This is why we need MODS in chat NSFW

In the absence of any form of moderation, I would really love the option to not have this garbage constantly popping up on my screen even when I have the chat window closed, or to be able to limit the stuff that DOES pop up on my screen to guild chat. I can’t understand why I have no ability to stop global chat from spamming my gameplay experience.

I’m on PS4 btw.

5 Likes

Possible solution- Can’t you just join room 456 or something that no one else is in?

1 Like

10 Likes

Chat resets to Global channel 001 every time I log in. Also, if I join a random number that isn’t assigned, it just reverts to 001. My only option, as far as I can tell, would be to manually change to one of the other language rooms every single time I log in.

2 Likes

Oh my,what a daunting task the typing of 3 numbers into a box.How can one ever get back the 5 microseconds lost :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It might be quick to do that on PC, but it is not when you have to wrangle the chat interface with a PS4 controller. I’m really not one to complain about the game on this forum, but this is an inexplicably bad design, in my opinion. Do you really think it is unreasonable for me to ask that I could change the default setting for chat to either not pop up on my map screen constantly, or to at least limit those pop ups to guild chat?

5 Likes

I guess im the only one here who actually smirked at the first chat. the second was a bit more childish. newsflash as children we sing songs about dingus and stuff… stop hanging such a bid deal on these things. You can leave chat (disconnect) you know? what ’ we need’ isnt some kind of cencorship pc happening in chats but people to have less thick skin and understanding that 99% of kids even talk like that, heck i bet most of the people in that chat WERE children lol. And that comes from someone who values neatiness and dignity. But i value freedom of speech alot more and will always defend it. The alternative has alot of dangers in it. Who is going to say what a mod can and cant duldge, mods are also people with agendas. I can know as ive been on forums for many many many years, big forums, small forums… and moderator abuse isnt rare.

If I could just control the stream of messages that pop up on my main screen (either stop that entirely, or limit it to guild chat), I’d be happy. People can do whatever they want in global, as long as I have the option to not see it.

It would be nice if there were some purpose-built chat channels as well, like one for guild recruiting, one for gameplay questions, or even one for off-topic/goofing around.

5 Likes

When your “freedom” interferes with the freedom of others that’s when action must be taken.

It has nothing to do with censorship. It’s about not being an idiot. There’s a clear difference between what you say to your friends or in guild chat. Global is public space. Any company is allowed to take action against this. In this day and age if they don’t that speaks of the company itself for allowing it.

I think people have forgotten how to act in society.

The answer is not, “hey we feel like being idiots in chat today, close your chat because you’re not allowed here.”

If you are an idiot in Walmart or any other public space, what do you think is going to happen to you?

At the very least they need to create a chat channel specifically for this nonsense. Then that’s no longer “public” space.

15 Likes

I pretty much don’t use global chat in GoW, but that screen shot doesn’t surprise me.

I turn off global chat channels in most online games I play. In my experience, they’re mostly full of trolls, memes, and toilet humor, and not useful for much else.

Trying to moderate global would be a waste of time and resources. Adding moderated channels for useful stuff (such as guild recruitment) would be a better idea.

1 Like

While I agree this is true in most online games, GoW has actually been quite good in this sense, I’ve only seen cases like the OP’s screenshot a handful of times. Most of the time it’s guild recruitment, answering questions and just general (SFW) conversations.

You guys are parenting all wrong.

You stick your kid on the couch and explain that they are never to leave the pvp room and always fight the hardest pvp battle.

No food until 1 million gold every day.

9 Likes

It’s not about coddling children. It’s about not accepting vulgar, crass, rudeness, and idiocy as normal. It’s about not flodding everything with behavior so poor that it seems normal and acceptable. It’s about having a bit of class and dignity. It’s about having enough respect for yourself and others not post this kind of crap.

21 Likes

I’m so numb to this type of behavior now that I just immediately dismiss it and don’t worry about it…

That said, I DO get where you are coming from.

3 Likes

Some may not find this offensive but is very likely that many would.
It is unacceptable behavior in public and global chat is public space.
Why is it OK to talk like this on line when it would not be ok elsewhere.
That the devs have to waste their valuable time on this is offensive.

3 Likes

Idiots in Walmart is the common expectation, at least where I live. And, pray tell, how do you know you’re not also an idiot? Just wondering…

Because I am a civilized respectful human being.

You can be an idiot and that’s fine, to choose such a thing, but you can’t be an idiot to other people.

And let’s just say there are more than a few here in this thread that have already broken that rule plenty. Yourself included, assuming you are the same Jody that is always in chat.

The internet is not the wild wild west that so many think it is. It’s not anything goes any time. Same in the “real world.”

Also to answer your question, I openly admit i’m an idiot. I just do it in a different way that doesn’t offend people.

4 Likes

Ive seen some of the things you say, and I find you quite offensive, quite often. I guess that works both ways. You don’t have to lie to make friends you know.

Who is trying to make friends here? This isn’t a popularity contest, it’s about being decent human beings.

I for one am not going to defend the examples that have been shown of what people said, but I guess you’d like to. Be my guest!

We should just turn this thread into a neighborhood global watch. Be careful what you say Jody, you might end up on the “wall of shame.”

4 Likes

I volunteer as tribute.

Actually I immediately said something along the lines of “___ that” and moved myself to a channel where I wasn’t being bombarded by chat all the time, as others have said… and was never troubled again. Never gotten much from such things when The Internet has access to it.

2 Likes