Update 2.0.1 Preview

Is immunity to mana burn only affecting the mana burn, or does it include the ‘boosted by magic’ part of the damage?

The special wording ‘boosted by magic’ (rather than ‘deal [magic] damage and mana burn’) is most likely done on purpose to clarify that the whole amount of damage is considered mana burn and will treated as such for all intents and purposes.

3 Likes

Yeah good point.

Full impervious defense teams… GO! :wink:

My point was that the developers may consider them status effects, because they’re more familiar with the game from the inside perspective than the player’s perspective. I wasn’t necessarily attempting to justify, so much as explain. Ultimately, it’s the developer’s choice what they are, and the player can only state what they perceive, not absolute facts.

That’s one wild assumption, though. It’s much more likely those two were chosen simply because they’re considered OP by the community and needed a counter, not because of how they look like in the code.

1 Like

As long as true damage isn’t falling under immunity provided by the Impervious trait or a true damage immunity trait I’m good. That would be ridiculous if it would happen in the future. XD

1 Like

But this is when scouting makes it worth your while, at least when invading. See what you’re up against, and choose your team appropriately. As for defense, well, you can’t decide who gets to show up at your door with a battering ram, can you?

2 Likes

True Damage being blocked by Impervious is ridiculous, yes.

However, a Trait that specifically True Damage would be a good idea

I can’t imagine us ever doing that.
There was talk at one stage of having a trait that made true damage on a troop act like regular damage, but the idea never really took.

3 Likes

One vital question remains : will my Black Beast still be able to eat my impervious units ?
Golems have a nice crunchy texture it would miss if it couldn’t eat them anymore :frowning:

2 Likes

That has actually NOT been tested, but I imagine he will fail!

• Sirrian runs off to test Black Beast *
13 Likes

Whew… That was a close call :))

I agree with your sentiment. I don’t see instant effects as status effects, or else why wouldn’t this cover, say, Rakshanin or Shadow Hunter damage? You could arbitrarily call damage done that’s boosted by life, “Precision Strike Damage,” and now that it has a name, it’s covered by Impervious? Seems wrong to me.

Mana Burn and Devour are instant effects that are probably too strong for what they are. The new traits that specifically block them are goodness. I don’t think Impervious fits the bill.

Will the description now read: “Immune to all status effects, Mana Burn, and Devour?” What about the next new mechanic du jour?

1 Like

I’d imagine Devour and Mana Burn are now classified as status effects, therefore no new text needed

In that case I agree with @yonizaf that it runs counter to intuitive logic and would require a player to find a third party resource to understand what exactly constitutes a “status effect,” since in most games only persistent effects are labeled as such.

Nice changes and exciting news, but i’ve been wondering:

• Gnoll and Wildfang will have the race type Gnoll or Wargare? Since it wasn’t mentioned i’m assuming that Wargare will be the designation for all Canidae Humanoid Races of Krystara.
  • Will Wildfang deal extra damage to Centaurs only since his backstory mentions that one slayed his parents (Little Hunt on the Prairie – Gems of War) or will he still be “open-minded” about mauling, desmembering and killing any wildfolk? If left unchanged for now when the time to rework Wild Plains arrives i have an idea that would adress this.
  • Am i the only one with this kind of questions about the lore/story? :sweat_smile:
1 Like

Well there are patch notes for the uninformed

In my opinion, that’s not enough. The game should be able to explain its rules clearly to players who don’t inform themselves out-of-game. For the most part, the existing tips and text blurbs do a good job of this.

2 Likes

Gnoll and Wild Fang are counted as Wildfolk in 2.0.1.

Yes, we wanted to keep that part of his lore.

2 Likes

And it blocking Mana Burn is not? They both just deal damage, and nothing more. What would make one ridiculous and one not?

Are you absolutely sure? Even if, at some point in the future, it will turn out to be the most OP damage effect, and the whole community will cry for a counter? If so, why would Mana Burn be any different?

Most players don’t read the patch notes, and they shouldn’t have to. The game should be understandable without that.

Besides, what about people who join the game in the future? Are you going to send them all to read some past patch notes to understand how the game works?

3 Likes