World Event Scoring and Fix

What you are saying seems retroactively smart. But do you really think this is the type of behaviour we should assume everytime?! We should be able to expect a minimum fiability.
To be honest, i never rant on these forums. This is really rare. But when i think something is unfair, to this extent, there are good reasons to be grumpy.
(i am aware the intended cost for these type of events will be CoC like in the future).

4 Likes

I bought t6, I dont see it as a waste. Those extra 2 tiers gets me 1-2 more medals essentially which I can use for other things.

1 Like

400 gems per medal. You are a generous person :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, I just see the benefit of it.

Why complain about what you bought? No one forced you to buy it.

If you bought it to help you guild, it still does that. Means less stress on everyone else and they can possibly spend less now.

If you bought it to finish the rewards, it still does that too.

The devs listened, they reduced the amount needed for the event, unlike the 1st 1 where it was said we will collect the feedback and adjust future events. Yet now you wanna complain because they reduced it? get over yourselves.

1 Like

No one forced me to buy it?
Lets play a game. I give you the rules, and after you make your decisions based on the informations available, i change the rules. Sounds fair?
I see your point. You are the good guy. You spent your gems. This is cool. You try to see the positive out of it.
I won’t rant anymore on the subject, because, yes, some people got some benefits out of this situation. But i think this is also important to remind this is not the case for everyone.

2 Likes

If you just did a better job explaining how scoring is supposed to work, we wouldn’t have these errors. Secret scoring methods only piss people off, then we have long forum rants.

How old scoring description should have looked

Scoring You can find the following rewards for each of the different battles you may encounter.

• Werebear: 5-15 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (5x 1.18) = ~6 eyes
  • Gargoyle: 8-24 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (8 x 1.18) = ~9.5
  • Hex Rat: 8-24 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (8 x 1.18) = ~9.5
  • Shaman of Set: 8-24 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (8 x 1.18) = ~9.5
  • Hydra: 10-30 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (10 x 1.18) = ~12
  • Xerodar: 20-60 Mystic Eyes = avg drop (20 x 1.18) = ~ 23.5

A Mystic Eye is worth 1 point, and each battle drops a variable number of eyes (on average about 1.19x the base amount).

2 Likes

Devs, thank you for fixing a huge problem. As for the explanation…yeah, OK.

1 Like

I think what people complaining want is an option to refund. Buying less tiers next time doesn’t really work when the weapon tier is enough to complete the event.

Idk if asking the devs to build a refund mechanic into the game is way more work then refunds are worth though. I do however argue that since the scoring keeps changing, a refund mechanism after a patch is probably a needed long-term solution in case this happens again in the future.

2 Likes

It doesnt really matter what changed.

If you bought the tiers to help your guild, the reduction in total amount needed doesnt change that.

In fact, unless everyone in the guild was buying t6-t7 to close the last stage, then t4 by everyone was enough to close the 2nd last stage. Now, that same amount by the same people, closes 1 more stage.

The complaining about it, is just complaining for the sake of complaining.

I would understand asking for a refund if the entire scoring mechanic was changed, but it wasnt.

I know a lot of people who have purchased t6 & t7 as a majority of the guild trying to finish the event so I’m looking at it here from their POV.
Some guilds have requirements being completion score divided by 30, if t6 or t7 was required they would have bought it early.

1 Like

Whilst the reduction in gem cost per player (circa tier 4) to attain all rewards is refreshing, there is another aspect to the design of the event that effectively dangles a very large carrot. There are a lot of mythic troops available in this event and many players will be missing some of them; ergo, carrot dangled, spend more gems and hope you get lucky with your investment. Personally I am missing 4 troops from this potential selection. All are mythic and only xathenos will be missing from the possible troops you may land in the shop drop. Shrewd move in my opinion. I’ve bought tier 5 because I wanted the second event medal. I wouldn’t have said no to a missing mythic in the course of my purchases but alas, it wasn’t to be. Not spending more but I can see why many would.

2 Likes

That is exactly what happened in our guild. It was decided by GM, and everybody bought t6-t7 and lost hundreds of games because of this “typo”. Where is our refund for gems that they would normally charge tenths of dollars for?

Even EA, the worst gaming corp on Earth, gives refunds for bugs and is generally more generous than this company. And that says a lot about their attitude towards the customers and their priorities.

And then they dare to complain that some players “insult” them for their lack of professionalism & fairness, and not taking full responsibility for their mistakes! Of course, my post, in their view, is in this category. Simply off-topic and insulting. :unamused:

4 Likes

both well-documented in these forums, as well as things like:

aka “dear customers, we know we made something broken: use our product” (this particular instance is purely cosmetic, but there is a well documented history of QA shortcomings on released events/updates).

Once the players in my guild realized this developers’ patterns ref. Professionalism, Programming/Design Skills, QA & Morality (and set the expectation bar accordingly), their enjoyment of the game (GoW is a very enjoyable game if e.g. you don’t bother with maxing factions, getting all rewards, getting troops/mechanics that work as expected when released…), improved rather noticeably.

Also (and related to this specific instance): never buying beyond Weapon Tier until weekend is here (and devs have logged off until Monday, thus minimizing the chances of curve balls/arbitrary changes).

:thinking: :pray: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like

I’m a relatively new player and have done that from the start (as soon as I had enough gems to actually buy tiers).

I would have thought that to be common practice, to only buy to the weapon and then take it from there. But judging from some of our guild’s scores, it isn’t…

Guess I was lucky in a sense that I started not that long ago and just didn’t have the funds. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

While I understand the disappointment of those who invested in tier6+ based on the initial completion requirements, I think the vast majority of players have welcomed the change.

Hopefully future event reward stages are designed so they can be completed by the whole guild getting a tier4 from the start, but thanks devs for listening to our feedback and acting on it.

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the information! Very glad to meet you!

1 Like

I’m sure it’s a way to ease us into the new required tier system. We’ll get a few “Whoops! Simple mistake!” event weeks requiring a tier 7 purchase (and the “mistake” will also happen to always require more tier buys than fewer tier buys) before the excuses stop showing up and Council of Chiefs will be the norm.

2 Likes

Two things:

1. I did the math, and if the average points were the 1.8x base in the announcement, T4 guild-wide would have been nearly sufficient to close out the rewards. This indicates that the reward tiers were calculated off of one scoring average, while points gained were coming from a different average. I’d be completely whelmed to find out that Council of Chiefs was affected by the same average mismatch.

2. Several of you seem to have forgotten that Festival of the Sun existed.

I’d like to ask the team via @Saltypatra a few questions.
Did this discrepancy affect the first iteration point values of the reward tiers, or just the announcement post?
Was this design document for World Events in general, or for From the Depths specifically?

1 Like

you want to know what is really frustrating about this?

During the stream Monday night, we were asked for feedback on the event. I brought up the fact that they said we would get 1.8x the average base points, but we were only getting between 1.15-1.2 . At that point we were told that they would like to see where this 1.8x was coming from and they weren’t promoting that anywhere. After sending a link to their event page which clearly stated 1.8 the response was… “What do you want me to do about it?” It then turned into that the sample size obviously wasn’t large enough and they test it based on 100,000 battles and the amount of battles our guild had done wasn’t adequate and it was working as intended and they weren’t going to discuss how RNG works because we were just having bad luck…

Thankfully Kafka took the time to reach out on the stream and actually took what was said seriously. That is the one bright spot from all of this. Kafka really does do a great job of listening to players and trying to get them answers instead of just dismissing them and assuming we are wrong with feedback.

8 Likes