When you lose is it because you made a poor strategic decision?

Yeah, this has nothing to do with M:tG at all.

This is more like competitive Yahtzee.

Ha, I donā€™t disagree.

What I donā€™t like about what I see of looping teams (I only just leveled up enough to start facing Nobend Brothers frequently) is pretty much what @Ariel said and I sort of referenced it (or at least I did in a draft I mightā€™ve deleted.)

If I want to play a ā€œnon-interactiveā€ game I can play Bejeweled. I walk into that game knowing Iā€™m going to lose, but Iā€™m curious how long Iā€™ll last. In this game, Iā€™m supposed to think choosing a good team and scouting my opponent so I can make adjustments will do that.

Vs. Nobend, my ā€œstrategyā€ is ā€œI hope I get barriers up before they go off.ā€ Thatā€™s not a tactic. Thatā€™s hoping for a dice roll. I hate those games.

I was speaking more generally when I made my original post. I find it interesting that luck plays a big part in GoW, just like players in Magic hate the mana system but tend to agree the game wouldnā€™t be the same without it.

Thatā€™s the odd state I joined GoW in. People love to PLAY looping teams. They hate to FIGHT looping teams. Itā€™s a lose/lose for the devs, which is why I think they should take measures to discourage both looping teams on defense, and ā€œI set my defense team and never look at it againā€.

Iā€™ve noticed pretty much every single team I meet these days is a looping team. Maybe Iā€™ve just leveled up enough to reach midgame and get to that MMR or something.

Every single time itā€™s either Kraken/Kraken/Forest Troll/Something or Kraken/Kraken/Wisp/Wisp. If not that then Khorvash (I hate that card immensely)/Justice, Valkyrie, Mab. Dragon teams with double Shiny+TDS+Sylvanimora are popular as well but those arenā€™t nearly as annoying (unless enemy TDS decides to resurrect 8 times - yes, that has happened to me, I was on the verge of reporting it as a bug but probably just got super unlucky). Even Maw/Mercy and similar setups that arenā€™t as common are all built around supporting one specific troop. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™m happy about that.

It feels like there is zero strategy involved. The whole match is determined on whose team goes off first. I canā€™t remember a match where either I or the AI didnā€™t get some kind of ridiculous mana surge or cascade that led to the win. And some of those are absolute bs - itā€™s easier to remember when it happens to me, of course, but quite often I find myself with a starting board that gives me next to no mana of the colors I need and is perfect for the AI. ā€œCreate X random gemsā€ always seems to screw me over, giving the AI multiple extra turns instead of being helpful to me. And donā€™t even get me started on the pure RNG effects like ā€œORā€ and ā€œ% chance to devourā€, those are just pure frustration.

I tried to experiment with multiple different teams. But I just canā€™t really make them work as well as they should. If I want to win and beat meta teams, I need to do it with other meta teams. I 100% blame the huge discrepancies in troop power for this. Other teams Iā€™ve tried to build either donā€™t really work because meta teams are a lot more powerful or theyā€™re not efficient enough (my Dwarf team has a nice winrate but itā€™s way too slow and itā€™s better for me to take a bunch of losses in between a lot of wins with a dragon team).

Because of this, I find myself playing less and less because facing the same few looping teams over and over and over again is tiring me out.

I lose to Ā« luck Ā» , to answer the original post.
Just now I lost in 1 turn when the opponent filled Bone Dragon in 1 turn on a lucky 5 gem drop, then cast, the skull produced created many 4 matches, and enough lucky gem drop that it refilled the dragon 3 times.
I have seen TDS and Shiny go on chain-casts-of-doom, but this is my first for Bony

2 Likes

I lost twice recently to Bone Dragon, myself. Weirdest thing. It is definitely still a threat when it casts.

1 Like

Ya know what causes me to lose more than anything? Phone callsā€¦ I play exclusively on mobile and if i am playing when someone calls me it interrupts my game and it counts as a lossā€¦

If i lose 10 matches in a week 6 are from calls and 2-3 are due to game crashing

2 Likes

musehal:ok_hand:e

haha you makes me laugh so good, time after time! :ok_hand:

1 Like

Lol @Eika i am glad but i wasnt trying to be funny brudda

1 Like

Does iOS let an app make any last-ditch commands before it gets scrubbed from memory? If so, maybe when GoW goes from ā€œsuspended/not the onscreen appā€ to ā€œyouā€™re gonna have to reload everythingā€, the game could upload a summary of the current match to the servers. On startup the game checks for a save file and offers to resume the match from the state stored on the server. There are surely still security holes in this idea, even if iOS had that command as an option; I look forward to hearing what they might be.

The only notification an app gets is ā€œyou are going to the background NOW.ā€ It gets a really short period to do stuff, and if it needs longer it can ask for up to 10 minutes of extra CPU time if it needs to do more than a second or two of work.

But the ā€œup to 10 minutesā€ is not guaranteed if the phone feels itā€™s under stress. There is no ā€œyou are being forced to dieā€ notification, because in that case the phone is so low on memory the assumption is you wonā€™t be able to do anything anyway. If the phone feels real cramped, itā€™ll give your app the axe even if youā€™re in your ā€œgrace periodā€.