Welcome to Nimhain's Lair: May 21st

“Be careful what you wish for.”

That selection of all 5k PE opponents across the board may be coming to and end with Unity. I’ll be more like 7k, 8.5k, 9.5k.

1 Like

Judging by some really suspicious looking high defense winrates of people sporting the one Elspeth defense, you are probably right that Elspeth needs to be looked at.

Other than that, one having to deliberately gimp down their own defense with the distinct purpose to face WEAK defenses to ever see a selection like that, i’ll take that post as a fun joke instead of an attempt at actually making a point :wink:

3 Likes

As @Gouki said, you had to go out of your way and artificially manipulate the system to get that setup. I see that all the time when I use a 1-troop defense too. Not at all related to the conversation at hand though, nice try. :wink:

I don’t understand how moving to Unity will affect the way the game calculates our team scores and the other involved criteria that determines our opponents. Granted, I know nothing about Unity but I’d like to learn how it would change how the game would calculate these things.

1 Like

It looks SUSPICIOUSLY like he’s doing the 1 troop defense shenanigans to alter the opponent pool. That’s been coded out on Unity as far as I can tell. My reasoning is: He’s a high level player getting (3) 5k garbage selections

I don’t think that moving to Unity would necessarily change things, but the existing builds on Unity (PS4 and XB1), don’t respond to putting up a 1-troop defence the way that the PC/mobile version does. I have put up a 1-troop, level 1, defence for as long as a couple weeks, but still get the same 7k, 8k, 9.5k PVP options as I always do, with an occasional easy one during my Monday/Tuesday PVP climb.

I would have thought that PVP matchmaking was a server-side issue, but there doesn’t seem to be any question that the 1-troop defence thing doesn’t work for us on console. By extension, it may not work for PC/Mobile once those platforms move to Unity, but I think it’s all just speculation at this point.

2 Likes

Oh ok. Thanks for the explanation and the knowledge.

2 Likes

Yes very true, that’s why I said “may be coming to and end”. Who knows, the developers might still encourage 33% of PC players to set their defenses set to 1 Troop (based on the latest sample). In probably just a few more months and everyone will know.

2 Likes

I’m hoping that the one troop defense sticks around after the move to Unity. I don’t use it myself, but I imagine it helps retain players who are frustrated or bored with the high level meta; and player retention is rarely a bad thing.

7 Likes

That’s fair. I very often get a 1-trophy option of 8500+ points with a couple fully-traited mythics, or a meta Justice team, or a Kerb/FG team. I had one the other day with Gorgotha, Famine, TDS, Famine (all fully traited). And this is supposed to be my ‘easy’ option.

If I had the 1-troop defence outlet as an option, I would probably do it sometimes, just for a break.

1 Like

It does help alleviate the more difficult as well as the long, drawn-out matches that usually happens when we field high-scoring defense teams. I understand that some people really like the challenge that these types of matches offer, but not everyone does and for that reason I’m also hoping that they do not take away the option for us.

8 Likes

Player vs Manticore was better, admit it :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness though… the one-troop thing worries me. Strikes me as ‘gaming the system’. Its a problem both because of the capacity to do that, and because of the apparent need to do that: due to lack of variety or just crazy annoying teams on defense, exacerbated further by Guild Wars.

4 Likes

This is the chart I was asking about.

@Nimhain any chance we can get a 2x traitstone event next week? Pretty please?:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Edit::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

I can see her reading that post, going…“Hm, I could do it…but there’s only seven emojis at the end of the post. He probably isn’t fully invested. …Oh – oh wait – there’s eight emojis? Ready the signal fires, we need the 2x Traitstone event, stat!”

14 Likes

I could add more if you think it would help lol

1 Like

Well it’ll definitely not hurt!

1 Like

Now I’m waiting for the new invitation to Nimhain’s Lair

1 Like

I can somehow see us regretting that week where we gave you two traitstones to be nice…

10 Likes