4.7 Update (Patch Notes)

The Bard is in the background, playing tunes.
But I have a nice menu with an innkeeper as defence team.

3 Likes

And no more bonus seals for Arena :sob:

I apologise for the text regarding the Casual PVP gold not going out with the initial patch notes. This was in no way intentional, and we are looking at our processes to make sure things like this don’t happen in the future.

I want to clarify that the beta testers weren’t aware of this fix, as we only put it into the patch shortly before it released. As such, it wasn’t live for them when they were let onto one of the testing servers. (We have more than one.) The beta testers have in no way deceived you, and they are community volunteers who do their best to catch bugs and offer us feedback on our future updates.

When I have more to say regarding the changes I will let you know.

12 Likes

This isn’t the first resource exploit in Casual PvP. If I remember right, it wasn’t years of complaining that got 4x Fire Bomb teams downplayed in matchmaking. It was because people figured out 50-coin refreshing Casual PvP meant you made huge gold profits if you fought only Fire Bombs. I can’t remember the specifics but I swear there was one more exploit beyond that one.

Why exactly does Casual PvP exist? It has the same matchmaking as ranked PvP, so it’s not easier. The trophy rewards are lower, but obviously the gold payout’s similar. If it’s constantly being abused and creating problems with told payouts, wouldn’t it be easier to take it away?

It sure seems like that would’ve been better received than:

• HAY GUYS we’re going to add ~30m gold in requirements to your weekly burden!
  • But don’t worry, you’ll get stuff back in return!
  • Oh also wow we forgot to mention we messed with gold rewards in the most profitable gold mode without testing them, and we didn’t think we should bother beta testers with such a little old thing, and even though this is like the sixth release we forgot to put things in the patch notes, we’re still looking into how this is happening bye NO QUESTIONS
  • please clap
16 Likes

It’s one of the few relics of the original game that are still there.

From the patch notes in the OP, emphasis added,

cPvP is not much longer for this virtual world. To me, it looks like the extremely long-awaited PvP revamp is finally getting ready to come over the horizon to be seen.

I am trying to understand the root cause of the lack of communication of the information during the update stream

Did you think about it, decide it was worth mentioning but missed it during the stream; Or
Did you think about it, but decide it was not a change worth discussing; Or
Did you just not think about communicating it; Or
some else?

Please help me understand

There was a lot to cover on stream, so we went over the major features and didn’t really touch on the general changes and bug fixes. This is pretty common for streams.

1 Like

Next patch a new and improved version of Arena. The good news 500 Trophy’s. The bad news is you will get a ban because the 500 was not intended. Stay out of there. You been warned. :joy::joy::joy:. Just kidding of course I think.

2 Likes

I agree there is a lot of information to convey during the update streams

If I understand your response correctly it sounds like you did think about it but decided it was not a change worth discussing (because it was a general change rather than an update related change)

In which case can I please flag that as a player I would certainly like to hear about changes (general or otherwise) which have this level of game wide impact as soon as possible. If there is not time at the beginning or end of a stream to do so, perhaps a forum post or social media update could be utilized to communicate the information.

2 Likes

What she means is it’s her job to tell you what you want to hear and blame things you don’t want to hear on bogeymen like the publisher.

11 Likes

@Slypenslyde that is both wrong and unkind.

The patch notes were very long, and we highlighted the biggest changes and features.

Now, I spoke about this on stream, but I do have an update for you all.

We fixed the exploit. The exploit was not only affecting us, but was also grossly unfair to the players not aware of it, as it gave the few that did an advantage. We thought it was important to fix it for our own sake, as well as the sake of others not in the know. It took us quite some time to be aware of the exploit and howb it worked, and it has been fixed.

However, this unintentionally did alter the gold scores of PVP (ranked and casual) that have significantly lower team scores.

As such, we are investigating this further. We had always intended to slightly reduce the gold in the 3rd (easy) battle, as it had jumped up a few months ago, but not by this much. (It jumped up when we changed the way team scores are calculated, and team scores were able to go higher than before.) However, the amount it has been reduced is an unintended consequence of fixing the Casual PVP exploit.

We intend to address this, and make a change to gold that is currently being offered by the 3rd (easy) battle in PVP. I can’t say anything further at this time, but we are looking into things and deciding on the best way forward.

5 Likes

This opens up a can of worms between those who know how to play and those who do not.
Are you aware that Delves exploit players on a daily basis that do not know any better than to use junk treasure to try and upgrade their hoard and thus waste gold overall?
I 100% agree that those who know how to play GoW are at an advantage over those who do not. But to give that as justification for a nerf is profound :ox::poop:.
EVERY single player can do PvP.
EVERY single player can hit the refresh button.
I know it took y’all 5 years to figure it out, but most players who spend some time in cPvP only need 5 minutes.

How is this “fair” to the players who only enjoy GoW because of cPvP and the easy gold?
In 30 seconds the players could make 2500 gold doing casual PvP.
In 60 seconds the players can make 5000 gold doing ranked PvP currently

Where the hell is the Exploit?

It’s your broken match making that was an issue. Quit accusing players of using an “Exploit” when they literally thought they were just playing the game the way you intended to them to play it.

Please tell us how we are supposed to play casual PvP.

9 Likes

Careful, this might result in the “Refresh” button in cPVP being changed from 50 Gold to 1 Gem to match rPVP, or the button being removed entirely from cPVP so you’re stuck with the opponents you’ve got in front of you.

One is another Gem sink, the other is simply reinforcing one single PVP playstyle: pick a battle and fight it, and then pick another, period.

Any votes on which one is chosen?

1 Like

Am I the only one who seems to think that every troop I own has higher base stats than before the 4.7 patch, and that the same is true for every enemy troop I face? My standard PvP and explore teams are all rated approx. 1000 points higher than they were a couple of days ago.

