Just an idea to talk about regarding "Garbage Troops"

I’m not sure I follow. If these bonuses are to be “discovered,” then one of two things will happen:

1. Someone like Tacet will try all sorts of combinations until he finds them, publishes them, and the ones that also happen to have team synergy will become part of the “meta,” not really solving anything; or
  2. Someone like me will find the combinations by datamining, publish them, and the ones that also happen to have team synergy will become part of the “meta,” not really solving anything.

Is there an alternative I didn’t consider?

3 Likes

I didn’t really follow all that either…

I have some mixed views on the topic that you seem to be addressing:

• a collectibles game needs a large number of things to collect, in our case, troops - GoW was light on the actual number for a long time and is only now reaching normal market trends - and needs more!
  • gacha only works and only makes a sustainably profitable game if there’s enough variety
  • that said, more troops need to be usable and more variety in PvP defences is absolutely needed
  • the incoming weekly events system may help, though we don’t know its full details yet
  • there’s an excellent thread of buff and balance A-Z taking shape Troop Buff A-H Thread With Summary that some genius came up with

@lyya I agree that hidden bonuses won’t be hidden for long, but I applaud @MadamBambii for trying something new at least, and I do think some extra story-themed or unique synergy bonuses (or penalties) should apply:

• for example, Carnex and Sparkgrinder together
  • Amira should also mana drain Emperor Khorvash (or gain Fast effect if he’s on the enemy team)
  • bonus for having Tyri, Marid and Jonny Bronze all in together
    … and yes I realise these would be extra work to code, as they can’t easily be genericised and tabulated…

(and yes I know genericised isn’t a word, but it should be)

You say you don’t follow, yet you’ve laid out perfectly the type of things which could be included in said bonuses for finding said teams that I mentioned…

Well…

Awful lot of work to an awful lot of cards. Would you rather have garbage troops adjusted and no new cards for a few months? Because that’s probably the effort it would take.

What I like about the dozens of the garbage troops is that before or later many of them will get some love. It is so many fishes to take of. Also some troops will surely feel totally new due rework. :wink:

It’s a good idea, but I’d prefer gradual reworks to bring cards back into circulation. The maugrim woods rework, for example, was awesome and completely resurrected some troops that were never used. Kerberos is the most notable example, but even dire wolf is now a very viable troop.

Don’t get me wrong - Pokemon style evolving would be sweet. And even in Pokemon, there are disadvantages to evolving some monsters (e.g. it doesn’t learn a move that it’s unevolved form would have learned). I think changing the spell completely might be to much, but it would be great to see boost ratios or mana cost change by a small amount, even if only at a particular ascension level (rather than each time it ascends). This would definitely make ascension more rewarding.

Pokemon style evolution…?

What? Emperor Khorvash is evolving!

Well that’s pretty much what Krudler was suggesting! :yum:

I know Jainus and myself were discussing this last year - right now it would be immensely complicated to implement, let alone balance. Still cool, not practical though.

1 Like

just add event every week with not meta cards.
like.
get 1,5x gold if your team have peasant
+25% to get traitstone if you have hag in your team.
that would add much much more interesting gameplay.
because now you make one team ant spam it in pvp for 2 months until meta changes

also they need to rework rewards in arena and add more cards there.
for me arena is much more interesting.
but you don’t get gold. and you need gold to stay in competetive guild :confused:

1 Like

Two points:

1. PvP is a competitive format, even though its vs AI, this means that players will ONLY build decks that win… IE Meta, utilizing the strongest troops in the game. You will never change that so let go of thinking of ways to make a Common viable in PvP. It’s a pipe dream.

2. Introduce “events” that generate additional rewards for utilizing underused troops, which the devs have already said are coming back in the next update, at least to my wonky memory…:wink:

3. Create new quests in which the deck build is pre-determined. This would force players to play with those troops. Unless an end-game player enters a game mode where troops are forced upon them, like Arena, they will only play with their best cards. That is simply human nature. Why play with little army men when you have an action figure with 25 moving parts, karate chop action, and battle dmg!!?

And those are my two points… wait… :confused:

1 Like