[Not a bug] No ads on iPad

Platform, device version and operating system:
iPadOS 16.4.1a

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
When I click on the green button, “Watch Ad,” I expect to be played an ad and given a tiny reward. Instead, The button shows it has registered the touch, but nothing plays.

If there is no ad available, it’s supposed to say so.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
Constantly over the last two days or so. The day before, restarting the game fixed the problem for one single play, but it hasn’t worked at all since then.

Hello :slight_smile:

This is not a bug.

There is a possibility that no ads were available as all options for ads were exhausted. Which doesn’t happen often in my experience, but can happen. And as ads are operated by a third-party company and not our studio, we are unable to generate more ads for you if this is the case.

Thank you for your understanding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

Technically, there is a bug, but it’s not the obvious one. So, I kind of reported the wrong bug.

The bug is that GoW responded poorly to whatever the ad server was telling it.

Normally, if there’s no ads available, the “Watch Ad” button is greyed out. That works great. I’ve occasionally seen this happen, and it usually resolves within ten minutes or less.

What I think may have happened here was that the ad wouldn’t play and GoW got confused. The ad server kept trying to serve up the same, non-playing ad for a couple of days, and you got no revenue.

So, my question is, what does GoW do (and what should it do) if the ad server says an ad is available, but the ad fails to actually play?

Ideally, GoW needs to be smart enough to tell the ad server to find a different ad to play. I guess the ad server also needs to be smart enough to act on this.

Saying that this isn’t something you can control – while technically correct – is not a great attitude IMO. At the very least, you need to monitor the ads served and pick up on these kinds of problems, then contact the ad servers. We can’t do that for you (or for ourselves). You need to do it or you lose ad revenue. This is a process issue that small studios seem to put in the “too hard” basket, but 505 should provide you a strong enough conduit to get things fixed.

Sadly, I suspect no devs will read this. :cry:

2 Likes