Guild Wars - Sneak Peek II

I know this post is a serious one but I got to laugh because it made me laugh. :sweat_smile::laughing: Thanks. :+1:

2 Likes

Youā€™re completely missing the point.

Iā€™m not asking for everybody to get the same thing.

It was mentioned that Guild Wars could provide rewards that WERE NOT available anywhere else. Which means those that donā€™t play Guild Wars would never have a chance to earn ANY of that reward, let alone as much as the most active players.

If thatā€™s the case, it must absolutely be possible for everyone to play Guild Wars. The only way people should miss out is if they opt out. Players in casual guilds, especially active players in casual guilds, should not be restricted from earning those rewards. I NEVER suggested they should get just as many rewards as the players in guilds that do more.

Thatā€™s the way the game works now. There is literally nothing in the game that is not available to everybody. If Guild Wars has unique currency and is not available to everybody, for whatever reason, it goes against everything the game has been to this point.

That being said, we only have the information weā€™ve been given to date and Sirrian has said that theyā€™re going to try to make sure it caters to all players, regardless of play style and time.

Look at it this way:

If there was a resource, say a mega-gem that opened 100 VIP chests, and the only way you could acquire it was by finishing in the top 5 of PVP during a week, would you consider that a good mechanic?

I can tell you absolutely for certain why itā€™s not. Because my best week in PVP I played over 8 hours a day, every day that week, and finished 17th. When we know for certain that at least some of the top PVP players week to week are sharing accounts between 2 or more people, how would you feel about that?

There should NEVER be a currency that is off limits to a certain segment of the player base. If they start doing that, they might as well start putting content behind a pay wall because itā€™s the same exact intent.

And again, we have no direction from the developers that says this is going to be a problem. It just seems that a lot of the player base here on the forums has no problem with it and thatā€™s why it continues to be a topic of discussion.

2 Likes

I agree with you but GW is already doing that since you have to be in a guild at allā€¦ nitpicking, true.

1 Like

It goes out like this: guild registers for participation in next week guild wars on sunday> on the reset all battles for the week are determined> that doesnt allow new players to get in, in the midle of the fighting week, because matching was already done without them in the equation.

Sigh, you already need to be in a guild for guild seals. For statue bonuses too. .

Everybody CAN join a guild. Some people just donā€™t want to. In that case, theyā€™ve opted out of seals, bonuses, etc. Thereā€™s no barrier to people joining a guild, if they want to.

The same needs to be the case with GW. Thatā€™s all.

1 Like

But itā€™s only 6 days of battle. I also understood it happening the same way, except on monday.

I have asked the Devs long time ago to make a Lone Wolf/Lone Survivor mode, that would had benefit many players I would believe. Not the same rewards etc as being in the guild, but still fair.

1 Like

But it will not be off-limits for the very same reasons you listed. As long as people chose to enter the Guild Wars they are ellegible to get the rewards from collective effort of the whole guild, you may have missed this clue but the name ā€œGuild Warsā€ refers to the Guild (:scream:) working as whole (:wink:). So if you donā€™t restrict it to be something collective, like restricting the number of battles equally for each member, it could as well be named ā€œPlay whatever the way you want to Warā€ or ā€œTen guys/girls are playing for the whole 30 guys/girls each week Warā€ and the whole point is lostā€¦

Was it my post you are referring to? Well if itā€™s the case i try to mock up my own posts when i feel tempted to leave the discussion with an "iā€™m gonna let these guys do it the way they want and later iā€™m gonna say: I told you soā€¦ " atittude. Itā€™s a failsafe i adopted because i can assume that i could be wrong the whole time as well. If it makes you laugh thatā€™s a huge plus, usually the only thing i achieve is making Htismaqe mad, but we are bros and i forgive him everytime. :kissing_heart: :wink:

But seriously Htismaqe, letā€™s at least give the devs a chance to try out what they designed, i honestly wish there could be at least a month of tests for the Guildā€™s War, people havenā€™t even tried it out and are already counting on being stranted on an island having only the company of ball called Wilsonā€¦

2 Likes

If some of us didnā€™t have a lengthy history of being ā€œstranded on an islandā€ perhaps we wouldnā€™t be so vocal about it. :wink:

As Iā€™ve said repeatedly, I have faith in the Devs that theyā€™ll TRY to do the right thing. That doesnā€™t prevent them from accidentally introducing mechanics that alienate players.

