Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

I like the idea of daily rewards for Guild Wars that is not resource based (i.e. keys). So here is a suggestion:

Guild that finished top of the leader board at the end of the day will have all guild members’ chat a different colour in global chat the next day. Example: Guild A finished top on Tuesday. On Wednesday all guild A’s member will have say orange text in global chat until the end of the day.

This allows all other players to see who is the top guild for the day in global. :smile:

2 Likes

The guild that loses the most over a week/month/season should get disbanded. Survival of the fittest!

And no, I’m not @Dr_RoBoTniK in disguise.

:grimacing:

2 Likes

Ah coloured bragging, excellent idea.

Random and mildly on-topic:

@sirrian @Nimhain

Seeing as BoneDragon is acknowledged that a fix is due, but the fix is dependent on the next major content patch, with GW which may still be weeks away: please can we get an interim mild fix and just increase its mana cost by 2, to 16. Surely this will take someone less than five minutes to change one variable entry in a database?

Cheers

6 Likes

if there is a guild war ranking the idea is totally not gone, i dont wanna tweak rewards based on the activity frequency - that would halfly (if not completely) defeat the purpose of why it was made flexible to begin with

1 Like

Not random and totally off-topic:

@Sirrian @Nimhain

Seeing as BoneDragon is a popular troop, please don’t honor above request.

Cheers

1 Like

I like Draps Idea

Yes, you are correct. We will still see who earned the most points for the week and thusly is “The Best” at the end of the week. But that cumulative score is a conglomerate of a War waged against 6, now faceless opponents. In the original design, importance was placed on the domination of INDIVIDUAL guilds on a daily basis, this allowed for a clear cut definitive answer to Guild A vs Guild B: Who is the victor?

To give a more tangible example lets say that Mean Machine faces

1. Interim
  2. Interim II
  3. Hoguns
  4. Anonymous
  5. Dragon’s Peak
  6. Blazing Dragons

Aside from that being a horrible pull for us, lol, lets further assume that all 6 of those guilds for whatever reasons don’t participate until the last day. Mean Machine rallies its members and we all agree to fight 5 matches every day because we WANT to see how we compare to these top tier guilds.

Results:
Day 1: Mean Machine soundly defeats Interim
Day 2: Mean Machine soundly defeats Interim 2
Day 3: Mean Machine soundly defeats Hoguns
Day 4: Mean Machine soundly defeats Anonymous
Day 5: Mean Machine soundly defeats Dragon’s Peak
Day 6: Mean Machine narrowly defeats Blazing Dragons (Blazing Dragons’s did all their battles today)

BUT at the end of the week, because of our inability to field teams of ALL one color, members not playing well or what have you the WEEKLY results look like this:

1st Place: Interim
2nd Place: Interim 2
3rd Place: Hoguns
4th Place: Anonymous
5th Place: Dragon’s Peak
6th Place: Blazing Dragon’s
7th Place: Mean Machine

Now, I ask you, what sort of bragging rights do we really have? If we turn around in Global or on the forums saying: “Look we took down all of these Guilds!” The obvious retort and snub will be… “Yeah, but we didn’t compete in any of those battles…” And the record will show that we are in fact the Weekly LOSERS, despite our week long run of victories. That doesn’t seem fair somehow in my eyes. So, some sort of reward for each of those Daily Battles would curtail the “pain” of seeing us suddenly drop from 1st to 7th because everybody waited til the last day. And that reward doesn’t have to be tied to the weekly “unique” reward but SOMETHING offered to signify a job well done I think is not unreasonable.

Final bit of information here:
I am not that competitive a player, nor do I think Mean Machine would start any sort of bragging chant in Global, BUT I am voicing this opinion on behalf of those players who ARE competitive and WERE looking forward to being able to discern WITHOUT DEBATE how they matched up against some other Guilds. What I DO agree with from my post is that a decent amount of the Guild vs Guild element of GW is gone, because nobody places an importance on those daily battles anymore.

And we haven’t even gotten to Sneak Peak III yet! :wink:

tl;dr: Just presenting the opposition POV for devs :grin:

4 Likes

TL;DR - its still possible to make the system where the other guilds waiting for last day will get no benefit from it and Mean Machine could be as well 1st - and that could still fit the latest concept of “fighting at our leisure” devs presented

we did not see the “set guild war defense” window yet, it may open possibility to set 6 different defenses for each color separatelly,

plus: who knows maybe devs made the points earned non-dependant to the point changes throughout the weak then you could be a winner or looser solely dependent on the way you win those fights and them waiting for last moment could help with nothing in particular

last minute rush only works if the points you win/loose are flexible for the point changes throughout the week

for all the ppl who dont get what im trying to say:
if there is a table of guild score from last week - and the points rewarded/lost from this week fights base on last week score (not the ever changing this week score) - then there is NO BENEFIT for waiting until last day

1 Like

I’m not sure what point there would be to bragging about winning on day X when you ultimately lose the war. The winner of the war matters most imho (if you even care about such things). You still get to say that you beat Guild Y at the end of the week. So, the guild versus guild spirit is still alive.

