A New Mythic Approaches – The Void Dragon

Originally published at: A New Mythic Approaches – The Void Dragon – Gems of War

New Mythic Troop: The Void Dragon The Void Dragon will be the only Mythic Troop available in Glory, Gem, Guild & VIP Chests for the next 7 days.

6 Likes

Never seen so little interest in a new monthly mythic. Not good enough to be used regularly, not bad enough to be the subject of mockery. Basically Elemau-gimp.

1 Like

Actually I really like the Void Dragon. Even though I was sceptical, because of all the cosmic/boss dragons around, VD really surprised me during faction assault.

4 Likes

The Void Dragon is the best troop in Mydnight, and is probably worth having 2 just to run Underspire.

That 3rd trait works really nice with what The VD is trying to do.

I drop the turn more than I like to with this troop, but part of me wonders if this is what the Journey troop nerf should have been…

3 Likes

What’s its Boost Ratio on the blue and purple Gems?

(Also, hey, another Troop that can sometimes loop itself via Gem Creation, but it also maxes out at +13 Gems)

Yeah… it’s 1:1

I thought it was garbage at first sight, but this is one of the better troops released in months. Worth to get 2

I think it’s fairly terrible and typical playing it too safe fodder with the random gem spew. Nobody is going to be using this in anything worth anything because it’s all risk for pitiful return. It’s got the crutch of being Mydnight while that’s new, and it might be worth throwing on defence because RNG screws players more than it screws AI, that’s it.

As usual, if you need 2 of it to be any good, it’s likely just not that good and there’s probably better things you could have done.

Ironhawk would beg to differ.

You also don’t need two void dragons. It pairs nicely with the purple gem dragon.

It’s not a bad troop. Not top 10of course but also not garbage.

4 Likes

No, it would be the prime example of a meh mythic that sees little use on its own and has value when used with 2nd or 3rd copies of itself.

It wasn’t me that said you need two. 1, 2, 3… it’s still meh. The post before mine said “worth it to get 2”, which is what I was responding to.

I like it.
Iv had a loop 5 times in a row, using sorcerer
Doesn’t hit hard, but does win in any mode.
Pretty fun and usable.
Others just need a new meta every month.

Ps. This kicks arse, with Mandragora as a 2 team.

Nice. Reminds me of how much I hate going up against Leio (because of how it gets like +20 boost even when Webbed)…

There’s quite a few mythics that are useful when you have more than 1. That’s the fun of the game, having many options to do whatever is desired.

Depending on what game mode/restriction, there isn’t anything better to run sometimes. That restriction thing is pretty often in this game nowadays.

It’s basically like using the old King Gobtruffle during an Amanithrax pure faction. One old King Gobtruffle is good in every sense of the word and you could fill out the rest of the team doing anything else, but it worked even better just having more than 1 to extend the chain even more consistently. Everyone basically used 3 or 4 to clear pure faction.

1 Like

I love arges :skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

1 Like

I like it. Ramps up super quickly, starts at a respectable amount of damage right out of the box (like 70 or 80 if you fill it with board clear + storm), can be set up to chain fairly reliably (at least long enough where it kills everything in a “PvP” or explore battle in 3-4 casts frequently without dropping the turn while sustainably refilling). Multiple ways to set it up, multiple things that have synergy with it that you can make it viable and fast in mono color teams with any of its colors. Beats out a lot of my single color gem dragon setups in speed in stability.

Qualifies as “generally usable” for me. Sort of makes me glad for the gem dragons and cosmic dragons that I don’t have, I guess, that I can still appreciate what is one of the best key-dropped mythics in years, with a cohesive design and synergy potential (honorable mention to salamandria, if only the “fix” for heroic gem statuses hitting the wrong team wasn’t to just make the UI unresponsive while they are processing and burning gems were a bit easier to set up I’d probably still use her more than the silly fun I had initially). I’ll happily take a break from running other teams that might be 10% faster for the novelty. Not sure that I would use it regularly if my other teams were 50% faster, but speaking for myself personally, if I can’t at least find fun in exploring synergy potential of a troop with tons of it that actually works, then whats the point of any of this?

So I’ve ran dozens of different teams for this and I don’t see too much of a use case for two of them over adding something else to either getting it started faster, keeping the team safe, or anti-stall. Mydnight (at present) has horrible tools to set them up to both be filled before casting, which, without some externality like enchant potions to fill the second one will make its presence mostly moot, because you’ll have a mostly neutral board by the time you fill it to cast again. They have color locked terror gem convert with no overlapping colors and locked dual convert to purple/doomskulls, no board clear except said doomskulls, and we are probably still two events off even getting the exploder hero weapon, and no storm fixing aside from the basic start with a storm (which is very hard to action in time without aforementioned board clear), although that could change during future Mydnight events the mythic will also be available with event keys during that time. The Daemon plus color restriction might appreciate having two of them a bit more, like a hypothetical purple daemon journey. Mage role and dragons all have gem dragons, which you might get more use out of add one of them to clean up than stacking another void dragon.

3 Likes

My biggest concern is that we’ll see 5 more identical to it, with just a different gem colour……making it more like the gem and cosmic dragons than mythic troops.

1 Like

Actually I could live with that. Until they get nerfed for fun like pathfinders before. :thinking:

1 Like