BaDaBoom!: A Goblin's Tale (Series I)

“So runt, I see you somehow managed to survive the king’s pet.” Krill said to Gobby. “Maybe there’s a bit more to you then as an itsy bitsy distraction… or maybe not. I suppose it may be true, that only time can tell… GET TO WORK FODDER!!!”
Gobby as fate would have it was paired along Jaie as well as two other goblins. They began to relentlessly assault the dummy. As time passed, the destruction of the dummies of the other teams seemed to be quite a bit further along than Gobby’s team.

“Put some heart into it.” Jaie encouraged his team to push harder, the drive to win ever present. “If we fall behind Krill will surely let us have it.” Gobby and the others pushed harder, but their dummy seemed to be made of stone. It showed some minor wear, but bits were already falling off of the dummies of the opposing teams.

“What seems to be the problem here?” Krill inquired approaching Gobby and has squad. “It’s been a long time seen a dummy so healthy this far into the exercise. Someone had better have a good explanation for this.”

“This dummy is just harder then it appears. We’re pushing as hard as we can.” Jaie informed the sergeant.

“Gobby, put some effort into it. Why does it seem like goblins are weaker when you’re around?” Krill barked at Gobby. Gobby felt deep inside as if Krill had something harbored deep within against him.

“I do not make goblins around me weaker.” Gobby said, defending himself from Krill’s sharp attacks.

“Let us just see then.” Krill said in kind. “YOU!!! GOBLIN!!!” Krill called out pointing to a goblin on another team. “Trade places with the runt here.” He said looking at Gobby. “Their Dummy is almost destroyed, there will be no excuses for Jaie and the others to finish before you…” Gobby stood for a moment not knowing what to think. “Well get to it runt, your burning time.”

“Yes sergeant.” Gobby said, switching sides to work on the new dummy. A few moments passed and he noticed that him new dummy wasn’t wearing as well as it was before he joined the squad. This discouraged Gobby. As Gobby looked to Jaie’s team seeing how diminished their dummy was in its current state, he couldn’t help but ponder to himself… Could Krill possibly be right? Does his very presence bring down strength of other goblins? He wrote it off and focused all his energy into the task at hand, it was not long however, until the other dummies started to become dismantled. Two other teams finished first within moments of each other followed by Jaie and Gobby’s old team, followed by another. All teams at this point have had their dummies dismantled, only Gobby’s team was left. A few more moments were spent hacking away at the battle dummy to no avail. Krill had approached the team. Clearly, he had had enough.

“That’s enough out of you runt, step aside.” Krill had said in a tone that was clearly less then pleased. Pressing his luck, Gobby hesitated, he was unwilling to accept defeat. “Did I not speak clearly enough for you runt?” Krill had asked.

“Yes sir…” Gobby said looking to the ground. “Sorry sir.” He spoke softly as he stepped back to the line.

“Take his place Jaie.” Krill instructed. Jaie nodded as he approached the dummy and along with the others resumed its assault. Only a few moments more passed before it fell. Gobby lowered his head in despair. ‘Why?’ He wondered to himself. ‘Why am I not on par with other goblins? Am I just not meant for war?’ These questions would stay with Gobby for a while, much longer then he would have preferred.

“Why do I find you consistently unable to perform basic goblin tasks?” Krill asked Gobby. “I’ve said before, ‘you’re not cut out for war,’ and with each day that passes, this shows to be a little more true. Either get your act together… or find another path to walk.” Krill looked on at Gobby in disapproval. He couldn’t say it but not only did he expect Gobby to persevere, he wanted him to. He had however, a job to do. If Gobby wasn’t meant for war, he was obligated to the kingdom to cast him out. He was tough because you don’t become a great soldier by training with someone who will hold your hand. Great soldiers become great by pushing through struggle, by being put in their place.

“You’re all dismissed, but you runt, are running out of second chances… Soon enough, there’ll be no more to give.” Krill dismissed the group but stopped them to give one last order. “There will be a campfire this evening to unwind at the top of ten o’clock, there’s a big training session tomorrow, and this may be the last break you ever get. You have downtime until then, eat, rest, socialize…” He looked down at Gobby. “Training would be a good step for a few of you but you’re free to do as you wish. Now get out of my sight before I put you to work.”

