This is why we need MODS in chat NSFW

They’re not acting like a nanny, they’re protecting their brand. This isn’t Tinder or 4chan…

1 Like

We aren’t disagreeing that that kind of talk shouldn’t be in chat, but the need for moderators is pretty extreme. There are plenty of programs that censor chat out there.

Sigh. So not interested in listening to the … 10? Gonna go with 10% … who are defending this crappy behavior. Buh-bye thread.

2 Likes

I’m tired of the herd/hive minded mentality of this so called pc age,where sentences such as “oh noes someone has offended me with bad words this should be illegal” are entertained.

2 Likes

And I’m tired of idiots who defend bad behavior just because they think courtesy and self-control have gone out of style.

11 Likes

The reason for developing a game in the first place is so people will play it (and enjoy doing so), which is why part of developing and providing a game is to add things that make sure players don’t feel annoyed or frustrated when playing the game (AKA quality-of-life features). One of these things just happens to be a clean chat (assuming there is a chat), no matter what method they choose to make sure it is clean. It’s better not to have a public chat at all than having one that’s unpleasant to be in.

But it’s not like you can moderate the chat by yourself, so you’ll choose to just lock them out?

If you’re worried about traffic accidents, you can ask the relevant officials to install traffic lights in a dangerous intersection and report speeding drivers you see to the police, or you can choose to lock your kids at home and ignore whatever is going on outside because “my kid is my own responsibility, not the cops’ or the government’s”. Here you’re suggesting that everyone should do the latter.

2 Likes

This has been an interesting thread to read…
To offer a fresh, if not unique, perspective on the situation at hand I will say this:

1. The developers are tasked with providing a product that consumers find fun and worthy of spending money on which allows the devs to develop further product and, you know, EAT!

2. Consumers are tasked with enjoying said product until they no longer feel that it provides a return worth their investment, be it money or time.

3. If you as an end user find the chat so problematic and upsetting that it ruins the game experience and, therefore are dissatisfied with your ROI then by all means quit “buying” the product.

4. If enough players quit “buying” the product it may be motivation for the devs to divert resources to addressing this concern, however as it currently, stands the chat, which could benefit from some sort of moderation or censor, will most likely be left untouched.

1 Like

I can sometimes write some “adult humor” there, but I agree that the default channel should be with more family orientated rules. 002 could be the chat with adult context, however not allowing homophobia, racism and stuff like that.

Common sense everywhere, but different contexts depending which channel.

If people just leave without giving feedback, it will be hard for the devs to tell why they left and what needs changing. Also a leaving costumer is lost, there is little chance they’ll return tomorrow to check if their problem is fixed. It makes much more sense to voice your concern and give devs time to try and fix a problem instead of just leaving, which is a lose-lose situation for both dev and player.

7 Likes

@yonizaf I apologize for my lack of clarity. That was my point, if people are not making it known to the devs in some way it wont change. But just as there is this thread now, I seem to remember a thread not too long ago that was begging for the devs to “fix” the chat filter because it was TOO STRICT and was picking up words like Horsemen and blocking it.

So, as is the case with most luxuries- some people will like it, some won’t. Until that pendulum swings to a point that affects the devs in a tangible way, size of player base or income, then nothing will happen. :wink:

This isn’t about being offended. This about people acting like morons. There’s a HUGE difference.

2 Likes

Your post about @esslee 's jokes… wouldn’t have anything to do about the terrible wind England has been enduring would it? :joy: Lol

1 Like

There was the one about the owl too…

1 Like

Chat must have eaten that as I didn’t see it lol. By tbe way I saw u mention your kids play this game on console? Can you not disconnect from chat on there? I know there’s a few bugs I haven’t personally tried to as I mostly play on iOS with u guys :grin:

are you not “offended” by said “morons” thus this thread?

First of all, I didn’t participate in this thread at all until the “freedom of speech” stuff started.

No, I’m not offended at all. People nowadays get offended by every little thing and people need a thicker skin.

That being said, GoW is a game and it’s owned by a private company that sets it’s own rules. It isn’t good business to let that kind of juvenile junk go on in chat.

You know, it’s entirely possible for someone to support freedom of speech, fight censorship, and still wish idiot 14-year old potty mouths would act like something with an IQ north of “neanderthal”.

Alas, welcome to Idiocracy. Gimme another Brawndo!

6 Likes

3 Likes

ahh so you support freedom of speech and fight censorship, unless they are idiots with the iq of neanderthals…

It’s called a civilized society Tech9, is that something you’re familiar with?

While I am certain there are some here who often dream of living in anarchy, words often lead to action. Society can’t function under anarchy.

1 Like