StarSheets: Kingdom Stars Decision-Maker

Roll the drums. Due to popular demand and lots of hair-pulling sessions late at night. Here’s the Beta of StarSheets.

No need to drill down to what you want.
No need to decipher hieroglyphs.
Information is presented in an attractive, familiar, user-friendly way.
What is under the bonnet is trustworthy and can be checked by the user
It is not a Mazarati with a Trabant engine under the bonnet.
There is flexibility - everyone can use it, change it, improve it. It’s yours.

The Alpha version will:

AutoUpdate from GoW JSONs using Python.
AutoUpdate user data from older StarSheets.

If you are under level 600 this is the resource for you!

GoWStarSheets can be downloaded from:

Just click on the Download Zip button

Unfortunately, I do not use MS Office. Fortunately LibreOffice is free to download and free to use.

You can download LibreOffice 5.1 from here:

When you open StarSheets click on the Help Tab and follow the instructions.

Enjoy.

IMHO, I think it is better if the screenshots have a home in another thread and we can keep discussion here:

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing this resource. :slight_smile: It’s pretty easy to setup and use as well. I really needed something like this because I hate tearing my hair out of kingdom decisions.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, or fortunately 'cos it’s free, you need to also download LibreOffice 5.1 from here:
Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft
It’s Free to download and free to use.

@Bludax
so - with normal microsoft office it doesnt work?

If you’re using Excel 2010 you can get it to repair the sheet and it will seem to work. But I can’t confirm that everything works properly. I didn’t have time to fill it in.

I’m sure some of it will work with MS Excel, but for sure not all of it will work. There are some formulas that are not in Excel and while some formulas will look the same their behavior may be slightly different.

I cannot afford to pay for MS Excel nor am I willing to use a pirate copy here in the Philippines and end up having my OS nerfed by MS.

Feel free to transfer what you can to MS Excel. There is no need due to the easy availability of LibreOffice. It runs on other operating systems so that is a plus.

Oh, if you want to play around with StarSheets you need to be aware that there are some hidden columns and one hidden sheet.

The code is yours. The formulas are yours. Enjoy :slight_smile:

Hi @Bludax,
I won’t probably use it because I am using ToDo Monitor but I wanted to check your work. I pleased to say, nicely done.
Can you please check the calculation of kingdom power for Pridelands? I have found that it doesn’t calculate Chimera’s traits correctly. I have correcly dilled 1.st trait for chimera in main tab but summary shows 0.

Hi @orbin111 and @Ashasekayi,

Thanks for the thumbs-up and feedback :flushed:

Tested the Chimera problem and it showed that a hidden column had a missing formula that was reproduced across the Kingdoms. Now fixed. StartSheets03b is now in the repository available for download. Just copy your old input and paste it into the new spreadsheet.

GowStarSheets04b has been uploaded with details of the new troop: Sacrificial Priest. :slight_smile:

Also added column linking troop names to the Wiki Troop Detail
Also Added other resources, for example those below;

ToDo Standalone program by turintuor

Troop Listing and Filtering Resource – Can be used for Team-Building by Lyya

GoW Team-Builder Beta by Mr Snake

1 Like

THX man - i appreciate it :wink:

You are welcome @MrSnake It can get lonely in the engine room. I hope you succeed. I will have some ideas for you later.

But first, I am forced to make a defense of Spreadsheets!

Saw this quote by accident while linking the resource to my thread.

‘Most of us should have a spreasheet to do that but this solution is quite limited and can be slow if you put some crazy formula.’

In defence of all spreadsheet soldiers, I feel I just have to respond - in a nice way.

Let’s look at some advantages of spreadsheets:

Rapid development - I can confirm that.
Excellent visual representation of data.
No need to drill down to get to the data you need.
No need to master new software. Spreadsheets are familiar.
Most school-children can operate a spreadsheet.
Many Managers make decisions based on data in Spreadsheets.
Spreadsheets are great for modelling 'what if’s and simulations.

Now, I will admit there is a limitation here. I am a hobbyist not a professional programmer. There are limits to the amount of time I can spend on development. Also, I am pretty low on the learning curve. Nevertheless, StarSheets works and gives an excellent visual representation of the data we need to analyse, no matter what is under the bonnet.

I am aware that code for the buttons can be improved using Select…Case Statements. I am also aware, and mention in the spreadsheet, that a particularly long nested formula will be shortened using a VLookup table. There is no ‘apparent’ loss of speed.

So, I am really curious as to why @turintuor felt the need to state ‘Spreadsheets… this solution is quite limited’.

What solution? What limitation? Seriously curious :slight_smile:

In fact, I thought that the calculation could be longer using a spreadsheet when I said that :stuck_out_tongue: .
I created a C++/Qt application because I’m used to it and it’s the same for you: you propose a spreadsheet because you have some knowledge about that.

Players now have two very different solutions to optimize their kingdom power level. They will use the one that fit the most their preference ;-).

I think you fill this spreasheet manually and it should have take a lot of time. So, thank you for this work :slight_smile: .

EDIT: apparently, I was too rude :wink: .

1 Like

Updated StarSheets is now available in the GitHub Repository: :slight_smile:

Added New Troops: Marilith and Naga Queen
Tested and confirmed the changes all work
Made improvements to Links Sheet (More organised and visual)
Added new links especially Lyya’s excellent Troop / Classes / Weapons Resource
Added User Notes area for each Kingdom
Added <<< Return to Table to each kingdom to make it clear that there is no need to scroll back to the table, Just Ctrl-Click Gold Stars.

1 Like

No need to drill down to what you want.
No need to decipher hieroglyphs.
Information is presented in an attractive, familiar, user-friendly way.
What is under the bonnet is trustworthy and can be checked by the user
It is not a Mazarati with a Trabant engine under the bonnet.
There is flexibility - everyone can use it, change it, improve it. It’s yours.

The Alpha version will:

AutoUpdate from GoW JSONs using Python.
AutoUpdate user data from older StarSheets.

If you are under level 600 this is the resource for you!

StarSheets 6b is out with the latest updated troop - Nobend Brothers - get it from here.

Enjoy :slight_smile:

1 Like