Gobby took Krill’s suggestion to heart and headed off to the track as the other goblins dispersed. With depression setting in, the sleepless night before began to as well.

“I’ll train hard.” Gobby said to himself out loud. “I’ll overcome everything in my way. I’ll make a difference, just like my dad.” Gobby ran the track. He ran about seven loops until he couldn’t run anymore, then he jogged the track. Off in the distance unbeknownst to him, Krill was observing with the king.

“Gobby has heart. Lots of it.” The king said to Krill.

“The runt sure does, but he has very little else to aid in a war.” Krill replied. “His father had heart too… but he knew how to drop a foe. I’m just not sure if Gobby has the stuff.”

“We will see.” The king said. “Time will tell. Father not succeed in academy first time, he make big difference in Giant Struggle, turned tide for us.”

“He did indeed. The cost he paid for that victory, however, is one I’d rather Gobby not pay.” Krill replied.

“Do what you must… I trust your judgement.” The king began. “Be aware, if he has his father’s will, he not relent.”

“I’m aware, how are we on the battlefront? Will I be needed?” Krill inquired as to the state of the kingdom’s ongoing war.

“Luther sends army to invade. They passed through Adana, nearing Pan’s Vale. I will join troops in forest. We cripple Spire’s force.” The king informs Krill. He puts his hand on Krill’s shoulder. “You stay. Important work for you here. In time, we need more soldiers. No better goblin to train them.”

“I understand. Strength be with you.” Krill wished the king well.

“And you too.” The king turned to leave and paused for a moment. “Lead well, someday you will.”
Krill looked to the track and saw Gobby still jogging along.

“Runt does have heart, can’t deny that.” Krill said to himself. A horn sounded in the distance alerting that it was nine in the evening. “I’ve got work to do.” He said as he scurried off to set up the campfire.

Soon enough time passed by and ten was on approach. Gobby jogged into the campsite and saw a roaring fire, surrounded by logs the other cadets were seated on. It was really quite a marvelous sight, goblins didn’t get see fire all too often. The facts of the flammability of goblins was drilled into most at quite a young age, Gobby had had a close call or two over time but always seemed to dodge the bullet. Gobby took a seat beside another goblin on a log adjacent to Jaie. The twenty goblins sat and awaited Krill to arrive… or approach rather, Krill was always where he was supposed to be when he was required to, even if you weren’t quite to notice.

It wasn’t long after Gobby had sat that the hourly horn sounded. It was indeed now ten in the evening, and the gathering had begun.

“Greetings fodder…” Krill’s voice resounded eerily as he stepped out from beyond the flickering flames. “Tomorrow marks the start of some rather intensive training.” Krill said as he glared around the cadets. “Everything considered, around half you won’t make the grade. Those of you who rise above the challenge, will be well on your way to making a difference in the Zaejin army. The next three weeks of training will be the toughest weeks in your lives compared to the previous two, which were a step up from the five weeks of basic training and classroom studies.” Krill took a moment to take a breath and the seriousness of his tone picked up. “This is not something to take lightly. This here is a time for you all to reflect, on what you’ve been through so far and the struggles of tomorrow and the next day, and the next. Take a breather and decide if this path is the one you ought to walk. Enjoy these precious moments, for the time ahead will make or break you. Take your time, put real thought into it, it’s all uphill from here.”

Gobby had spent a while pondering as to what to do next, not in this moment, it was the only thing on his mind as he ran the track. He resolved to push through, no matter what came next he would take it head on. Gobby focused on the crackling flame, captivated in its mesmerizing light. He felt it draw him near, as if it were calling out his very name. Gobby approached the flame, as he did so Krill took notice and felt the urge to speak.

“I wouldn’t get so close to that if I were you runt.” He spoke. “The fires have had a way of consuming goblin kind. We weren’t built to burn.”

Gobby failed to heed this particular warning. He was hypnotized by its flickering light. A moment passed, and he outstretched his arm. The fire was hungry, eager to consume, and it had leaped out and set the poor goblin’s arm ablaze.

“Ahhhhh.” Gobby cried out, shaking his arm. This to him was a new sensation, there some discomfort, but not nearly as painful as one would expect. Krill had approached and drew life from the flame, barely a second from when Krill had begun the draw, the fire had quelled.