Did your guild already finish base tasks this week? If so, you were also awarded credit (and stats) for having finished the epic tasks. These stat boosts are worth just shy of 1000 points.

2 Likes

My guild is relatively inactive, and hasn’t finished any base tasks in months. In looking closer, I can see that it has, in fact, flagged all of our epic tasks as complete, for no obvious reason. I guess that means next week we are back to normal. Still looks like a glaring bug.

We set the Epic Task statues as completed on purpose for the first week of release, so everyone has the same bonuses from them. When next week rolls over they will be able to be completed like normal.

2 Likes

Please refer to Keylime’s post above, where multiple “middle slot” offerings are also far below the prepatch minimum.

Also note that the problem is twofold.

• The changes that were made made to the way payouts work when an opponent is much lower score is unfairly puntitive to people that have primarily lower score opponents to fight. Thats part of what is affecting one trophy battles across the board.
  • The gold formula is unfairly punitive toward people at the top end anyways, and there is a new level of scarcity added every time a score inflation takes place. This is a persistent problem every time a new gap like this is created. There are too few people at the top for matchmaking to consistently serve high score matches to the people so they can always have one high payout match to select from and the matchmaking critera still uses silly stuff to serve them matches in the first place. I’ve played this game at all levels of progress and I can say definitively that, beyond the point where things are being one shot and up until the point where you can’t kill it in whatever lethal spell cycle you are running (so between like 50ish total troop health each and 200), the composition of the team you face has everything to do with how difficult it is to beat and how long it will take to beat and stats have very little to do with it.

Basically, gold payout calcs have always been broken near the top, especially after a new source of team score is added that only very few of the players have (as will happen with Epic tasks, both now putting people that patched 1k score higher than people that didn’t, and probably worse next week after the “free tasks” wear off but only select few endgamers keep them). The “exploit fix” made the lowest payouts even more egregious, but the strongest battle offered is occasionally really low because matchmaking doesn’t serve by criteria that make score bonuses and there aren’t enough people “above” them to have good payouts.

I would hope the larger issue is intended to be fixed by the time we hit 5.0, but in light of time being taken already to adjust rewards for the “exploit fix”, now is a good time to put in a stopgap measure so that you won’t see full screens of crappy payout opponents at endgame. This was what was done with PvP points, it needs to be extended to gold as well. And then hopefully theres no way for this to be an issue again by the time the next PvP revamp happens (and hopefully that isn’t a direct nerf).

Ranty, but I'm posting it anyways

Seriously? You are going to go with the exploit was “unfair to the players not aware of it” so it was done “for the sake of others not in the know”? How so, unless you balanced this last economy change around those gains? Which then wouldn’t make sense because those gains are now off the table. This is the kind of thing that I read and makes me so frustrated I have to get up and leave my computer for a few minutes.

Look, I’m glad you fixed an exploit, but please stop trying to peddle this “spin” to us. What happened was the fix was shortcutted and then the larger impact of the fix was not properly thought through or tested. Just own it. Stop trying to say “everyone is better off because we did this fix”. The fix broke stuff. There was always a not-zero possibility that it would break stuff, the decision was made to scoot it in as is and hope for the best knowing the risks of having it hit a large population without having been put through the paces. Forgetting to tell us about it makes it all the worse because that is like one of the most important things you can do when a “fix” like this has far reaching consequences and hasn’t been tested. Finding out it was kinda an intended nerf but not by this much on the heels of a huge discussion about rewards structure that costs this very resource to interact with… well, that didn’t do you any favors either. Worst of all, it isn’t the first time a “fix” has broken other interactions. It isn’t even the first time for PvP. Or this year. Or that we weren’t told about the “fix” happening before we noticed it broke stuff. These are all lessons that should have been learned already, and here we are again.

If the exploit truly is “fixed”, why reduce gold at all? The circumstances leading to it being exploited are gone, so there is no reason to do this, right? Or do you still mean we “fixed” the exploit by making it not worth doing by way of reducing gold payouts in this situation and in many other situations as well? Because that isn’t fixing the exploit. That means the circumstances still exist to do the exploit, it just isn’t worth doing for gold gains anymore.

And now we get a bit more of the whole picture. Why the whole “we intended to reduce leftmost slot payouts slightly because they were recently increased slightly” wasn’t part of the original (several hour late) disclosure is beyond me. So we’ve gone from “it was only to fix an exploit” to “we also intended to nerf leftmost battle payouts across the board but not by this much and only because it went up when we changed team score calculations and made more score available”. Did you put that part in the patch notes yet?

By the way, my minimum payouts have been over 800 gold for years now and were already in the 900s before the change you specified (when formulas were changed to make magic and attack worth more and more sources of points were considered) and it has been a longstanding feature of the game that minimum gold payouts raise as you unlock personal score bonus (the very small upside to your highest possible payouts getting killed if you are “ahead of the pack”, the “silver lining” I’ve been pushing every time I jump in to discuss this). If your intent (beyond fixing the exploit) is only to offset this inflation caused by the change in score formula I’d expect the minimum payout (under non exploit circumstances) to still return to 900+ on my main account and be slightly higher as I continue to unlock most stuff that gives score bonus (since I’d be almost 2k behind the top at this point, or will be when free epic tasks expire). Anything else you’d like to let us know before we get blindsided again?

20 Likes

As said earlier, even though at some point we were planning on very slightly changing the gold payout for the easiest battle as it crept up slightly, the amount that it has been reduced in conjunction with our fixing the exploit is unintentional.

We are reviewing it, and when we make any further changes I will let you know.

6 Likes

Thanks for a belly laugh.

4 Likes