R.I.P. Maw meta. The new meta is Manticore/Khorvash?

No need to add one more protection to Impervious, my idea was exactly to distribute more immunities to other traits in order to make some troops more reliable in some cases. Right now Impervious and Empowered are two top traits on their own that surpass a lot of Legendary Traits…

1 Like

Agree with the OP… I said the same in the week news thread…

Khorvash does too much stuff, and far too much true damage for the cost. And has an unusually good traits set. He’s deadly for invading with and can be deadly on defence - two casts is two kills.

Manticore is just too cheap to cast. It’s limited use for invading, other than as a cheese counter to Manticore cheese. On defence it’s too fast and makes the game far less fun. No thanks.

4 Likes

These kind of threads and their inevitable reaction in form of “balance changes” is the reason my interest in this game has plummeted in the past months.

3 Likes

The things that cause these threads (overpowered irritating troops becoming ubiquitous in pvp) will often be the reason that other people’s interest in the game plummets… grinding is grinding, but annoying repetitive grinding is more annoying and repetitive…

3 Likes

The constant calls for nerfs is pretty annoying but it is what it is.

As for the contention that the new meta is Manticore/Khorvash, I’m not seeing it at all. I still see a TON of Maw and Mab. I’m also seeing a lot of new combinations, including creative uses of Spirit Fox and Behemoth.

The meta is better now than at any point since I started playing a few months ago. I wish people would just get over it.

4 Likes

I hate the meta. The meta i am referring to is the meta of people asking for nerfs when something is strong enough to be played by a lot of poeple. This is just like goblins(could be beat but was hard) trueshot (which was easy to stop outside of mirror match), maw/mercy (as easy to beat as trueshot prenerf), knight meta (anyone remember that meta?), or the dragon meta (we do not talk about that flaming wreckage (let it be forgotten)). If you can beat or counter a card it is not op. if you see it everywhere it is bandwagoning and might not be that strong to begin with. Even now the meta is not the same at all levels so calling for nerfs is anti productive due in part to the fact that there is no meta. What is strong at level 1000 is weak at level 1. So why nerf a card because it is strong at level 1000 when it is seen as trash at level 1? You might think a level 1 player might be ignorant or the strength of cards but a goblin is better than manticore or khorvash at low levels.

4 Likes

Disagreeing with the others is ok.
Making no contribution for the discussion, not posting, is also ok.
Posting something like this just to state that: The right others have to share their opinions about the game when it’s something that doesn’t match with your own vision/ideas and it makes you sick, it’s not ok.

3 Likes

This is one of the worst things I’ve seen posted on one of these threads.

He has every right to express why his interest in the game has waned recently. In fact, he has an obligation to the community and the developers to let them know because this is ultimately how the game is refined and made more fun.

6 Likes

Ok, he has the right to say that it would be better if others shouldn’t have the right to say something is OP and needs to be adjusted. Gotcha!
Very constructive…

Except he didn’t say that.

He said his interest in the game is waning due to the constant cries for nerfs and the developers subsequent reaction to them.

He never said “shut up”. Not even remotely.

4 Likes

Actually, he never stated that people don’t have the “right” to say they think something is OP. He stated that he is tired of people calling for nerfs anytime a troop is strong, OP or not. (whether that troop is OP is subjective, of course). So, yes, he has the right to voice finding it tiresome just like other people have the right to post a gazillion nerf threads.

5 Likes

Oh right, we are not even worth the trouble to argue to begin with…
Our threads and opinions are so shallow that it is much more constructive to just say:
“What you guys are doing reduces my joy…”
I’ll remember to use it properly when i don’t agree with someone about something.:wink:

Wait until a Blue/Brown troop appears in a weekly glory bundle. Khorv everywhere!

