4.8 Update (Patch Notes)

I’ll second your wild guess, as that’s my line of thinking on medals as well.

That is a possibility. That’s why I medalled 3 troops from each kingdom when working on the Geoff achievement.

There’s no need to guess on it…

The game just hasn’t released enough troops where it becomes relevant any time soon and most kingdoms won’t see it for multiple years.

6 Likes

Thanks - I thought the devs had already confirmed that a while ago but couldn’t remember where and didn’t want to search for it.

1 Like

Why only 5% of players? Everyone benefits from more troops. Everyone benefits from more kingdom stars. And I’m assuming the 5% are all endgamers who ironically are the only ones who could afford to get any significant amount of medals out of these events. The “large portion of the playerbase” who don’t complete all stages or buy many tiers will be lucky to get a few tokens. It will probably take 3 of these events for them to get just 1 medal. 18 events to gold medal a single epic troop. So for them it’s 18 new troops vs 1 epic troop medalled. No comparison imo. Also new players don’t usually have 60,000 souls just laying around.

More gems > A few stat points on a few troops.

I know no amount of discussion here will change anything, I’m just trying to point out that these new events have their downside too. Getting more medals I suppose is nice but at the cost of 24 kingdom stars per year?

Now if seasons medals were mythic or even legendary rarity I would quickly change my mind. :grin:

I thought I had remembered hearing that somewhere, but couldn’t remember where. Great find!

That said, I’m dubious about stating that kingdoms won’t see level 20+ for years to come. We don’t know if there will be another “series” (like Godslayers or Siegebreakers) of troop(s) for each kingdom that will be introduced with 5.0 or some later new game mode that doesn’t rely on the plug-and-play World Event System (ex: Delves). Also, I think that it’s fairly safe to assert that if medals as replacements for weekly event troops/weapons fails to generate as much weekly revenue, expect to see the return of these in the weekly events.

Plus, at some point, the game will have to start roadblocking players on medaled troops to compel them to start doing that as a normal behavior. That said, the number of players that will ever clear Power 20 on any kingdom are going to be extremely small, as a miniscule number of players will ever reach level 100 on Hero(ine) class for kingdoms that don’t host meta classes (unless some kind of cXP acceleration method that is significantly better than the current Thursday events is introduced). Especially so, if new classes keep rolling out after next month.

As someone mentioned, the new art for the medals is surprisingly poor.

They are certainly easier to distinguish from one another, but they just look bad.

I think – apart from a handful of older troops – this is the first time the art in this game hasn’t been exemplary. I wonder what happened.

5 Likes

They are so ugly, don’t want to look them at all.

3 Likes

I agree that the medals are not very pleasant to look at. There are a few things I don’t care for about them.

1. At the size you see them in the World Map, the primary distinguishing factor is the color of the ribbons. The badges parts of the medals are so small that they can barely be made out. So the designs of the badges do not aid in recognizing the different rarities.

2. The Badge of Nysha’s primary color is…orange? Why is the mythic badge orange-colored just like the legendary one?

3. There is apparently a spider in the Badge of Aranaea. I can’t tell because my iPhone screen doesn’t get bright enough to separate the black of the spider from the dark purple of the background.

Suggested fixes, assuming that these basic designs are here to stay:

1. Eliminate the bottom ribbons from the medals. The top ribbon still carries the desired color information about rarity, and the smaller vertical size will let the medals be enlarged slightly so that the badges are more visible.

2. Change the color of the laurels on the Badge/Medal of Nysha to something less gold. I recommend platinum.

3. Lighten the background on the Badge/Medal of Aranaea.

2 Likes

I just hope that the new events doesn’t require more time investement than the ones they are replacing. Heck i would root for even less. Time is the commodity here i cannot seem to afford and i appreciate being able to participate (guild or solo) and finish them without worrying i’ll be missing out if not for 4+ hours daily play.

Also thank you for the fastest u-turn in history of game development! I appreciate the revert to original design but have to question the initial reasoning and hope it won’t be repeated in the future without a more holsitic consideration

1 Like

The game has been steadily increasing the “required” time investment for a while now. If they include such ludicrous scoring mechanics in the new events as “number of 4- or 5-matches” that could essentially force players to play absurdly long matches with generator teams in order to not have to buy a stupid amount of event tiers in the gem shop…the “required” time to finish things is going to suffer some massive bloat.

Bloat that you can, of course, spend gems to bypass.

Be very wary of spending money in a game that creates a problem for the express purpose of selling you a solution. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got the 505 achievement during one of the 5 battles on brown day. Not sure which battle it was, but they didn’t last too long. Of course, I lost the fifth one…probably should have spent more time on that one planning my team. One of these days I’ll spend the 50g to scout ahead.

Fortunately the publisher is 505 Games and not 5005 Games.

2 Likes

505 gems destroyed of one color with only 64 gems on the board at one time didn’t take long?
I’m not saying you’re lying. But if the match was under a minute then the achievement is probably bugged.

Easy to do with Shahbanu and in ranked PVP, didn’t know what it was til it popped up! Now I do, not something I’m worried about tbh. image

1 Like

I guess it’s just more confusing lingo. Although the doomskull explosions destroy gems. Idk. I blame the Equator/International Dateline.

3 Likes

Ahhh nevermind.
Screenshot_20200313-132633
I forgot that the gems are considered destroyed (even with explosions) but we just get 40% Mana from.
Not as difficult to achieve as I first thought.
(Only could use gem destroyers)
So disregard earlier thoughts. :grinning:

3 Likes

Truffle shuffle got me the achievement today.

2 Likes

I was saying “immediately affects” because the majority of the player base is not on the cutting edge of kingdom star levels. They are stuck either due to level 9 requiring a mythic from a kingdom, or level 12 requiring a mythic pet. At this point, these players are getting pretty much nothing from an event-only epic troop.

1 Like

I actually find the things harder to distinguish now.

At a glance, I no longer know if I’m looking at a token, badge, or medal, because the styles aren’t uniform anymore. The only distinguishing pattern (I guess?) is that Medals (sort of?) all incorporate ribbons.

+1 to the comments talking about how they’re now shrunken, too—I liked how the old medals were big enough to overlap the slots a bit. Made them more visible—and it wasn’t a problem because they didn’t overlap one another.

The color schemes also seem pretty non-distinct, as others have mentioned. I can tell when I get a Yasmine-something or an Aranaea-something because they’ve maintained a somewhat-unique green or purple, respectively, but beyond that I’m finding it pretty hard to figure out what’s what :man_shrugging:

PS: I only just now found out that I can have the loadouts by pressung RT and LT on Xbox. I read the patch notes, but still had trouble figuring out the UI the first few times I looked. Luthor might have been helpful, or a picture in the Patch notes (apologies if there are already visual aides and I am just an idiot who failed to see them :rofl:)

6 Likes