Is this a GoW April Fool's joke?

What does it matter if the devs respond? From responses in this thread:

People are offended they dared to make an April fools joke.

People are insulted it wasn’t funny to them.

People would have been disappointed if April fools was completely skipped & ignored.

People joked/accused it was probably just a typical bug/mistake.

People assume if it wasn’t a joke & wasn’t a bug that it would be crap rewards.

No matter what a dev would have to say at this point, who would be appeased? All it would do is be the trigger for round 2 of bashing. They’re better off just saying nothing & letting it go away. There’s no win for them here, as seems to be the case with everything they do or say these days.

13 Likes

Yeah, let us all believe our actions have no consequences. Tired of dev apologists like you.

3 Likes

Actually, a lot of people were relieved most companies laid off their April Fools junk this year.

3 Likes

Wrong, as far ik Warframe skipped it and i am so disappointed that i played it 10 hours today (while played GoW 40 minutes top and defo wont bother touch boringounty lol).

They had a short April Fools video. I’m disappointed it’s not real .

I’m all for actions begetting consequences, and said consequences should be proportionate to the actions. But seriously, what consequences can this possibly generate and would be deserved??? The only one I can imagine is 1 more hater might actually go away so the rest of us can continue to enjoy the game in peace.

I’m sorry that I’m an apologist.

While “a lot” of people might have been relieved, I stand by my statements:

And I declare again that no matter what the devs had done, a subset of people would have complained. You happen to be in the subset that’s bitching about what they DID do. Had they done something else I’d have been addressing someone else instead of you.

6 Likes

I don’t think it’s good for the game or the community that we have a handful of people who adopt the approach, “Like everything the devs do or I’m going to harass you until you shut up.” I can’t tell where some of your faces end and a dev’s hindquarters begin. You’d find a way to call me a jerk for complaining if the devs implemented a shop tier so it deleted all your troops instead of awarding a troop.

I’m going to “stand by my argument” since apparently that’s the Free Citizen keyword that makes one exempt from critique: this was a joke in poor taste and that the devs haven’t made a peep makes me think it was actually a bug. I do not trust them to implement the monthly calendar properly.

3 Likes

I’m somewhat surprised that:
*Anyone looks at the monthly calendar
*That anyone seriously thought they’d get 100 orbs
*So many players have so low threshold for fake anger (let’s be honest)

I find it odd people come to the forums to basically gripe about everything and anything. It takes away from the actual issues/problems.

Not every hill needs to be died upon.

12 Likes

That’s a great point. More people found out about the joke due to the forums than would have ever known otherwise. I assume the calendar rarely changes. And if it does, at least not in enough of a way that makes it worth checking every month.
It’s just, from my personal beliefs…
I think folks were upset because for 98% of the world April fool’s day was basically cancelled.
I+2 didn’t feel that way and to them fair enough.
I don’t think anyone will Rage quit the game over it.
It’s just another bad look for them during a serious of other bad looks.
It’s always easy to dismiss the forums as a small percentage of the player base. I tend to think of it like “Nielsen Ratings” though. The forums tends to put a voice on the 90% of the game that say nothing. And by forums I’m including Reddit and any social media outlets. They are all separate but equal “forums”. Things aren’t good in the real world nor in Krystara. No it won’t be the immediate end to either world. But it’s hard to imagine the Krystara world lasting longer than a year more on it’s current pace.
I could be 200% wrong. Despite 4.7 and beyond changes hurting revenue. In the current landscape, there’s just simply not a lot of disposable incomes right now to support a free to play service.

2 Likes

On Xbox and PS4, the Jan calendar started 3 days late, and the Mar 1 day late. Apr started on time. Progress.

But the handful of incessant gripers who can’t stop putting their negative spin on everything, that’s perfectly ok? :man_facepalming:

There are things I’d like changed or would prefer they weren’t. Everything the devs do is not all glitter & unicorns. I just choose to roll with most of it & keep playing my game. I’ve voiced my dislike of certain changes in the past, but unlike some people on here, rarely are the changes as earthshattering as they’re made out to be.

But the amount of stupid, petty BS they have to deal with and the no-win situations where no matter what they do they’re evil bloodsuckers is absolutely ridiculous. Every step they take, every word they put into print, has to be carefully planned out, reviewed 15 times, then run analysis on all possible blow-backs they’re going to get for each scenario to see which one they’re going to take the least heat for.

And me, I’m harassing people? Me who rarely ever goes back & forth more than once or twice with anyone in an argument on here? If I’ve said what I want to say and in 1 or 2 salvo exchanges my “opponent” hasn’t given in or given up and they haven’t changed my mind, I exit the conversation (just like i’m going to do with this one once i’m done writing this).