“When I speak advice, it usually carries merit.” Krill said in a rather agitated tone. “The burn is not too bad, you are quite fortunate. Most goblins would be ashes when in contact with the flame. There is special gear to be used in tasks even as small as preparing meals. Go have this checked out, and be more mindful going
on.” Krill had told Gobby. “The rest of you disperse. I would get some rest I if were you, here on out, things won’t be easy.

Gobby saw the Scylla, the chief shaman of the kingdom of Zaejin. She was the shaman who tended to the affairs of the academy although she would also assist other goblins in the kingdom if the need were dire enough. She was amongst the best, even outside the kingdom, she would often venture to other lands in need of a healer, her job she did very well.

“The entire arm was on fire?” She asked. “That’s strangely peculiar.”

“Yes, the entire arm.” Gobby answered. “What’s so wrong with that?”

“The burn is among the smallest I’ve ever seen.” She told him. “I’ve seen much smaller blazes cause much more damage to goblins than this.”

“Really?” Gobby inquired. “I suppose I must be lucky.” He said.

“Yes I suppose. I would be careful just in case, this may have just been a unique instance.” Scylla told him. “Or perhaps, maybe it is you who are unique.” She paused for a moment, Gobby could see that she was intrigued with this statement. “If you have a close encounter with a flame again, be sure to allow me to tend to it.”

“Will do.” Gobby said and left to return to his barracks. As far as news went this wasn’t quite so bad Gobby thought to himself as he walked through the path on his way to the cadet’s living quarters. All of Gobby’s life he had been a little less then what he had aimed for, always just a little too small to fit in. This couldn’t have been more true not, training for war with peers who clearly towered over him.

“Unique…” Gobby said to himself filled with a sense of pride for the first time in a while. “I’m going to rise up, someday. I’ll rise up and be great. I’ll stand out amongst the crowed. Goblins, will remember me." Gobby assured himself as he walked to the outside of the of the cadets’ barracks. He stopped for a moment and glared at the light cast from the torch lamp that lighted the outside of the academy’s grounds. Once again he felt drawn to its captivating light, even more so now, with his renewed sense of purpose. Against all sense of reason Gobby had outstretched his arm and reached out to the flame in the lamp that towered over him. Within this singular moment of innocent resolve, catastrophe chose to reign in chaos.

Within this moment, the flame lashed out and relit the cloth on Gobby’s arm. Gobby however, was not the extent of its unbridled rage. The flames quickly spread and engulfed the corridors of the cadets living area. Gobby had smothered the flame on his arm and raced down to the rooms where the other goblins had slept, to warn them of the coming danger. Gobby ran down the halls banging on the room doors, each room held within them five goblins less himself. ‘What have I done?’ he thought to himself as he screamed to alert those who lie in slumber.

“GET UP AND GET MOVING!!!” Gobby screamed as the flame approached. “THE GALLUK FLAME APPROCHES!!!” Soon enough Gobby’s ruckus had gathered attention and the door began to open and the goblins within scurried out. Panic was heavy in the halls as the goblins tried to avoid the encroaching flames. The thick smog impeded the goblin’s vision and Gobby found himself having difficulty breathing. The room around him began to spin and Gobby fell to the ground, gasping for air. Not too long after, he was lost in his consciousness. Over taken to the smog, unsure of what would come of him.

“I’m so jealous… I need to wait a whole two years to join ZCA. I wish I could finish school sooner.”

“I wish I were as enthused as you. I’m not so sure where I want my path to take me. In truth I’m into boars. Perhaps I’ll raise them someday. I’m just going to the academy to figure out where I belong and what’s next. Who knows, maybe the army actually is where I belong. Only time will tell I suppose.”

“I’m going to be the greatest solider ever, no matter how small I am, I’ll always rise above the world. I’ll show everyone, just you wait and see.”

‘How long ago was this? It’s funny how things change over time. There was a time when I was so sure that nothing could stand in my way on the path to greatness. Now it feels like the smallest of stumps cannot be marched over… where exactly am I? Did I survive?’

Thoughts and memories filled Gobby’s head as he rested in the Scylla’s medical station. He could hear some faint talking in the distance but the dialogue was inaudible. Gobby felt weak and attempted to raise his arm. Scylla took note of this and approached him.