Also, as someone already stated, if they turn around and give any rewards for daily fights, it defeats the whole purpose of the change.

1 Like

I’d just like to point out that we have very little concrete information about how the actual battle system for GW is going to work so far. I’m not saying we can’t speculate but I’d caution against going too far down that path until the Devs release more information and arguing about completely speculative details definitely seems like wasted effort. Some might think that’s the “pot calling the kettle black” on my part since I did lead the charge against the daily battles requirement but that was a very specific feature that Sirrian discussed, not a speculative guess about what might be implemented. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ogunther I am responding to as much information as we had when you started your battle against 5 ranked PvP battles. :wink:

There will still be a daily winner, but for bragging rights only. And from that post on, everybody (read the vocal minority, but the players I care about) has made it very clear that they don’t care about those DAILY, GUILD vs GUILD contests which seem essential in a GUILD WAR, inmho. So I would hope that they are factored in somehow in the weekly results so that, given my example above a Guild that dominates all week does not end up the WEEKLY LOSER.

IMO: This goes directly against the initial point that @sirrian made about GW needing to promote guild communication and organization. If nobody cares about when they get done, you never need to communicate with your Guild to get them done. Everybody do your own thing and I’ll see you on Sunday is not a NEW feature. It’s what we have right now.

2 Likes

The top guilds already communicate and cooperate - they’ve even set up separate services and servers to do so. The restrictions won’t make them communicate more because communicating more than they already do isn’t even possible.

It will only FORCE the less active guilds to do it, creating anxiety and animosity (some people want to just play and not be pressured). Eventually, only the active guilds are left and the casual game is gone.

1 Like

It is 5 battles per day and you can still win trophies from PvP just as you do now. I really don’t get how this is the apocalyptic scenario you are describing

2 Likes

See this is what has ahd me confused from the very beginning… GW doesn’t FORCE anything. It is an alternate game mode, which a guild SHOULD communicate and decide to register for or not. If they communicate and decide not to compete, then that is their CHOICE. If they communicate and decide to compete that is their CHOICE.

GUILD WARS just by looking at its name, should not be a place for beginner/casual Guilds. And THAT’S OK. Just like Treasure Maps are not for end-gamers, the ROI is simply not there for us. We get it, we ask for changes, but devs have the data that says hey beginners love those things. And you know what, I played the hell out of them when I was coming up the ranks. I didn’t understand how anybody could have a stockpile of maps, now Im sittting on 900 of them. Not every game made has to cater to every player ALL the time.

IMO: Guild Wars was going to be a place for the best of the best to duke it out for unrefutable bragging rights and unique rewards. Now its not. Its a safe place for all to participate and earn rewards. I just feel like some of the EDGE is gone. Of course, I also understand we have literally seen 2 teeny weeny snipits of information, but this thread has never been about conservative suggestion, has it? :wink:

7 Likes

If they kept the original 5 games everyday, no one would need to communicate about that. People would have just done their 5 fights a day against whoever they rolled in PVP.

The communication comes from discussing single color team builds for invades and effective strong defense teams. And of course, as time goes on, there may be guild specific weaknesses that a guild can discuss and use to defeat them.

3 Likes

Unrefutable bragging rights - yes. Unique rewards - absolutely ****ing not. It’s a game. If the Devs want it to be a game for hardcore players, casual need not apply then they’re going to lose a lot of subscribers.

I find it ironic that the most vocal supporters of the “must play every day” requirements are all in top guilds…

And as for your contention that it shouldn’t be for casual guilds, I absolutely agree. It won’t be because they won’t participate. But you know what? There’s guilds out there that WANT to compete but can’t because they don’t have a million trophies or a big name. The top guilds already HAVE bragging rights, they already have scores of loot. So let’s give them even more. **** everybody else, right?

1 Like

Long-time player, first-time poster. A friend told me about the design arguments going on in the forums. Maybe I don’t understand the system/arguments fully, but my first thought was, “Why would anyone want to play a version of Guild Wars where the individual guild vs guild battles don’t matter and you have no idea how well you’re doing throughout the week?” That sounds… not fun?

3 Likes

And yet, Sirrian stated from the beginning that GW was designed for all guild levels. He even stated that losers would still get a reward. Winners just get more of that reward.

5 Likes

Yep, every guild should have the choice to enter no matter what. It’s still a competitive game mode.