For the record, I see: 1. Maw, 2. Goblins, 3. Khorv/Manticore, 4. Behemoth/Carnex, 5. Knights. That’s it. It’s possible for you to be fine with some troops being OP, and even dislike people calling them OP, but them being OP nonetheless. Bear in mind “OP” literally means over-powered, which doesn’t have to mean “stupidly strong”; it can just as easily mean “we see power creep happening”.

Ultimately we all want a fresh and diverse meta, and it seems like the only disagreement is whether or not that exists right now. It’s hard to argue that even if you think the balancing of certain troops is perfectly reasonable, making them slightly less strong would mean a wider and newer use of troops. Which is to say, it’s even possible to disagree that troops are OP and still see the value in nerfing troops. (This, btw, is something League of Legends actively does in order to stop the spam of the same champ over and over again so the game stays fresh and interesting for players and viewers alike.)

3 Likes

Overreact much?

2 Likes

[quote=“Studs, post:33, topic:11137, full:true”]Ultimately we all want a fresh and diverse meta, and it seems like the only disagreement is whether or not that exists right now.
[/quote]

Yep, this is the entire argument in a nutshell.

It seems to me that the only people that have a HUGE problem with the meta being monotonous are the people at the very top. That stands to reason since they’re at the top. At level 1000, there’s a limited amount of things to do and limited amount of troops that will ultimately prove useful against other top players. The monotony really has nothing to do with the ENTIRE meta but rather the niche that is occupied by the 1% of all players that have very little left to do.

I have a two-part disagreement with your conclusion:

1. Based on the data Sirrian gave us a week or so ago, it seemed to make it pretty clear that there are 3-4 super popular teams at every stage of play, with Goblins being consistent throughout.
  2. I therefore think it’s worse at the top b/c it disproportionately consists of the most active players. If you’re doing 25 battles/week it’s much less noticeable than if you’re doing 200+.
2 Likes

To me it currently feels better than it was… but I do get some very bad runs of (feels like) ten consecutive matches against Khorvash/Manticore… overall though I am seeing more varied opponents - but the mana drain meta is on the rise, and it makes for dull games…

My stance against these two troops is more that they just missed some final step of obvious balance in numbers quality control… EK deals too much damage, period. No troop should be a one-shot kill - which EK effectively is, as two casts means two kills, and each cast neuters the target - with a Valkyrie on the team (and who wouldn’t?) two casts is too easy to pull off - that is, no troop should be a one-shot kill unless it’s a one-cast spell, or like Famine has very high mana cost and is situational… Manticore is just too fast. Two matches and it mana drains you again

3 Likes

Nope, i’m not the one that is losing the interest in the game because things are not the way i want.
But to be honest if the game is really not what it used to be for someone, if their experience is not enjoyable anymore, this person should say it but in a productive way so maybe, MAYBE, people (the devs mostly) could begin to wonder what could be done about it.

The case in question, the “Mana Drain meta” (a bit earlier to call it a meta i guess since it seems to be not so extensive yet) for example seems to be the starting point for some “not enjoyable anymore” experiences, so here we are trying to discuss it.

Funny fact: For a moment i glanced at your post and was confused because i quickly saw “Overwatch much” and i was wondering what the game have to do with the discussion.

1 Like

And I have a fundamental disagreement with your assessment of the cause.

You say those teams are hyper-prevalent because they are too strong. The presence of so many goblins, despite being nerfed multiple times, points to something entirely different.

I would argue that no amount of balancing is going to ultimately fix it because human nature is, at it’s core, wired to copycat success. If you nerf Khorvash, something else will emerge. Balancing this game is going to end up being akin to reactionary whack-a-mole. Not fun at all, especially for the developers.

1 Like

How is “the meta stinks, nerf X and Y” more productive than any other argument.

Try to lose the self-righteousness and look at the irony of what you posted.

You’re roasting someone for saying they’re losing interest in the game in response to SEVERAL PEOPLE asking for nerfing troops because THEY’RE LOSING INTEREST IN THE GAME.

2 Likes