Am I going to stop trying to show people they’re blowing things way out of proportion? Nope. Or there are other players to consider besides themselves? Uh-uh. Or that they’re being rude & obnoxious? Hell no. If i’m an ass-kisser because I feel there needs to be some positive reinforcement around here then bring on the full moon & I’ll kiss it goodnight.

7 Likes

Can anyone disagree with the opinion that Gems of War used to be great. But starting with at least patch 4.7 it has been less great over time? Or was Council of Chiefs week the worst week in Gems of War ever and since then there’s been nothing made public that would make us think 9 days from now won’t be the same rubbish?

I’m all for positive reinforcement. And that constant negativity can be more damaging than just saying nothing at all. But I don’t believe in participation awards. And I don’t believe that anyone can expect any change when nothing is said or done to change it.

If my breath stinks I want to know right then and there. I don’t care if it was fine a day ago or a week ago. And if I try to make it better and it still stinks I need to know so that I can try to make it better.

That’s GoW in a nutshell right now. It’s breath stinks and too many are leaving the room because of it. So if they are planning on brushing their teeth, getting a mint or going to the doctor. We need to know so we can tell others how long they would need to endure the foul stench before it’s better.

9 Likes

They don’t even bother testing new troops/classes etc these days and haven’t done for a very long time. This is very clear and irrefutable. Even if they had spent 30 minutes testing new stuff/checking to see if it is working as intended none of our criticism would be necessary. It’s just plain lazy.

4 Likes

Yeah ok in response to what’s been said:

(1) Two people can disagree without insulting each other. It’s easy. Instead of, “I don’t understand people who don’t see this is funny”, you say, “I thought this was kind of funny.” That’s what got me into the thread! Somebody couldn’t just say, “I think it was a joke guys.” They instead had to say, “Well I, an intelligent person, can see it is a joke, unlike those doomsayers who are claiming this is the worst thing ever.”

(2)

I don’t believe this for one moment because this very week they released a troop with text that doesn’t describe what it does. If they did any kind of planning or review at all this wouldn’t happen multiple times per year.

(3)
I’m in the AWR boat. This would’ve been perhaps clever or funny a couple of years ago. Heck, they could’ve gone the extra mile and done an entire April calendar with ridiculous rewards, like Dawnbringer. At some point it’s so hyperbolic it is funny.

The fact that it was small-scale, unannounced, and I don’t think a dev has appeared on the forums since someone asked if it was a bug tells me it was probably a bug.

I’ll stop complaining if I’m ever happy with GoW like I was years ago before they started layering more junk on it in the name of “live content”. That’s another downside of the nature of this kind of game development: people start playing when the game is what they want. But since the game is forced to constantly change, it’s inevitable that the game will always stop being what people signed up for.

So it stinks, it’s getting stinkier, and I’m not going to cover my nose. They’ve been sloppy in the past, they’re getting sloppier, and I don’t think they even know how to be careful anymore.

7 Likes

Well, I opened the calendar by mistake and noticed it. And I posted it on the forum exactly for that purpose - to make people open their calendar. I thought it was a fun (and OBVIOUS) April Fool’s Joke. So I wanted to share it with the community…

But boy, oh boy… talk about being new on the forums and not knowing the amount of negativity around here :)))))

Just to clarify - I was not expecting any response from the devs, because as I said, it was OBVIOUSLY a joke…

Learnt my lesson, I guess :frowning:

10 Likes

I see you have yet to reach end game, which is being outrageously outraged at everything the devs do.

1 Like

I’ve only been playing since last March, joining your guilds around June (?)…

There’ve been both good and bad features added to the game - this is fair to say. My concern - and I think this is the overriding one - is that the relationship between the Devs and the player is far more predatory than it was even a year ago. The amount of farming now required (tokens, gold, etc.) with some needed items being unobtainable (e.g. deeds, writs) through gameplay is making the game more frustrating.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from CoC. The event was horrific, quite honestly - with the random drops and extreme tier requirements. I didn’t mind the repetitive teams, it will force us to use troops we don’t normally consider. If more events move to this format or if the ‘world events’ doesn’t reduce requirements, it’s going to be a non-starter. It’s hard to justify extreme gems spends (possibly twice a week!) for rewards that are not really needed (e.g. orbs) once ZG is crafted.

And I guess this is becoming my overall gripe…I can earn 5-6 million gold a week, quite easily. But why? It’s just a treadmill. Outside delves, there is no real “progression” to reflect the effort that is being put into the game.

3 Likes

@Sassy… friends are an illusion if you spend all day playing games.

@awryan i woulld only disagree in that it went from great to not as great and progressively worse since about 3.0 for me :dark_sunglasses:

1 Like

This would have been the real April Fool’s joke: you get 100 chaos orbs, but they’re rigged to always be green orbs. That would have been hiliarious, unironically and full stop.

Casual players would be impacted the most, but they aren’t logging in 28 days out of the month so it would only be collected by players for whom this would be a joke. It would have been good, clean fun.

3 Likes