[Reported] Game sped up and locked up mid-combat

Playing on Steam, Windows 10.

I was playing the tower event with Irongut/Pharaoh/Pharaoh/new doom weapon team, Titan class. Kruarg devoured the Irongut and I kept trying to climb out of the pickle and getting drained of mana. Took at least 20 turns, I think. After another Cockatrice drain the game animations sped up - stun/curse/death mark on enemies started spinning/pulsing faster, same for effects on my team, same for suggested brown match on board. After that, the game does not allow me to move any gem on board nor cast Pharaoh despite it being full. It shows a gray Cast button. I tried resizing the window and changing the game speed, it did not help. The animations did slow down when I changed the game speed to 1x - I’m not sure if that’s supposed to happen, only play on 4x.

This is a one-off bug that happened around tower level 50. I did not try reproducing it. I suspect it could crop up again given a similar multi turn battle with Cockatrice mana drain and possibly curses/deathmarks.

Invite code: PRAAM

3 Likes

Hello :slight_smile:

I’m currently having trouble reproducing this issue as well.

If this does happen again, please let us know!

Also as for your question, yes the rate of animations playing is much faster when you have the game speed at 4x compared to 1x.

OP is talking about the in-battle constant animations like spell-ready, status effects, spinning choose circle, etc. They specified all these types in their post. These animations run at the same speed regardless of what the battle speed settings are at. During the glitch they were running super fast unnaturally and then slowed down when speed settings were changed - also unnatural to the game.

OP even tho you didn’t actually ask a question Bramble still answered the question you didn’t ask incorrectly by thinking you were talking about spell animations / gnome pops etc. - basically everything you didn’t mention :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: No, those in-battle constant animations are not supposed to change speed.

2 Likes

McDoubleDad is right, I meant status animations on troops - stun, curse, death mark, etc. They look the same on 1x vs 4x normally, but they speed up when freeze happens and then can change speed with 1x-4x settings afterwards.

A few guildmates switched away from Barrow Lord / Rath-Amon / Bonecutter / Pharaoh Khafru team in raid event because of the freeze. Happened twice in 30min for one guildmate, after 20 battles to another.

One more - “last week i’ve had once that bug when animations did sped up and i couldn’t do anything, but i think i’ve been using 3xtakshaka + wand, so it may be still related to explosions/gem generation on turn beginning, not only to Khafru”.

Seems rare. My best guess would be it has to do with potion gem bugfix and I’m thinking that’s what Kafka hinted at here.

1 Like

I appreciate the clarification.

I’ve let the dev team know about this particular issue :slight_smile:

Necromancer class event. The same bug (game freeze mid-fight, all gems stuck, can’t cast any spell)

I suspect the reason is Pharaoh ability to explode random gem

2 Likes

A similar situation happened to me on Nintendo Switch during the raid boss and lost a sigil. I got an error message on the screen, couldn’t get a screenshot in time and was forced to reset the game.

I’m probably going to stop using Pharaoh Khafru this week until the issue gets resolved. Losing torches in Underspire or sigils in the raid event is too frustrating.:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

This happened to me as well, also using Khafru. Lost raid boss sigil bc I had to retreat.

t/need-more-info-khafru-last-trait-causing-board-freeze-and-troops-unable-to-cast-spell/84872

Looks like the same issue.

It’s my turn but I cannot move any gems, and although all my troops are full mana, their use button is grey. But I can still select troops and read their tooltips, and select the settings menu and change options. I tried changing the battle speed, toggling off move hints, etc. Nothing worked. I had to select retreat.

2 Likes

I wrote that in the different thread.
But yes, I think it is Khafru with it’s 3rd trait (Raid, Underspire, Explore, Pvp)

1 Like

That’s a good find, Kael. Can confirm my issue looked exactly like in the video.

1 Like

I think this is the same issue I’ve experienced a few times. I have a video of the weird animations and being unable to do anything. This video was taken showing it happening on a surface tablet but I’ve also had it happen on a desktop. Both in Steam, though.

YouTube link because the file was too big for the forum:

1 Like

Did the game lock happen after you casted Khafru’s spell?

Being able to pinpoint the exact reason as to why this happened/triggered the game lock would be very helpful!

I don’t believe so. It’s been long enough ago that I can’t be positive, but I don’t believe it was related to that for me.

I have video of it as it occurs if it helps

That would help!

Platform: Steam

Screenshot or image: (Included - though it is static. In this case - the red gems in a cross in upper left are pulsating very fast as does the icons for my team. This image is during the Raid event, but it happens in many different battle types.

What you were expecting to happen, and what actually happened:
I expected the game to allow me to take my next turn - in this example, make the match of the 5 red gems in a cross. Instead, game locked up and just pulsed animations at accelerated speed. I had to forfeit the round and lost the possible extra sigils from the Valraven and points for my guild.

How often does this happen? When did it begin happening?
I’ve noticed it happening in at least the last week or so. I am not positive, but I believe it is triggered when I have Pharaoh Kharfru on my team and the lock occurs at the start of a turn when the Pharaoh explodes gems. Not positive - but I highly suspect this.

Steps to make it happen again
It appears to happen at random. Can only suggest that you play multiple battles with the Pharaoh Kharfu and see if it happens.

2 Likes

I believe this bug has already been reported here.

This is a guildmate of mine. Because it’s console the game kicks out to the Xbox dashboard - PC/M it causes the softlock

4 Likes

It just happened to me again in Underspire. I hadn’t used Khafru’s spell during that game at all. And it locked up right after I’d made a gem match (not after using another troop’s spell). It locked up after a long chain of cascading gems (so several matches in a row within the same cast).

1 Like

PC / Android

![05|690x310](upload://9mZp689AbsGt0yVrTj1nRpEeqlq.jpeg

During battles (PvP, Explore, Weekly Events, Vault, Dailies, Pharoah Khafru’s 3rd trait locks the game. Only works “Retreat” button

Every 5-8 battles

P.S. Maybe there is another topic regarding this issue, I don’t know. Sorry for duplication