1.0.9 Sneak Peek- Frozen

That only means you came too late to the party. Apparently before his nerf TSO was indeed a game breaker:

Since then there was another reason added why TSO is even less of a problem. With the boost to stats, skull damage is now much more important than spell damage, and silence can’t protect you from that. I have won multiple PVP matches without even firing a spell once.

For the exact same reason you would think entangle should be OP. The reason it isn’t is because it’s only effective on the first troop, which means it only works 25% of the time for both random entangle and AI targeted entangle. Now, if you could entangle any random enemy and still get the same effect, don’t you think there would be an outcry?

Well. Entangle SHOULD be way more powerful than it is. As far as I’m concerned it’s broken and needs to be fixed.

Entangle teams should be a very viable and powerful team for the meta, but they are pretty much worthless instead. If you couldn’t tell this annoys me to no end.

1 Like

So… we did a little work on Frozen.
Read about it here: 1.0.9 Sneak Peek – Frozen Revisited – Gems of War

3 Likes

4 Likes

Doh! Thanks for the info.

Sure, I’ll be honest. My “unwillingness” stems from the fact I don’t have all the time to try to test it. I also hold that you cannot “test” as accurately as the effect would be in the game if it were “live”; “close enough” doesn’t give me a warm and fuzzy to come to your conclusions. I’d rather see how it plays in action and adjust accordingly, such as scout and avoid and/or use a Cleanse troop. And I’ll also be honest in saying that before Sirrian’s update post, I don’t think it would have been a Big Deal, being on three troops total.

It’s too bad the dev team can’t show their test games since they didn’t see a problem with it. If you saw them too, you might agree.

That might all be, but it is beside the point, the point is that TSO now after the nerfs/adjustments still hinders an enemy team more than the original frozen effect would have, in many ways rendering the enemy much more helpless, and the meta isn’t flooded with him now so would’t it have with frozen units. Anyways the discussion is moot now, with frozen already changed(partly neutered).

Thanks.
I also like how frozen also affect 4-/5- skull matches only if the first unit is frozen.

Just a little clarification though :
Let’s say my Valkyrie is Frozen. If I use her spell and get a 5- blue gem match, do I get an extra turn or not?
I kinda think it should… But that’s my opinion and I guess everyone will think differently has we’ve already seen several times in this thread !

EDIT : apparently, it doesn’t, just read the other thread ^^’

Actually yes, you will get an extra turn that way, as the valkyrie herself doesn’t use blue mana.

Ups, yeah, didn’t re-read my post before editing ^^’
When I edited, I meant it (frozen) doesn’t counter that.
So, yeah, you get the extra turn, my bad ^^’

Also means Sheggra gets extra turns when frozen, so long as another unit (likely a Trueshot) is doing the damage from skulls. And Sheggra’s Heart gets extra turns if frozen, since it is blue/brown but creates reds.

But a frozen Sheggra would keep the Heart from giving turns (the red is blocked) and a frozen Heart would stop Valkyrie (the blue is blocked).

2 Likes

Yeah the uses of frozen are very limited now, most spawners and transformers can’ be affected directly, skullspawnrs can’t be affected at all, unless they are the first unit which they pretty much never are. And random target spells with the frozen effect are completely useless.

1 Like

Skull spawners are very often in first slot.

An act of true love will unfreeze a frozen heart.

3 Likes

Well, my whole session of getting back to rank1 this week and then some games had maybe one team with a skullspawner in first slot. The vast majority of teams with skullspawners is helmed by true shot troops with the occasional tanking legendary in first slot. This may not be a big enough samplesize to make a general statement, but it is all i can go by and i doubt that will change as i keep playing this week.

1 Like

Crossing my fingers for more troops with abilities that affect 2-3 troops. Like Skullblade or Order and Chaos, but with a frozen or burn attachment.

I personally like the change, I was more afraid of the possibility that it’d take too long to implement, therefore delaying the status’ release. Good to know the development team’s so on top of things. :slight_smile:

I have been here long enough, and I know about previous problems with TSO. But I ment it actually has more impact on your team then frozen, even now with all the nerfs.

You’re right, the spell effect is indeed still OP, and if anyone was still using it, it would still be game breaking of sort. Point is, since the devs did not want to get rid of TSO completely, and changing the spell to not freeze everyone would be against the very idea of this troop, instead they had to nerf him so hard that nobody wanted to use him anymore - problem ‘solved’.

I disagree. TSO’s spell feels pretty balanced nowadays. He rarely sees use because:

• his stats are very poor
  • he’s legendary and so hard to ascend / unlock traits
  • there are far too many OP commons that everyone uses anyway

And because Daemonic Pact is garbage. I would like to see TSO get a unique ‘double skull damage against silenced troops’ legendary trait. That’d be awesome.

BTW exactly how off topic is this?

2 Likes

You did not contradict anything I said.

The effect of silencing everyone is OP, that doesn’t make any troop doing it to be OP automatically. For example, you could make a troop that freezes, enatngles and silences everyone, and make him cost 200 mana - the spell is OP, the troop is not. The nerf to TSO spell has a similar effect to raising mana cost, so it became ‘balanced’, and then reduced it’s stats so nobody uses it, because some people may still dislike the effect (for being ‘game breaking’) even after the nerf.