Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

I’m thoroughly puzzled by where this is now going… @sirrian sorry I didn’t get what the changes could mean: we battle a different guild each day but you can do the battles on any day? Probably me being obtuse but I don’t get it…?

Likewise. I was a little confused by what he said, and am now way more confused.

My impression was that you can only fight a given guild on a given day, you get points based on the number and quality of attacks each day, then those points roll up into a weekly calculation. That weekly calculation is used to determine your guild’s ranking on a global leaderboard and payouts are based on that ranking.

It really seemed like the only change was that you don’t get rewards based on whether you win or lose each day (which seemed a little silly to me but whatever). It also seemed like it was actually worse than the 10 tickets solution since it still effectively requires daily play if you want to rank the best. I didn’t get the sense that you could do your 30 battles whenever you wanted, which seems like the crux of the issue. Wouldn’t that still mean people can game the system by storing up until the end of the week then blitzing to trick the global leaderboards? Or do you not get to see the global leaderboards until it’s all over (which seems really crappy to me).

I may be missing or misinterpreted something as I’m on mobile and had to skim but I keep reading people saying daily battles don’t matter and that is only sort of true. From a strickly “Who won on Tuesday?”, for example, then yeah, it doesn’t matter that much since you don’t get rewards for that battle by itself, but at the end of the week, my interpretation is that there is still going to be a ranking of 1st through 6th for how the guilds did during the week based off all the battles done that week between those six guilds.

Yes, in theory, a guild could lose 5 of the 6 days of daily battles and still win the war but that doesn’t really bother me. To me “Daily Battles” become the new Trophy Leaderboards (on a smaller scale) and the Weekly War is the real goal (which was always the case).

I do agree that it would be nice if the bragging rights for the Daily Battles were expanded (this may already be planned so this isn’t a complaint) so that there is some kind of global recognition for guilds for different things like most wins on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, etc, most overall daily wins, most weekly wins, etc. but I don’t want tangible rewards for daily wins as that would undermine the solution Sirrian and co have come up with. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know Sirrian said they are going to be busy for the next day or so, but I really wish he would come back and put people’s minds a little more at ease.

All we’re doing at this point is yet again guessing and speculating based off information provided. But the one thing we do know is that rewards won’t be given out daily anymore.

So I guess that’s at least up for opinion. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It’s probably because I feel like Sirrian responded directly to my only complaint (and responded in the best possible way imho) but I’m completely fine waiting until next week for the next Preview (#3). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it sounded good to me as well, since it did the same. But people still have concerns obviously, and I feel a bit like a toddler trying to direct traffic.

We’re all too under-qualified to be telling anyone anything. :laughing:

2 Likes

2 Likes

I think it’s still a loss IF the Guild’s War WOULD HAVE any fairly decent reward for the regular participation on each day and IF they are now gone for good, we didn’t even reached the point to see about it and then measure if the “free for all” option balances the pros and cons of missing any tangible reward. Not that those couldn’t be added to the whole hoard at the end of the week, but i would like to know, in numbers, how the rewards were planned before.

Why i’m curious? The plan could be to evenly distribute some extra keys/gems, pretty much how the weekly events are doing now, during the week. It may not seems like as a big deal to some of us, but maybe some keys from the Guild’s War could give a new troop for an newish/average player and that would keep him and his guildies more interested. Not that at the end of the week with all things they got they wouldn’t be happy/interested.

I’ll have to look back through Sirrian’s posts but I don’t think there were ever specific rewards for daily battles that are now lost. The rewards were always going to be for the end of the week. At least that was my impression. Regardless, we haven’t lost any rewards, it’s just that the rewards are all added together at the end of the week. If you could win 100 gems before you can still win 100 gems now (or whatever the reward is).

2 Likes

So let’s say it shows up Intrim vs Anonymous on the last day. Immediately everyone goes to the Guild chat, to do no battles on the first 5 days, so they can maximize the score on the last day, and get the bragging rights… I’m serious, it would happen.

About not losing anyting in numbers i also believe so, hence why i make sure to put the big “IFs” and all. But i really had the impression that some stuff would be rewarded as the week goes, spoils of battle likewise, and a final cumulative reward for the guild’s collective effort.
Impression? Wishful thinking? Pure crazyness? Dunno… but i have this “echo” that something was mentioned in this sense.

After reading several posts here…

8 Likes

Um…I think I’m missing something. What would the point of waiting to fight be exactly?

It’s possible but ultimately it doesn’t change the total amount of rewards gained. I’m all for having something to point to and say “Ha! We beat your butt on Wednesday!” or “We have the most daily wins of any guild!”, etc. I’m all for ladders of all kinds but I don’t think those need to have rewards attached to them, too.

That is, of course, just my opinion but I feel strongly about it because as soon as you attached actual rewards to it, then you’re back to the original issue of players feeling forced to compete daily and guilds that will make that a requirement.

1 Like

Perhaps, but in the end my curiosity is more likely about understanding how the devs would come up with some decisions/designs in the first place. They showed that, not only once, they are willing to consider the feedback given and make adjustments as they deem reasonable, but the whole process behind the original ideas seems interesting to me.

2 Likes

No argument from me there. :smiley:

1 Like

I can’t wait for Sirrian…

5 Likes

I was the one who talked about Color Battles ;-). I didn’t say that it’s not anymore a Guild versus Guild Battle. I just propose removing the “Daily” part and the specificity of each battle versus a specific guild is the color, we can call it Color Battles. Or Guild Battles if you prefer.

My only concern is why the points against one specific guild stop to be counted after the corresponding day better than being counted for the whole week.

From what I understand, you have 5 fights against each guild and not 30 fights against the guild that you want.

1 Like

Depending on how it’s implemented, it could lead to an exploit. But I’m sure Sirrian is on it :wink: