A Different Perspective

Though… It’s hard to say if ignoring a part of the game-front is to be taken so lightly.

Sometimes players have to do something they do not like (grind, or compete) in order to get better rewards. If casual players want some of them - I believe Treasure Hunting is the best place to address it.

It’s a different part of the game that has potential to bring “hunting” to the casuals. It somehow does this at the moment, but with an extremely scarce amount.

I think the game would benefit from adding options so players can customize their playing experience.

Also, some esthetic goals for collectors. Here are exemple:

1- an option (a check box) to play Restricted mode. In this mode, troops are limited to 1 per team (no multiple copies).
This would not apply to guild wars.

2- the ability to « ban » up to 5 troops from your game. A type of list with 5 slots. Putting a troop on the list, or changing a troop, cost 2 diamonds.
As a player, you cannot put these troops on your teams, BUT, you will only face selected teams without these troops.
This would not apply to GW.

Explanation: in the long run, I feel this is better than nerfs. Nerfs always frustrates some players. This way, player can just make « their own nerfs » and enjoy it. And who knows, if a troop is on 98% of player list, then it’s a good indication that the troop is not fun.
As for opponent choices, I feel like the current 3 team choice is not enough, I don’t like spending Gems to switch, and I know there is already many player that just start games and retreat just to change choices.

3 Likes

For esthetics, set silly goal, that unlock some graphic change.
Exemples:

Wins 1000 games with a troop: unlock Gold rim for that card.
Use a troop spell 5000 times: unlock Teal rim for that card.
Have a troop die 500 times: unlock skull corner icon for that card.
Successful defense 250 with a troop: Golden shield corner icon for that cards.

I tell you, I would try to get all of those for all my cards, and go crazy trying to get the Golden Shield on my Peasant card!

3 Likes

THANK YOU for putting so eloquently. And it’s not just a casual player. It’s the player that is the collector. The organizer, the one that spends a lot of time planning out the ascension and traiting paths of every card.

I have @Lyya’s website, my own complex spreadsheet and two other tools (including the upcoming calendar for traitstones) just so I can make the most of my resources.

One of the things I would love to see for the collector group that you touched on, is trading. That’s always been a vital aspect of card collecting games.

Thank you again…this is an awesome post.

3 Likes

Broadly agree with the ideas of the OP… and I’d been questionning how the game was serving what many of us always played it for, for a while now…

I disagree that the problem is the content outpacing the resources. That’s probably necessary as a business proposition and I’d feel it gives all something to aim for. At some point the goal will stop moving or at least slow, and diligent players will catch up. Just play more…

…and herein lies the main problem I see: play more when the core gameplay is getting less fun.

3 Likes

Great post, and I totally agree with most of it, especially when you say later about the devaluation of vip players.
Please take a look at the poll I started if you haven’t already.
Regards
Daniel #vipvictim (poll?) - #29 by Emos

1 Like

i dont disagree about the grind.
but i would prefer it was put in the “normal” gow combat style, 4 units vs 4 units, not into coin matching (treasure hunt)

and yes id like a single player casual “grind” alternative for ppl who arent interested in “high risk - quick reward” competition pvp clashes in gw

1 Like

To me, it looks this way.

PvP - an environment for casual grinding (get to Tier 1; then feel free to do casuals), as well as dedicated time grinding (Glory per battle in Rankeds).
GW - a place where players who hate grinding but are good in the mechanics can get a lot of resources.
Treasure Hunt - the only place where casual players can get gems. And is stands great with Treasure and Hunting aspects.
And then, for all of those who do not like any of those - there is the Dungeon - that allows players who are not even good, nor spend much time in GoW to get the troops they want, for as few as 3 battles daily.

I do not think any other game modes are required. If anything, people are complaining about the lack of variety. If they get fed up with PvP meta and want a change of pace - there’s the treasure hunt. No frustration involved. It’s PERFECT.
And I don’t think a mode made for people who do not feel like spending time, nor their brains to win at any cost in GW - is what developers want to address. Especially when everything is already there. The only problem is that people do not feel like doing it.

If PvP is to be addressed specifically - it’s much better, more user-friendly and efficient to balance the game, than to create an absolutely new game mode that would just ignore the biggest problem in the game.

generally those game modes are fine, but i disagree with the reward distribution restriction

restricting gems to just gw and treasure hunt, is what im having problem with
or, less directly, restricting gw troops and keys in there

pvp is great as the casual grind, it just lacks what seems to be the new “most valuable” resource in it
pvp has been “nerfed” in that “most valuable” resource-grind area since legendary tasks has been nerfed

1 Like

As I see no problem having gems / jewels restricted to Dungeons only, I wouldn’t see the problem having gems restricted to TH only (for grinding).

Though, I see much worse problems with the ranking distribution in both PvP and GW.
I believe that there should be a set threshold on on PvP and GW - such as :

• Upon reaching Tier 1 in PvP - you are guaranteed 100 gems at the end of the week.
  • If the final GW score of your whole guild is over (not sure about the value), you get 200 gems at the end of the week.

I find it very discouraging to give rewards only to the top 3 or none. The resources should not be “everywhere”, but they rather should be given to places where they already are, but even to semi-casual players.
After all - if they are encouraged to play - they might incline to spend money on it - which should be the goal. If they are discouraged by no rewards even though they are playing - they might quit the game altogether if it doesn’t feel rewarding.

1 Like

This is EXACTLY the point. People that ARE playing are not earning anything because their guild is not in the top bracket… well only 300 players can be in the top bracket with a playerbase well over 50k that’s a VAST majority left without a similar source of income.

There are more and more guilds playing regularly but there will only ever be 10 spots in the top bracket.

And I’m not suggesting a “mindless” mode, I would actually love to see a strategy mode, something along the lines of a predetermined board and team situation with a win this turn type objective which requires knowledge of game mechanics and the ability to predict board cascades, etc.

4 Likes

I might be repeating this …
… but I do believe guild wars really fulfill the strategy parameter of the suggestion.

I, however, believe that rewards should be distributed to promote playing - not winning only.

1 Like

They already are… Unless you mean like participation trophies or something

You mean the 2000 gold and 10 gems?
Or probably 500 gold and 50 souls for PvP - is what you had in mind?

Im talking about GW. Weren’t you?

/10 characters

1 Like

Who gets 2000 gold and 10 gems from GW? Still, add in the one or more copies of the GW troop and i dont understand what you mean by

If I may be so bold as to interpret @Trajic’s comment.

I took it as supporting my comment that there are guilds below bracket 2 that are playing just as hard, working their butts off and “winning” and yet “losing” when it comes to the QUANTITY of rewards being offered outside of Brackets 1 and 2.

Now, my “NEW” perspective is willing to concede that apparently GW in its current state works for the hard core, super competitive players. But if it is functioning as intended then perhaps the devs need to consider supplementing resource gain for those players outside of Brackets 1 and 2 with another mode of resource acquisition.

My best suggestion was some form of a solo mode.

5 Likes

Just as @efh313 said. Precisely.

2 Likes

This i agree with 100%

And if thats what @Trajic meant than ok but it isnt what it sounded like.

2 Likes