[Reported] Weapon number banned in chat

you can say cockatrice in game, you have been able to for a long time now.

Twinkle Berry wasn’t a Troop the last time I edited the censor outside of “1488” if I recall correctly.

We do not edit the bad word list often because we have to take the game chat offline to do it.
Fixing that one is on my list though.

Just remember, from the outside things often look simpler than they are.

For example here’s 2 examples of entries on the bad words list:

([f|F][\W][u|U][\W][c|C][\W][k|K][\W])
(^|[^a-zA-Z0-9#_-])1[ \/]*4[ \/]*8[ \/]*8

These are two 4 letter words, it looks worse when you get longer words.

Just to get ahead of the next criticism, I know this looks unnecessarily complicated now right?
But this is what the chat software knows how to read and we didn’t write the chat software. We are game developers, not chatroom developers. We don’t re-invent the wheel unless it makes sense. There’s better uses for our time such as fixing gameplay bugs, introducing new content and features.

If it were super simple these mistakes wouldn’t happen. I get you don’t have a lot of faith but not everything is as it always seems from an outside perspective.

We also test any additions to the censor on our test server, however, it’s not simple to think of every possible variation all the time. Sometimes one will be missed and in that case we just fix it and move on.

Most of the team have degrees and have been working in the industry for over a decade including at huge AAA studios like EA Games and Blizzard. Yeah we’re still human and make dumb mistakes sometimes but generally bugs come up because of super weird intricate interactions, not something a highschool level programmer could avoid.

7 Likes