“Don’t try to move so much, you’re going to be fine but have some minor smoke damage.” Scylla said to put Gobby at ease. “You should rest for today, we’ll speak with you tomorrow."

Gobby didn’t try to argue, he let sleep fall over him and slept through the evening. Soon enough morning arrived and Gobby knew he would have to answer for his actions in the events that had transpired. Long before he awoke, he knew his time at the academy drew near its end.

“Morning runt.” Gobby opened his eyes to the sound of Krill’s tempered voice. “Do you care to explain yourself or are you already resign to your fate?”

“I didn’t know…” Gobby began. “The flame lashed out me. How could one prepare? I cannot justify acting in absence of your warning. Did any goblins fall?” Gobby asked, dreading the possibility of having had cost another goblin their life.

“Not many were as lucky as yourself.” Krill told a disheartened Gobby. “But none have yet to have their lives expire.” Krill had said as some of Gobby’s woes were lifted. “Don’t you dare be relieved, many goblins were direly injured. Some were harmed so horribly, they may never be the same. There was but three goblins who escaped the blaze unburned. None of the others share your resistance to the flame.”

“What do you suppose will happen next?” Gobby asked. “What will become of me?”

“That depends mostly on you.” Krill explained, filling Gobby in on his fate. “Your time at the academy is indeed at an end, this can go no other way. As foolish as your actions were, they were not taken in malice, so you can go about your life. Make of it what you will. You were far too small to succeed in war anyhow. Heart can only get you so far, you need much more to overcome a battle.”

Gobby nodded his head accepting the judgment passed down to him. After all the pain he had caused, he did not want to harm others again. If not only his size, he were far too unknowledgeable to mitigate harm to his peers. He wasn’t quite sure what he would do next, but he would do his best to make his mark on the world.

Gobby left the academy with a tinge of despair, he was disgraced and had stripped many other goblins of their dreams of joining the Zaejin army. He decided to head back to the one place where he knew he would always be welcomed. What other place could this be for anyone than home? He approached the steps of the home he had not seen in nearly two months. He knocked on the door nervously, unsure of how to explain this to his mother. ‘What would she think of me, her disgraced son?’ he wondered to himself.

“Your home.” A voice he had not heard in quite a while spoke beyond the door. This voice was not his mother’s but he had recognized it all the same.

“Sierah.” Gobby said greeting her as the door opened. “What are you doing here? How have you been?” He asked.

“I heard from your mother that you had been released from the academy. I came over to meet you. It’s been so long, we have much to talk about.” She had told him.

“Released?” Gobby had said to her. “Must be my mother’s words, she’s always been too kind. I was in fact kicked out, expelled for almost wiping out every cadet enrolled.”

“I know, I said what I said to avoid causing you stress for the events. You’ve been through so much. I wanted to spare you further hurt.” She justified herself to him.

“Where is mother?” Gobby asked the once close friend he felt so apart from. “Did she know of my arrival?”

“She’s fixing a meal. In the kitchen in fact.” She answered him. “She knows you must feel horrible but she’s relieved that the danger’s past.”

“Gobby… Is that my Gobby?” A much more familiar voice is heard in the other room. “Get your behind over here and show your ma some love.” Mothers will be mothers, Gobby thought as he went to give his mother a big hug. “What seems to be the matter my boy?” his mother asked, seeing that he was fighting back tears. She didn’t need to see them though, somehow, mothers always know.”

“I failed…” Gobby said, fighting back tears. “I failed and it doesn’t even matter to you. It’s like you expected it… Or prayed for it, against everything I fought for.” Gobby sobbed to his mother, fighting his tears no longer.”

“Perhaps you did fail, but that is not what brings me joy.” His mother explained. “Your father may have turned the tide of war, indeed he was a hero, but I lost him. You’re all I have left, I rejoice not because your dream had crashed… I rejoice in knowing that you are not lost to me. I love you son. I’ll always love you.”
Gobby hadn’t particularly understood his mother’s heartfelt words, but saw her fighting back tears of her own. For the moment he supposed, he would allow her soft heart to rest.

“Dinner smells good.” Gobby said, trying to move on to spare his mother grief. “What do you suppose we’ll be dining on this evening?”

