Which one is next

To be honest, I feel like this community is really good about not screaming for nerfs. I truly belive that webspinner was out of balance, and that a small change was necessary. I also love webspinner and it has been a staple in a lot of my decks since I got one way back in the day. ALl this QQing about people QQing about units that need change is a little meta and sounds like worse whining than the actual complaint.

Besides its not like this community doesnt cry out for balance changes in the buff side either. Orion was a troop that has needed a change forever and in the old forums there were posts about that, goblin king as well, and a handful of other units.

So again a bunch of nerfs.

Which one is next?

Do you mean that as a factual statement that there are balance changes, some of which have an overall negative impact on a troop? Or as a complaint that the devs are making changes that you donā€™t like?

A nerf is the result of a bad design, in that case you can see it as a complaint towards the devs.

To me that comes across as incredibly arrogant and insulting. Can you be so wise as to understand all the implications and combinations of putting new rules/effects/stats/troops into a game as complex as this one?

If so, @Sirrian should be offering you a job. But somehow I doubt itā€¦

I think we could say that nerfs are a result of IMPERFECT design. No experienced designer Iā€™ve ever met would ever lay claim to a perfect design though, leaving nerfs and buffs kind of inevitable, especially in a game that is evolving.

My inclination is to launch into a discussion about nerfs, buffs, support, power-creep, evolving systems, system-granularity, and planning-for-changeā€¦ but Iā€™ll save that for another time. Iā€™m old enough and wise enough to know when Iā€™m being trolled :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

ā€œBalancedā€ is a very subjective expression anyways. From my experience it is apllied to what the majority THINKS is balanced. Still does not mean a truly balanced state can ever be achieved for you will always have some cards/troops/whatever that are slightly more powerful than others.

And you will always have players who are crying about it, no matter how good the balance actually is ^^

2 Likes

Webspinner nerfed twice within a week. The result of an imperfect design or the result of not thinking long enough and too short test phase?

I just donā€™t like changes to troops. It triggers one-liners from me.

Keep troop changes to a minimum and you donā€™t hear any complaint from me on the forum. :wink:

Or you could stick to MTG where they canā€™t amend cards when publishedā€¦

Ah, they just limit them or ban them - we could do that instead?

Thatā€™s actually incorrect, their card text can be modified/changed by rules changes that are put into Oracle and thus take precedence over the printed text.

I[quote=ā€œJainus, post:29, topic:1149, full:trueā€]
Or you could stick to MTG where they canā€™t amend cards when publishedā€¦

Ah, they just limit them or ban them - we could do that instead?
[/quote]

If you mean Magic the Gathering, the card text officially changed many times and for sanctioned play the most recent English text of in the Oracle is in effect regardless of what is printed on the card.

I am aware of that - but itā€™s a fat lot of use for those of us who have the physical cardsā€¦

Digital TCGs have many advantages in that respectā€¦ Hearthstone is tinkered with all the time, tooā€¦

It is a nuisance, no doubtā€¦ but probably the only place it matters is if youā€™re in a tournament, and in that case, you should know what your cards are supposed to do. And with todayā€™s mobile devices, looking it up shouldnā€™t be too difficult either (which is much different from the 90ā€™s when the game first came out! :smile: )