Real-time PVP between Players

Not-so-buried in my posts is the idea that a GoW stripped of the things that make you able to be a troll would be a completely different game.

I think the people who like GoW like an explosive and inherently unbalanced, unfair game. Imagining a fair head-to-head Match 3 then trying to make GoW look like it involves making a different game and talking about a different crowd of players. One game can’t serve two fanbases.

That’s the reference to “Minecraft needs guns”. For a few years I was dumb enough to hang out on Minecraft forums. There was a daily new thread by players who insisted there was no fun to be had in Minecraft if it didn’t add guns so they could recreate Call of Duty levels in Minecraft. They constantly laid out great ideas that were ignored. Minecraft went on to continue to be one of the best-selling games in history, and generates millions of dollars in revenue for people who stream themselves playing it. Without guns.

Just putting this out there:

If this game was real time pvp I would probably never win a game.

I don’t understand why people keep asking for this or even talking about it. It will never happen. You want a different game. This game has been out over 6 years. There has never been a hint at ever adding real-time player vs player. The opposite has been true: they’ve stated many times it will never happen.

And this isn’t one of those things like players asking for so and so feature like when we asked for trophies in explore and the devs saying “No plans at this time” or what have you. This isn’t that. You’re asking for a completely different game. Not even a different game mode, a different game.

Take a game like Hearthstone. It was built as PvP from the beginning. Only after it had been out for a while was player vs AI added. That’s the opposite of what you guys want.

It’s really easy to take a game where you play against other people and then add in a mode where you play against the AI. That’s just removing multiplayer connection and adding an AI. What is being argued for here is the opposite: you want multiplayer connections added.

• Their servers would now need to connect player to player to handle incoming commands
  • They would need additional cheat detection methods because things would be real time, so if someone is trying to modify something on their end, what does the other real player see?
  • Who gets to go first? What’s the “compensation” for going second? In Hearthstone you get an extra card and a single mana point to spend whenever (“The Coin”). The AI, which always goes second right now, doesn’t get any benefit, because it’s not a player who cares. But real players would expect something.
  • People would expect “player vs player” to slowly expand into different game modes – first it’s “We want real-time in PvP” then it’s “we want real-time in guild wars.” Next thing you know people are expecting real-time when you select someone’s profile and choose to battle their defense team. “Live challenges!”
  • What happens when players just aren’t on? Does the AI take over their defense team? What if I say “I can play my team on defense far better than the AI, so I only want to play defense when I’m on, and I don’t want the AI playing for me.” Well, that makes sense, because then I would have a much higher defensive record, right? And someone else who lets the AI play for them because they aren’t on as much, their record is terrible because it’s the AI. Do you realize how many fewer defensive games there would be? You’d be fighting against the same “live” players over and over because no one would want the AI to play for them and ruin their record.