“Since this is a special evening I thought we’d have something fit for the occasion.” Gobby’s mother replied. “I even chose to cook it. A happy day is a day to cook with fire. You can thank Sierah for retrieving the meal.” Gobby glanced at Sierah with the kind of look that can be read without asking. Sierah looked back at Gobby and chose to break her silence.

“I brought some Sabertooth from Pridelands. It’s actually quite good, and a delicacy over here.” Sierah told Gobby. “Pridelands is only about a day’s journey. I wanted this day to be special to you, there’s nothing quite like a well cooked meal, and there are very few who cook as well as you mother.” She said.

“I suppose that is true.” Gobby said. “Ma knows her way around the kitchen.”

“Yes sir I do.” Gobby’s mother said to her son. “And it’ll be ready soon so you two run along and clean up.” Gobby’s ma was always so particular in regards to homely manners. Gobby was usually stubborn to comply but this day’s meal smelt so tempting that he hurried along to the water trough to clean up. The kingdom of Zaejin had fell a little behind in development over the years. Many other kingdoms have had running water and plumbing in these times but the Zaejin’s in their struggled times, had been unable to make such adjustments.

Gobby and Sierah cleaned up in the trough in the back and presented themselves for dinner. They stood in awe of the meals presentation, glorious displays of meat and all kinds of exotic plants and vegetables lined the dinner table.

“Ma, this is spectacular.” Gobby said in approval.

“Yes ma’am it sure is.” Sierah said in agreement.

“I’m glad the two of you like it.” The mother said. “I’ve haven’t had much reason to cook the last couple of months so I decided to make up for it today with all you see here.”

“Maybe I should go away just a little more often.” Gobby snickered. “Meals of this caliber would be worth coming home to.” Gobby smiled as the three of them sat down and began to feast. “Oh my goodness!” Gobby exclaimed, taking his very first bite into the marvelous, sweet meat. “However could a creature taste so delightful?” He said in his awe.

“I’m glad you approve.” His mother said. She smiled as she began to eat her meal, coming to ease knowing without doubt that her son had finally felt at home. The three goblins enjoyed their meal and savored every bite. As dinner time began to wrap itself up they began to socialize. Gobby and Sierah uplifted much of his mother’s spirits talking about how low the quality of the food at the academy.

“Surely this was a meal fit for the king.” Gobby remarked.

“Yes, indeed.” Sierah agreed. “I do hope he fairs well in battle.” She said.

“Battle?” Gobby inquired.

“Yes, the Spire’s forces are on approach.” She filled him in. “The king intends to meet them in battle in the forest of Pan Vale. He took off at noon the day before last.” She informed Gobby. “How did you not know?” Sierah asked.

“He must’ve left while I was being tended to by the medic.” Gobby said to reason with his lapse in the wake of current events. “I wish him well. If he went in person to handle this affair, the Spire’s troops are surely ill-fated.” Gobby said. “He rules over our kingdom for a reason after all.”

“So…” Gobby’s mother began. “What is it you suppose you’ll do with your time?” She asked Gobby. “Now that you’re home at least?” Gobby pondered for a moment, it wasn’t something he particularly considered.
“I honestly haven’t given it much thought.” He said. “But while I was training I had an experience. I was three hundred or so feet off the ground hiding from Baratha and the feeling was like no other.” He told them. “The rush of being so high in the air was truly captivating, maybe I’ll try to go as high as I can. Climb a mountain maybe.”

“How very Gobby of you.” Sierah said, poorly fighting the urge to laugh.

“One thing about my son…” His mother spoke. “He’s never dreamed a small dream. His stature has never held him back.”

“I know ma’am.” Sierah replied. She turned to Gobby to wish him well. “Try to come visit me at the farm.” She asked him. “You know, before you break your legs falling from a tower.” She smiled at him.

“I can visit for a moment tomorrow.” He said. “I have a couple of plans I want to go over with you.” He said as he winked at her.

“Sounds like fun.” Sierah told him. “I’ll see you there. Thanks for the wonderful meal.” She said to Gobby’s mother as she hugged them both goodbye.

“You’re quite welcome.” She said to her. “But don’t you dare be a stranger.” She said as Sierah went on her way.”

