A New Mythic Approaches - Wulfgarok

Well, it’s not that easy to get 4 of them. Besides… 24 mana, even on 3 colours, and no generator means there’s pretty much no chance of them casting even once against a decent team, not to mention a good one. Put Gorgotha in 1st place and this Attack boost doesn’t look that dangerous any more.
I’d be probably more afraid of 3 of them plus Forest Guardian. That in fact can be bit dangerous, especially if AI actually kills your troop with the spell. But it’s still very slight chance considering AI’s targeting and timing - or rather lack of them :wink:

Plus Maw is targeted, so you can use it to take out the highest priority target (ie Bone Dragon). Wulf’s devour is random and only takes effect after you’ve already killed something, and unless you’re fighting summoners, it could at most happen twice- kill the first troop and devour a second, kill a third troop and devour the fourth.
I love his art, I like his lore and that Wargare fans can have a themed team, I’m just really skeptical of the value of his spell.

Every month that goes by without a mythic I grow more and more frustrated with this game.

I honestly hate this rarity and wish it had never been added. I look back to my play time right when PVP update rolled out (but before mythic) with incredible fondness. If I could go back I would.

Hope this mythic is good for those that got it! Congrats :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For my mental well being I don’t bother even considering mythics. I play as if they don’t exist.

Unless they add a mechanism to get targeted troops (like using souls), I just won’t care.

4 Likes

A new mythic approaches…

Nope.

3 Likes

You are not missing anything here

For the first time in like 1,500+ hours I get a Mythic when its on topic … and it’s bugged :anguished:

(- YouTube)

4 Likes

At least it isn’t Abnysia.

1 Like

I know we’re straying off topic but it bears repeating that there either needs to be:

1. Some sort of Pity Timer for acquiring Mythics with keys.

2. Or be able to do a one-time purchase of a Mythic with either gems (1,000?) or Glory (5,000?) after it’s been in the troop pool for a certain time period (3 months perhaps?).

I guess the response also bears repeating: it would fundamentally break the gacha system (and thus deal a serious blow to their revenue) if they incorporated pity timers for the rarest troops and/or if they offered them for direct purchase. The main way this game makes money is people chasing those super rare cards. Take that away and the game goes away.

2 Likes

Yes Abby could really use a rework or buff of some kind! I would have something like:
Explode all chosen gems and deal X split damage. Third trait have Fast on Daemons (or Fast on Blighted Land troops, that’d be unique).

That’s the first one I got, followed almost immediately by WAR. :pensive:

Don’t exaggerate.

The game hasn’t gone away and mythics are something just released this year… so it was doing perfectly fine before. And legendaries can be found in bundles for real money. And they are significantly fairer to get.

1 Like

Hearthstone seems to get along just fine with both a pity timer AND direct card crafting.

Something will have to change eventually… it’s more and more frustrating to collect troops from a new kingdom every time one is introduced. Something like event keys targeting a kingdom of your choice would work, maybe.

1 Like

This is true, i was thinking of a new “trolling” defence. Knowing the enemy ai would go after skulls instead of charging its mana, the boosts it gets would matter a bit more. I figure that its spell only needs to work once.

This was the first mythic that I obtained on release week since War. I’ve always dumped my entire key/gem stash chasing them when they drop. And it’s bugged.

F/S/T 1xWulfgarok for 1xFamine/Plague/Draakulis/Abynissia/Gard.

Honestly, for pretty much any role you use Wulfgarok to fill except buffing other Wargare (namely the Wolf Knight/Amira combo, which can be really really slow), you are better served by using Kerberos, Kraken, or even Carnex or Manticore instead. I did have to dig deep to find some teams for Abynissia, but when I did, they worked because they had Abynissia - in other words, because something would die or get sacrificed and I could use the summoned Infernal King to finish up the battle faster than I would have otherwise (her trait is still pretty terrible to build around). I’m not getting that vibe with Wulfgarok at all. It takes a lot of doing to feather something down to kill range for Wulfgarok’s spell to the point where, most of the time, I could easily have killed at least half the team (or all of them) and still have it be my turn if I wasn’t holding back. Most teams I’ve found with him that work consistently do so in spite of having him there, rather than because. This is made all the more frustrating by the fact that the devour targets randomly and can target the manticore on their team or occasionally just target an empty slot and fail.

The biggest thing going for Wulfgarok right now is his Impervious, but his “high base attack”, even traited, is less that first cast Manticore while having worse defensive stats. The worst thing about him are his colors - he partially blocks almost everything that can feed him mana (or skulls) if you put him in the first slot. He suffers from many of the same problems War does while, in my opinion, being even less threatening.

Despite all that, though, I don’t think most of this can be addressed with a direct buff. Instead of buffing him, what I’d really like to see is several more Wargare that have board mod spells in the future so he can have an actual synergy team. This would make him both viable and unique. I’m more than happy shelving him until then.

I’d love to see someone try 4x Wulfgarok. At the level it can be fielded, even 56 spell damage for 24 mana would not be any kind of threat to kill with. Gorgotha/Mercy/anything/anything would easily roll the team, since random skulls would be the only threat of bringing you down into kill range of the spell, and he’d need 2-3 skull hits on Gorgotha without heals to bring him into kill range of the spell even with his boosted 65 attack, not to mention getting the 24 mana required to cast in the first place.

2 Likes

Sorry about that - we had the bug actually fixed here, and thought the released version had the fix already rolled in.
I’m just doing a couple of tests, and then deploying the fix.

EDIT: Looks like the fix was made on 24 Nov but the current build was deployed on 22 Nov.

4 Likes

…and deployed.

Wulfgarok now prefers to devour his prey while it’s still alive!

16 Likes

It was still broken after I read your reply, but after quitting and allowing the update to happen in Steam, it’s working :slight_smile:

2 Likes