Right now, the most-alienated segment of the player base is also one of the most active. And itā€™s because of their status as to whether or not theyā€™re in a top guild. The reason most people here donā€™t understand it is because theyā€™re either a very active player in a very active guild or theyā€™re a less active player and they donā€™t really care about the whole guild thing.

Some of us are end-game, very active players stuck in a no-manā€™s land where we werenā€™t in a top guild before, are way behind people of our same level, and are basically being told that if we want to catch up, we need to shit all over our guild mates and whore ourselves out. Sorry but thatā€™s just not the kind of person I am. Iā€™m not going to do it.

As you can imagine, introducing MORE guild-based mechanics that could POTENTIALLY increase that alienation is a cause for concern and therefore warrants continued discussion.

1 Like

I think the problem will be that because there is no barrier to a guild opting in, every guild will want to, and then the pressure will mount on every single player to do their battles every single day. The 2.0 (?) guild update dramatically changed guild management and requirements and I think it has tended to push more guilds into hardcore mode. I left a hardcore guild months ago to join a more casual guild, but have gradually seen the weekly minimums creep upwards as completing all guild tasks and hitting 40,000 seals became the new normal. The requirements in my current guild are now as high as the guild that I left. GW is going to have the same effect, but now the emphasis will not only be on weekly production but on daily play.

And yes, I play every day right now, but my busy season is coming up soon and Iā€™m not going to have the same flexibility in my real life as I enjoy most of the year. My wife is a nurse and works 12 hour shifts. When she comes home at 8PM, knowing she needs to get up at 5AM the next morning, maybe she doesnā€™t want to spend even 30 minutes making a new team and fighting 5 difficult battles when she just wants to relax for a little while before bed (and these are going to be the most annoying and difficult defence teams that everyone can field).

I just worry that the pressure within guilds of keeping up with the other guilds is going to create a situation where there are strictly two types of guilds: competitive guilds where a minimum of 5 GW battles per day is required, and casual guilds who donā€™t give a F$%^. Iā€™d still like to enjoy some of the benefits of being in an active guild, but canā€™t necessarily commit to the daily requirements, and fear that there will be nowhere for people like me to go.

7 Likes

If it even happens i hope you find the right combination of clothes and accessories in order to not look ā€œtoo easyā€ or ā€œcheapā€ at this new line of job.

But seriously without making some adjustments and restrictions there is no incetive for any lazy ā€œguildiesā€ to make some colaboration towards a greater good for the whole guild. So it also works to make a better selection of members for the competitive types.

Yes, some good players can be struck by some unlucky events and all, but thatā€™s not supposed to be the norm, just a sad exception/truth. Also if we could do all the 30 attacks anytime we want, there is nothing preventing people that skipped the whole ā€œworking weekā€ in order to do all the 30 attacks on the weekend to be struck by some unlucky event preventing them to participate.

Finally, bad luck and IRL issues can happen in both cases of the discussion to varying degrees of impact at the final result for the guild. But i honestly believe that spreading out five battles each day for each player is the fairest way to handle it, with the help of the Battle Tickets as Sirrian mentioned, if possible.

1 Like

Castaway like leper colony? Well, being one of the few GoW fans who hates PvP, I have felt as though I were afloat on a deserted island. A former GM even created a thread to ask why anyone in her right mind could despise PvP, but I digress. . .

Seems to me, the whole point of these ā€œsneak previewsā€ is to gauge the playerbase response to ideas before they are set in stone, so everyone who loves this game should express their opinions on what has been revealed to us thus far. If we wait until people try it out, we may be defeating the purpose of these sneak peeks entirely.

1 Like

Thatā€™s fair and a well thought point. But i assume the devs already did a lot of brainstorming discussing the same points one side or another has been making and that they already had some responses prepared for our concerns being raised like the Battle Tickets giving some flexibility when they presented the ā€œfinal, but not finalā€ concept.

Itā€™s just that increasing the said flexibility doesnā€™t sits well with me as iā€™ve been already explainingā€¦

Not like that, more like they are on a plane going home to finally play some Gems of Waā€¦ i meanā€¦ see their beloved ones and they end up stranded in the island.

