The math is wrong on Queen Grapplepot

don’t forget some excessive hp could be the result from fizzbang “double stat to goblin” spell, not from grapplepot.

More hp can always be overcome. It is not a threat, its a pain in the ass. You built a team that deals damage, it can always deal more. Not counting bringing in things that scale with enemy’s hp like Shadow Hunter and so on.

More hp isn’t a world-ending problem. Until you get something like Anariel with 100 magic but that’s different.

On the other hand, crippling an entire team’s attack power is usually impossible to undo. If the team has spells for damage, this is less of a problem, but if not… Elemaugrim wins.

1 Like

I was taking that into account but also considering that on the teams I tend to field, once I get the motor running I average 40 damage per troop per turn.

If it were +1 to Magic, Goblins would be insanely broken. If it were +1 to Attack, I think that would be a mistake. I have a feeling you could swap the stat to +10 HP or even +20 HP and it would not shift my win rate by a significant margin.

I lose when Goblins gets their motor started before I do. The thing that kills me is damage from Nobend/Grapplepot that have been magic-buffed by Fizzbang. It isn’t a matter of “they had too much HP”, it’s that they start spitting 40+ damage per troop like I do and I can’t take that much incoming damage without losing.

1 Like

Did they nerf Dragongard? The third trait used to give +1 HP & +1 Magic.

That would explain why the two roughly equivalent skills are so far off from each other; if they nerfed dragonguard from what amounts to a value of 5 according to the ratio to a value of 1.

Are we sure it was changed?

I’m with @shimrra and @gouki and @Slypenslyde on this topic. Fizzbang is the problem Goblin, and to a lesser extent Nobends- it was Fizzbang’s arrival that let goblins spam exploding loops on you. Grapplepot’s spell damage seems too high for a troop with a guaranteed extra turn, but to me her trait is irrelevant; goblins get extra turns from their spells, not from making extra 4 matches. Yes the +5 might be academically too much, but its impact doesn’t seem significant really.

That is odd; I remember it only saying +1 life to all dragons when I was saving up for the traitstones for it a week ago. Wonder if the interface was being weird on me.

No it still gives +1 life and Magic to any dragon on the team

“Spreadsheet balance” is a good starting point (ie., for a developer in the design phase), but it should never be the end-all be-all. A good system can have (IMO, demands) some flexibility in raw numbers depending on how they are applied. Applying the same math universally to all traits, spells, or even troops in a vacuum simply does not work. Certain mechanics could be better balanced around, yes, but even a few outliers at a given rarity tier are not inherently harmful unless the larger system makes them harmful.