“I won’t.” She said, already out the door. “And I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said. Gobby waived to her and closed the door.

“She’s quite a lovely goblin. Don’t you think?” Gobby’s mother asked her son.

“She is indeed.” He responded. “She’s the sweetest. I’m going to head to bed now.” He told her. “I will need to wake up early if I am to meet her at the farm.” He told her. “Good night.” He said, giving his mother a hug.

“Good night my son.” She said, kissing his forehead. “Dream big.”

“Haven’t you heard? I always do.” He said smiling as he headed off to bed.
Sleep didn’t come well for Gobby this night haunting voices echoed from within himself in the night as he slept.

‘Why would you do this?’

‘What have I done wrong?’

‘Ahhhhhh!’

Screams of pain and agony from the night of the fire tormented him throughout the night. Even more so then the screams of pain where the moments his conscience decided to make itself heard. Gobby found himself torn within himself. Why couldn’t he leave the fire be? What did the other goblins do to deserve their fate? Gobby held more than a few scars from that night, inside and out. Others though, weren’t nearly quite so lucky. We wondered if the other goblins would recover in time. He knew that Jaie’s injuries were quite minor, perhaps he would be able to even rejoin the academy at some point. Gobby dwelt on this in a state of lucid dreaming throughout the night. When enough time passed he could feel the warmth of the morning’s sun on his cheeks. Gobby willed himself to awake, it was time to press on…Today he had work to do.

Gobby went out back and cleaned himself off in the trough and grabbed a couple carrots for the trip to Sierah’s farm. He left without checking on his mother, she was a creature of habit and was always gone before daybreak. Gobby’s mother ran services as a job to pay for a fair standard of life. She was a transporter when it came down to it, bringing water and food and other odds and ends to goblins who couldn’t get around the very large kingdom on their own. Everyone in the kingdom affectionately called her ‘Ma’ even those quite a bit older than her. Ma had kept everyone in the kingdom very close to her heart, even the people in the kingdom who were not goblins came to know her well, she often brought ale from all around the kingdom to a kind man named Brian. Brian was known throughout the kingdom as one of the luckiest creatures in all of Krystara, no one quite knew how he made the kind of gold he had, but when someone did a service for him they were always tipped well, and offered a round at his expense. It was very rewarding to her to make such a huge difference in the lives of her fellow goblins. She was paid for her work, but not that she actually charged for what she does. She does the work out of the kindness of her heart and typically didn’t require payment, the other goblins however refused to let her hard work go unnoticed.

Gobby arrived at the farm not an hour and a half after the sun had risen. The first sight he saw as he approached was Sierah corralling a herd of boars. She was always quite fond of boars even as a child, somehow he had always known she would walk the path that would bring her closest to them. Sierah was actually a key resource for Ma and her work. The kingdom was quite large and Ma wouldn’t be able to cover quite so much distance if not for the boar-drawn carriage Sierah provided. Sierah spotted Gobby in the distance while plopped on top of her prized boar. No sooner than she was aware of his presence did she make her way over to greet him.

“Hey there.” Sierah greeted Gobby at the gate. “Didn’t figure on you being here quite so soon.” She smirked with a very charming form. “Say hi to my baby.”

“Hey there Miria.” Gobby said patting Sierah’s boar. “I hope you’ve been staying out of trouble.”

“She has.” Sierah said. “I’m overjoyed to see that you remembered her name… She seems to remember you too.”

“How could I forget a beast like Miria, as sweet as sweet as she is?” Gobby said, now scratching the boar beneath the chin. “And she’s not likely to forget a gob like me either. Besides…” He pointed out. “It’s only been about thirteen weeks.”

“You’re lucky she likes you.” Sierah said. “She’s been picking up more energy as of late. A little more tempered, so to speak.”

“How so?” Gobby asked.

“It seems she’s grown to drawing magical mana nearby.” Sierah explained. “From the energy the pixies carry. When she gathers enough she has a habit of charging through anything and everything in sight.” She patted Miria on the head. “She even charged through solid stone once. If a troop from the Spire were to charge in here uninvited, he had best be about his wits lest he be gored into oblivion. Miria don’t hardly give no love taps.” She said as her and Gobby shared a laugh.

2 Likes