AI defend win/lose reward discussion

I am of a torn mind on this issue. Especially right now, when there are so many fighting a steeper uphill battle against newly ascended troops with powerful traits, I think offering a higher incentive to front a strong defense team might really push some over the edge. Loss after loss is frustrating. I am a mid level player, and I’m already noticing a lower win rate, since I don’t have any traits yet and only a few ascended troops (and by that I mean ascended by one level). Making the game challenging is one thing, but to make it more off-putting to lower level players is another.

On the other hand, though, it would be nice to know there is a reason for defense battles at all.

Perhaps the defense battles should be done away with, and instead offer rewards based on how well the AI did on your behalf when others invade you. That way you aren’t spending resources on defends at all (thus removing the cheap defense battle) but still get something in return. However, this solution has its downsides too…

I am not sure what kind of middle ground there is, with the current system as it is.

2 Likes

I’m aware that 1.0.8 has removed the big incentive for some particular boring teams (and I am very happy about it per my original post), but my larger point is that there will always be a flavour-of-the-month defence team and introducing extra rewards for defence wins will encourage more players to use that team (whatever it is) if there’s a perception that it wins more often, rather than choosing a defence team that will be fun to fight against.

1 Like

But that’s exactly what you would call the Metagame.

If a certain team starts to prevail as “Better win rate”, players will be more likely to use a team that counters it until it’s not a good option anymore.
If there isn’t a team to counter it, then it’s an unbalanced team. The Devs have always been very good at balancing such unfair teams and combinations when they prove gamebreaking.

I can understand some people not being interested in this sort of thing, but ultimately that’s the very nature of PvP gaming in an environment that requires building a team/deck from an unlockable set of units.

1 Like

true and i think an incentive for strong defense is needed but not necessary per-se as making a defense team that works sounds awesome in its own right.

Ok so I just got a defense win and I got 3 glory points and a gold key, did the devs finally buff the rewards?. I play Gems of War since day one and I NEVER got anything other than the single glory point for a defense win

There’s some interesting debate on this topic also on this thread:

1 Like

I suffered a few defeats this morning and got 1 glory each, so it makes me wonder…

Defeats use to give 0 glory.

Ok, I am torn on this as well because I get very few defense wins, however, I’ve all but almost quit playing the game because I’m level 75 now and can’t win ANY games. I haven’t received a single legendary troop after opening a million chests and I just get annihilated by everyone–invade, defend, defense–doesn’t matter. I tried suggested common troop lineups with limited to zero success.

It’s absolutely astounding to me that the AI is too stupid to take a match 4 or skulls, but when they have their backs against the wall–well they take EVERY match 4 and they get the most ridiculous cascades I have ever seen AI get in a game of this genre.

I know people will disagree with me or say “ya but they were already nerfed, etc” or something…but I know what I have experienced and it makes that game very unplayable at this point. If it wasn’t for the story, I wouldn’t be able to play this game right now, that’s the bottom line.

So buff the defense wins? Idk, how would they do this without making the cascades even MORE ridiculous than they already are? I’ve taken down 3/4 troops leaving 1 guy with like half health and I’m at full with all my guys–then BAM BAM BAM, cascade after cascade, turn after turn–just whittles my team to nothing with 1 guy and I don’t even get a turn.

Seems pretty legit <3

1 Like

I’m sorry you’ve been having such a bad experience! Have you tried the Skelton teams? They are still very powerful and I use then often, I wish I could help you get some wins!

No, I haven’t. Which is that? After the sharp and steadily increasing loss percentage, I relegated myself back to arena battles, as to not be a burden on my guild with negative trophies.

I always feel I need to caveat those like my aforementioned post with “but I really enjoy the game” etc. hehe, but I sincerely do, and I’m not complaining so much as giving my honest review of my experience in the game. I still play, just way less frequent. Went from wanting to play 8 hours a day to meh, maybe I’ll play an arena or a match or two a day lol. :smile:

Hoping it gets better :sunny:

Do you have skeletons leveled up?
A great team is:
3x skeleton
Some kind of purple generator, orb, green slime, even Wight can work.

Skeletons are cheap to cast, get really buff when you do, and give extra turns.

The best way to play is to wait till they are all ready to cast, then cast them one after another.

Some of them, yes. If not, I can get the souls from some arena wins and such. What team is most effective? I tried making up a sk team but it wasn’t that great. So far the only team I have ever won with at this level is hero, alchemist, banshee, valkyrie. Probably like a 1:5 win to loss ratio on invades.

Don’t really think I have the purple generator though, no weapon for my hero if that’s what you’re implying.

skeleton
Skeleton
Skeleton
Wight
Could work, wight gives a very small amount of purple

If you have aziris sub him in for one of the skeletons.

Green slime is a great 4th unit also, better than wight actually.

An exploder would make a decent sub also, ragnagord would be best for targeting purple, or herdmaster if you don’t have rag.

I just got 3 glory on a defense victory.

1 Like

I updated the title and info in the main discussion to reflect the changes that have been made over the last few days.

This is my take on why defense wins don’t pay as much as losses: When you win a defense battle, the AI is playing on your behalf. When you win a revenge battle, you are the one actually controlling the action. I think the devs might have given the higher reward to the battle the player actually plays rather than the one that is played for them. At least that makes sense to me.

Regardless of who’s playing, a win is a win. It should be rewarded as one

I disagree. I think actually playing is what should be rewarded, not autopilot.

1 Like

So, putting together an AI-controlled team that can fend off attacks by real players has no merit? I, for one, would much rather face strong teams that require me to think strategically than facing off teams of a single card because the guy figured putting any effort into it wasn’t worth it