An alarming trend in this community

Back in the day when a new player asked for help in global chat or here, they were helped. Nowadays I have seen new players in global ask for help and most of the time they are ignored, bullied, or just trolled.

A new player makes a post here asking for team help and 16 people look at it in an hour and nobody helps. Dozens of posts are made in that time and in several different topics but the new player goes unhelped.

What happened to everyone? I am ashamed of this community more often than not. We all could use a good dose of humility and try to be nicer to each other. Be constructive. Dont just insult those tou disagree with.

Not saying I am perfect. Far from it in fact. So i will make a point to practice what i preach. I hope everyone will follow suit.

Gow reddit for new player help:

3 Likes

The game has long relied on other players to help newbies instead of providing clear information and direction.

There was a time when I agreed enough with the direction of the game to help out in this regard, and I saw that it had an indirect benefit for me (game prospers, I prosper; it’s also a good way to show potential recruits the kind of help they can expect).

Since I, in a strange, altruistic way, don’t want to infect newbies with negativity, I opt not to say anything and leave it to the Devs to provide clearer tutorials and encourage new player retention.

Just my $0.02 (since you asked, “What happened?”, and I’m assuming that’s in good faith).

12 Likes

It has been so long since I was a new player, and the early game has changed so much, I can’t be very helpful. I can recommend teams they can’t use or aren’t viable due to lack of traits. If I had to start over, I would probably be lost too.

4 Likes

The subreddit seems to attract more new players than I see on the official forums. Additionally, the upvote/downvote system seems to favor pushing better advice to the top and less helpful comments/off-topic screeching to the bottom. That seems to take care of the lack of moderation both forums suffer from as well. Here, threads get locked from flag wars and there the best advice is put directly in front of the person who asked the question.

6 Likes

I am unfortunately very reddit uneducated. Could you please post a link here for new players to find help and info that I will add to the OP? Thank you

1 Like

I’m not entirely sure if posting 3rd party links is allowed on these forums, but if you go to the main reddit page and search “gems of war” it will be the top (and I believe the only) result. There are a lot of people who help out over there though, some of which I recognize from posting here or having the same name as their in-game handles. There is still the occasional rant/angry thread and often it’s jammed with recruitment posts, but I still think it’s much easier to find new people to help out over there.

2 Likes

The GoW Reddit is linked in-game, and Salty’s a mod there, too, so I think it’s pretty safe.

5 Likes

That’s where you lost me.

Global chats will always be garbage, I don’t think I’ve spent more than a few minutes in GoW’s in the last five years.

4 Likes

A few years ago the forums were indeed friendly and very helpful. Now, not so much anymore…

The best advice I can give new players is this: Use the forum to try and find a decent guild with mandatory discord activity. And then use discord to ask the more experienced guild members for advice, tips and tricks. You’ll find that people tend to help those in their guild much more readily.

3 Likes

While Sassy has claimed multiple posts, I would dare to claim this as a counterexample.
Personally I have looked at the topic, but I’m at work and too distanced from the early game to give a good reply in short time.
I can’t comment on ye olden days, but most negativity I see on this forum is directed at the devs while I rarely if ever see a bad attitude towards new players.

3 Likes

I absolutely relate to this. I have consistently offered counter arguments to the end game whales that negatively impact the newer players. Like hammering weapons etc like dragon eye that would be of huge benefit for new game delvers. Sadly the company kowtow to the VIP whinge community and exacerbate the difficulty of the new player experience. As usual this is down to the company and the same old protagonists who are currently on the warpath for a life and death nerf. Get real.

1 Like

The game is split in two. There are the players from before mythic cards were added and then there are the players from after mythic cards were added. If a new player listens to whats said on global from the bulk of the people that do say stuff about the game. It wont help or work for new players. New players are being informed about aspects of the game, such as save your keys for a month, that way you’ll have a better odds at receiving a mythic from new release. That is so wrong. Now all new players are saving keys, guild seal’s , glory etc. And dont have any cards because of it .

2 Likes

So true, a newer player will ask for a good all purpose team, so I’ll recommend something like

They are all “/nod, okay… I have none of those troops”

4 Likes

Most are ignored because we all know 99.9% of “new players” is just a alt account from someone you dont like or have blocked or have been chat banned by the devs.

2 Likes

What?! No Dawnbringer?

Seriously, if you’re not running Dawnbringer, Xathenos, and 2x Zuul’Goth, you’re too new to even merit consideration. :wink:

5 Likes

This topic should have stayed dead.