New Feature: My Collection on Gems of War Database

Out and about now I’ll try once I get home.

I thought about it, and might end up making that an optional column to fill in. I know that for some people, tracking this is important, but it’s also something that goes out of sync a lot and is hard to manually update (think of opening 50 chests and having to update 30 rows of the database each time!) Traitstones are like that too but at least there are only 40 of them to update. If the devs ever give me an API I can use to query user collection stats (@Sirrian, if you’re listening!) then I can accomodate that easily. (Though if I had that API, the whole page could become read-only and simplify things considerably…)

5 Likes

Good gracious. It looks like he is there, I must have had one of the filters applied and didn’t see him. Apologies! Thanks again for a wonderful site though, it has been immensely helpful!

Yeah, I was thinking about that as I wrote it. I know on Mondays, my guild kicks out a ton of keys - yesterday it was like 400+. Do I really want to have to go through 400 new cards to update it? And then when I ascend a troop, I need to update it again?

The answer was “ugh, kinda :/”

Another thought (now that I’ve finished putting everything in): on classes, maybe a checkbox to flag that you obtained the weapon? I don’t know what DB you’re using (SQL or NoSql) so I don’t know how much of a PITA it is to add a new field like this; this is something that I think would be good, but also not terribly important.

(I’m really torn on the original suggestion; I’m sure it’d need adding a new field or something, but I almost want it enough to where it’d be worth it.)

And I agree - some kind of user API would be awesome for this :slight_smile: Even if they just worked something out with you specifically and didn’t make it actually “public”, since you’re obviously dedicated to this community.

Regarding Traitstones, any way you could accept some kind of import too? Because right now these 40 inputs are a bit painful to fill.

Fantastic job overall, this is exactly what I was looking for. :heart:

You’re amazing @Lyya, thank you!

Just noticed you can filter your collection by clicking on the traitstones in the checklist… that’s awesome.

Do the checklist amounts update when we update the traits for a troop, like subtract from what we’ve said we have? (It feels like I’m being unclear with this, so if it doesn’t make sense I’ll clarify.)

Done. Refresh the page and you’ll get a few new columns in the exported CSV, modify the traitstoneCount column as needed and import.

1 Like

No, they don’t. I debated doing that, but while it makes sense to do it once at steady-state, while people are still entering data it could cause weird behavior – particularly if they enter traitstone info before entering troop info. I could change this behavior, and deduct/refund the needed stones upon changes to the trait counts if people like, but keep in mind that you’re gaining stones all the time from each match, so an automatic update would only be a shortcut for removal, not gain, and I’m a bit unhappy with the half-automatic nature of that behavior.

Yeah, I could definitely see issues with it - if nothing else, another spot for bugs and/or confusion. No worries, just curious if it did or not :slight_smile:

Thanks very much for this, Lyya! I found it so much easier to use than the ToDo Monitor :slight_smile:

User name, email, and password changing are now available at Sign In - Gems of War Database.

1 Like

Being able to set everything to mythic lvl 20 is nice, but I have many troops that are mythic lvl 1 and a lot that are max lvl for their rarity.

Having a checkbox for selecting a group of troops to change all at once would be AMAZING.

Looking forward to trying this out.

This is typically the case that Lyya was trying to support with export/import. She can’t handle all the possible batch operations and advanced features everyone might want, so the easiest both for her and for us is to:

1. export to CSV,
  2. copy it in Google Docs, Excel, or whatever your favorite spreadsheet editor is,
  3. change all the troops you want at the same time with all the super-duper filters, multi-selection and even formulas offered by spreadsheets (max level for rarity = rarity + 14, that’s easy to do in a spreadsheet),
  4. copy the whole table again from the spreadsheet,
  5. import from CSV on Lyya’s website.

It might seem involved, but it’s a great compromise to allow crazy stuff like the formulas I mentioned.

3 Likes

I just tried your new database system and it works great!

I haven’t read everything above, but here are the few things I noticed that may need a few tweaks:

• Set all levels to 1.
  • Modify the side bar so it doesn’t disappear from zoom (on my 1080p monitor it disappears after a 125% zoom, likely even quicker on smaller platforms).
  • Have a toggleable option for the side bar to show or hide the bar.
  • When sorted by kingdom, change the side bar to only reflect the souls and traitstones needed for that kingdom sort.
  • When sorted by kingdom, show kingdom exp, star level, and amount of exp needed for all following star levels based on the data’s current input.

This you can do by clicking the “Count hidden troops” toggle off, so it only counts what is displayed

1 Like

I just made the batch operation dialogs take an edit control where you can specify the level / rarity / trait count you want and the page will attempt to accomodate you as best as possible (rarity will be clamped to base rarity). Note that setting level to 20 here will make the troops Mythic automatically, so if you really want “highest level for their current rarity” then you should do what @Youdz suggested and export to CSV.

I’ll look into this. The overlapping checklist is a usability issue when someone wants to interact with the table below it, so I’m not sure I want it present when the page can’t accomodate both the troop table as well as the checklist.

That’s on the todo list. Haven’t gotten to it yet.

3 Likes

Just added a pushpin to the checklist panel. When pushed, the panel will persist, even if it would overlap the rest of the UI. Use it if you dare!

2 Likes