This is why we need MODS in chat NSFW

Freedom of speech is there to protect public discourse and the conscientious objector. The definition of “conscientious” is literally “guided by conscience”. I’ll let you apply that to the ridiculous conversation in that screenshot on your own time.

3 Likes

some profane comments/lewd behavior in a chat on an internet game in your mind is uncivilized and leads to anarchy? seems like a snobbish high falutin attitude in my view.

1 Like

Coming from you sir, that is a compliment. Thank you.

4 Likes

How about we look at it from a utilitarian point of view. What possible purpose does it serve to talk about such things in that forum? I mean there’s a million other venues/outlets for that type of discussion, why bring it here?

3 Likes

I think i never saw a better use of this “smuguish DiCaprio gif” before. :+1:

3 Likes

Can we just have the option to turn OFF chat all together ? I am on PS4.

6 Likes

You mean juveniles acting juvenile.

This, just this. I don’t care for idiots, freedom of speech or amendments, I just want to be able to switch off this crap once and for all and never see it again popping up on my main screen.

Agreed.

Or even better, same as PC version, keep permanent login to Guild Chat and permanent no channel in Global playground junk chat.

3 Likes

By classifying such behavior as “natural juvenile behavior”, you legitimize it. You’re fundamentally arguing that humanity should just accept what it is, how it is, and not aspire to be anything better. Or you’re arguing that we should base our moral views on what people already do – that which is natural human behavior is by definition correct moral behavior.

Many people believe that it’s not inherent, natural behavior, but is instead learned and passed on from others, and thus that it can be mostly eliminated by encouraging other behavior. Or, people reject naturalism as a moral philosophy, and try to direct their community towards a higher, more enlightened state.

Fundamentally, all voluntary civilization requires cooperation, and agreement on a set of rules. Even when people agree to rules that protect disagreement, such as recognizing some right to free speech, there will always be conflicts in which one person or group wants something that others do not, and unless those groups can compromise, one will win and the other will lose.

The compromise with regards to free speech is that you should be able to say what you like without fear of being harmed for your words alone, but nobody else is obligated to listen to you or host your words on their platform. I think the more logical right is not a right to “free speech”, which focuses on the speaker, but on free communication between willing individuals, which considers the rights of everyone equally, both speaker and listener. If your speech disrupts the free communication between others, then it’s fair for others to attempt to discourage it.

7 Likes

Here’s an interesting viewpoint.
This behaviour is actually impairing the right to freedom of speech of multiple other persons as they are forced to quit chat altogether to protect their kids.

Other than that, this is an interesting discussion but the remark made by the console players that their chat settings are not being saved feels like the most important one and one that urgently needs dev attention.

4 Likes

At some point, there should be an expectation that juveniles know what is appropriate and what is not. That’s a signal that said juvenile can eventually be a productive ADULT.

1 Like

How is rowdy edgy jokes in chat a sign that somene isnt productive to begin with, ever heard of Mozart??

1 Like

i disagree.

with most of the games i would agree but not here, why?
coz developers here actually talk with people and we can use “words” to communicate our ideas and needs to them, its a higher advanced technology then “terminating purchase” and only happen with such awesome devs as we got here which is so rare :slight_smile:

1 Like

As soon as they understand that this behavior is not acceptable, by being moderated or punished when they do it, then they will finally start changing it. With support of people like you saying that they have “free speach rights” to do as they please, they won’t see reasons to change at all.

Changes hardly come without any sort of loss. More than often: You lost something and now you need to change your ways to prevent any further loss.

2 Likes

Seriously? Come on son…

1 Like

I agree COMPLETELY! As I said in my follow-up:[quote=“efh313, post:71, topic:18137”]
That was my point, if people are not making it known to the devs in some way it wont change.
[/quote]

And yes we are VERY lucky to have the devs we have for GoW, and I have stated many times that it’s because of this relationship that I continue to play and for an admittedly (initial) FREE player, have now invested the money to attain VIP 5.

BUT, to the point at hand, for every person saying we need to be more strict in chat, I have seen threads to the effect of “Hey chat filter is TOO Strict!” so right now I don’t see the pendulum swinging enough in either direction for the devs to warrant spending the time and resources to make a change.

My two cents, of course… :wink:

Mozart loved a good poop joke. :sweat_smile: He was actually pretty obsessed with the topic. (I imagine he was an incredibly annoying person to be around in a social situation.)

#pointless_trivia

6 Likes

Actually you have piqued my interest now. :laughing:

I need to go read up on Mr. Mozart.

It’s quite scary and fascinating. Don’t do it if you have a sensitive stomach though. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like