Are we ever gonna have true player vs player?

Are we ever gonna have true PvP?.. I would love to face actual players, instead of a computer attacking with real players’ cards. Any news on this?..

1 Like

“No” still isn’t 10 characters.

2 Likes

What?.. …

Man I hope not. That’s not why I play this game.

He means this has been discussed to death and it’s never going to happen. The entire game would have to be dismantled and rebuild from scratch. So if you just gotta have your real time pvp, you’re going to have to play a different game, because it ain’t happening here.

Okay, well I am still new to this game and wasn’t here for any discussion lol… But thanks for the info!..

2 Likes

Yes you are new so I don’t mean this as any criticism. But all the previous discussions are still easily found with a quick search. Not everything is easily found on the forums. But the subject of actual PvP certainly is. :grinning:
Welcome to the forums.

It loading match

would not be as fun as opponent goes first, is thinking

you think, there are too opponent moves, free turn, opponent is thinking

many ways for an opponent to infinite stall.

opponent starts a long skull cascade, you lose, what a fun 8 minutes with 0 moves!

3 Likes

That could easily be fixed.
Each turn 10 seconds, if you don’t act, it goes over to the opponent.
Coin throwing at the begining for who goes first.
Time limit on match, whoever wins or whoever has most troops alive/most total dmg dealt/etc after 5 min.

But yea, the technical issues of actually implementing it doesn’t seem worth the investment.

1 Like

It’d still be a very different game. Matches that take <1m now will take a minimum of 2-3 minutes against a stubborn human opponent, longer if they make their move every 9 seconds.

And you’d still have matches where if you go second, you get to sit there for 2-3 minutes watching your opponent loop and make 1 move every 9 seconds to keep going until eventually killing you. Fun Police will be a thing, and their goal will be to win by making you retreat.

they actually mentioned some type of co op mode that is planned for the future but obv as a diff part of game not replacing pvp

Any article on that?.. Would love a co op mode too…

Whoever goes first will probably win; a coin flip doesn’t alleviate that. Too many things in the game are specifically designed to accelerate wins, so huge swaths of the game would need to be redesigned. Also, look at how much people rage due to the game’s massive luck factor already, then multiply that by a thousand for real-time PVP.

It would be a disaster with no benefit.

An Arena type of live pvp then?
Troops chosen outta 3 random cards for 3 rarities, no hero class, no weapon upgrades.

Looping and annoying teams would be highly impossible to achieve, unless onr has a perfect rng and get the perfectly matching 3 random troop choices.

Then it would be skills vs skill (or as close to that as it can get).

it was on their recent reddit ama

That’s probably closer to OK, but might still need weapon restrictions.

Overall I’m not a good person to go back and forth with because to me the value of GoW is I can occupy a 15 minute dull waiting room visit with 10-15 matches and feel like I got a good bit of gold and other trinkets. It’s interruptible: if I need to stop playing I can stop mid-match and even if that ends in me getting a loss because the game quit, it’s not a big deal.

PvP is completely different. I’ll have to spend more pre-match time waiting on match making. I’ll have to spend more loading time getting in sync. I’ll have to spend more time per turn waiting for my move to get sent to the other player, waiting for them to think, waiting to receive their move, etc.

Since it’s not an interruptible mode or one that lets me play fast-paced games, I’m against it. In an ideal world, it’d be released and have no impact on anything. In that world you could say, “Yeah but you just don’t like it, that’s not a reason to be against it.” But I think we both know the devs will want all players to engage with something they worked hard on, so there will be weekly rewards, leaderboards, and other things players miss if they don’t participate. So I’d rather not. It feels like implementation of live PvP in any form would create more chores, and it’s chores I can’t always do in the circumstances where I play GoW.

2 Likes

yessss. everything you said is exactly why i dont want pvp. I play this game because it’s one that can be dropped at a moment’s notice and then picked up again minutes later with no negative repercussions.

Another thing to note is that draft- or random-team modes don’t leverage the game’s main gacha mechanics since they don’t use your collection. Therefore there’s no incentive to spend. See all the love that Arena and Treasure Hunt get these days for an idea of where that falls on the priority list.

1 Like

Everyone has covered this, so I’ll just do a drive by and add my two cents. We wont be bringing live PVP to Gems of War for many of the reasons listed above. It would require the game to be entirely re-worked, and at that point we may as well make a new title!

3 Likes

Thank you for the confirmation salty! that is really good news to my ears. eyes?