But anyway, the ā€œleper colonyā€ is a good cue for something that havenā€™t being discussed so far it seemsā€¦ So far we all talked about the battles as if it was granted to be victories. But what happens to the guilds that have one or more members that simply lost at least one battle on each day?

Less rewards.

:scream:Oh the horrorā€¦:scream:

Pandoraā€™s Box is now open.

Honestly i still hold my stand defending the competitivity of the feature and i accept the nature of the beast.

But iā€™m sure that all my fair oppositors that where concerned with the laborous and herculean work of making five battles each day have reasons to be more afraid if they also need to attain the expected results of winning all of those said battles while also ā€œbreathing over the necksā€ of their fellow guildsman that are equally pressured to win it allā€¦

1 Like

Well this thread certainly went in all sorts of directions, huh? :sweat_smile:

@efh313 They are giving us technically more for doing what we are already doing, but the same would be said if there wasnā€™t a 5 battle a day implementation. But again Sirrian is just trying to make this fair, and if this is the best way then iā€™m all for it personally.

@Ivar You are crazy my friend, the voices are not real. But in this moment no, youā€™re quite on point. :smile:

I mean thereā€™s obviously a lot of sides to this thing. My only issue again is with the daily requirement as Iā€™ve said before. Other people have other issues and thatā€™s fine. This is the place to ā€œspeak now or forever hold your peace.ā€ In the end is doing 5 battles a day that big of a deal? Imo no, but I think it sets the game up for a bad precedent going forward.

Iā€™m not a guild leader so I canā€™t really speak to what this may or may not do for them. It could make things harder for them, sure. I mean personally I know sometimes itā€™s a struggle already to get 30 people together to get 40k seals each week. This is just another one of those things that puts too much dependence on a single player. IMO

6 Likes

What constitutes a ā€œlazyā€ guildmate?

Our current minimums are 300K gold and 1500K seals, which seem to be normal for many active guilds (although a few are higher). That being said, it actually requires 525K gold per member to complete all 6 tasks in a given week.

We very rarely have people miss our minimums but anybody that is putting out the amount of gold it takes to really be successful is already eyeing another guild.

If GW is not done correctly, this is only going to get worse and the divide is only going to get wider. It breeds contempt and angst within guilds and between players, which is harmful to guild unity and disruptive to the community as a whole.

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t speaking of your guild case when i mentioned ā€œlazy guildieā€, but on the whole universe of the guilds an average guild that is growing can also use this artificial or ā€œenforcedā€ incentive as a metric to have a better selection of their members. Should have clarified that, my bad.

I donā€™t want to be interpreted as a bad guy but i never took the group-hug PVP really well, i accepted it as something that was decided by the majority of the forum users, for whatever it is worth as representation of the whole player base, and moved on. Canā€™t say i wasnā€™t benefited by the way things worked out sinceā€¦ But in a certain sense i feel that the game has no competitivity at all aside from playing insane amounts of time to reach the Top 10 at PVP during a week or help your guild at ā€œTrophy Hoardingā€ in the hopes that the guilds above yours get ā€œlazyā€ and you finally move one or more ranksā€¦

Well, maybe it works for a Match-3 game to have a more casual appeal, but i canā€™t help to feel that competitive features must be competitive in order to be interesting. It doesnā€™t feel right to make so much progress, to spend so much time on the game becoming stronger day after day and not have a single true challenge ahead of me or my guild (that may not even agree with me on this)ā€¦

So maybe my burnout is a little diferent from the burnout of everyone elseā€¦ My hero/account has all this awesome power, some awesome troops (and a whole lot that could see some reworks to be finally playable like the gnolls (Yeah, yeah, buff Dokkalfar shenanigans on meā€¦)) and still there is no challenge for me, and iā€™m sure you know the feeling. Iā€™m still playing, still gathering traitstones, troops in the hopes to use it in some sort of serious competition. I hope/wish Guildā€™s War to be what iā€™ve been missing.

Wait until we have guild wars and a smart AI. It should be PvP on steroids, eh? :relaxed:

1 Like

The Smarter A.I is something that surely will stir things up. :thumbsup:

Canā€™t wait for it, only wonder if it will be out with the Guild Wars patch. :slight_smile:

1 Like