast are both quarantining files, and we have contacted them to see if they can look at this issue further on their end. :slight_smile:

I say the game is a virus because im getting sick of it…muhahah too easy.

Here are some steps a player posted on steam that have helped others.

"For those with Avast, this is what you have to do to get this working. The issue is that there are TWO programs in the Gems of War folder that you need to create exceptions for to make this work. I am trusting here that this is a glitch on Avast’s part:

1. Open Avast and go to the Virus Chest (Protection | Virus Chest). On the three dots next to the Gems of War executable, choose’Restore and add exception"

2. In Avast, click on the settings button (gear in top right of screen). Click on the Protection tab, then the Virus scans tab. Then scroll down to the bottom to view exceptions. Add exception and navigate to your steamapps directory for Gems of War (mine is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Gems of War). Check the UnityCrashHandler32.exe file. You should now have both GemsofWare.exe and UnityCrashHandler32.exe in the exceptions list.

3. Try and run Gems of War. If you have a problem, I suggest some combination of having Steam Verify the Integrity of the Gems of War game, so it initiates the repair, restarting Steam, and restarting your computer."