Guild Wars is a chore and a bore

The rewards are terrible, give us an increase in the chances to get the mythic and now we’re talking about a real reward.

The fights take longer as you have no right for failure. My main grief with GW is the timing. I don’t like being forced to play on Sundays or any particular day.[quote=“zachraziel, post:19, topic:25308”]
Lastly, not everyone can field a defence team with multiple Famine, let alone one.
[/quote]

I think most complaints are coming from bracket 1 in terms of boredom. If you don’t follow the meta, you will leave bracket 1 - quickly. That’s just how it is.

3 Likes

However the rewards are, they are as apposed to not.
The fights do take longer, you’re meant to win, not quit a battle because it’s taking too long :smile: [quote=“Azbra, post:21, topic:25308”]
I think most complaints are coming from bracket 1 in terms of boredom
[/quote]
If you’re right in saying that those collecting the most rewards are complaining the most, it’s a hard pill to swallow.

2 Likes

In terms of boredom. We fight the same teams over and over. it is either DK + apo or beasts teams. Anything else is a breath of fresh air and usually the fight is over quickly.

1 Like

My complaint at the top of the thread comes from bracket 50. We are not a top guild, and although we are climbing, we don’t have aspirations on getting to the top 10. The repetitiveness is not exclusive to the top. As I have mentioned elsewhere, last week, I fought a guild where every player had some version of the Kerberos team which only varied by player level and order of characters.

It did at the start. That was why I loved it the first 3-4 weeks. That is also why I refuse to field a team of the sort mentioned above. In Whitehelm/Divine week, I had a LOT of defense wins from a team that I’m sure people were not expecting. (I should have called it “the Spanish Inquisition” … ) But aside from that, I’m using the same troops constantly. Where I started with variety, trying to work in weekly troop bonuses, seeing how new troops could be used, I have given up on all of that because you risk losing. And while I’m not worried about staying in “Bracket 1” and am unlikely TO ever have to worry about it, I would say in my midling bracket, 60% of all fights are 2x Kerberos and another 30% are 2x Famine. After the one 5x Kerb guild, I find myself bored as heck with Guild Wars.

So, yeah, I see people in higher brackets griping it is even more tedious. Yay.

I’m not sure what people in lower brackets even do. In our guild, we have about 12 daily hardcore addicts, but we also have newer folks under level 200. They don’t have fun at Guild Wars, either, getting pounded by these teams they don’t have well-developed counters for. We try to encourage people to play, but it is annoying for us to ask repeatedly to play a losing game. I’m sure it is a great deal MORE annoying having to play 5 games knowing you are going to lose to the top one or two slots of the opposing guild every day.

Bottom line: I don’t think Guild Wars is fun for the top 50 brackets. That’s 500 guilds worth of people not having as much fun as they could. I would count that is a pretty large issue.

3 Likes

Again mate - I’ve been in brackets 3, 2 and 1. We started in bracket 3. So the repetitive teams you find are no where near whats encountered in bracket 1. Bracket 1 is way above even bracket 2, and bracket 3 was even easier.
I mean i understand what you are facing, but it also gets way way worse.

My guild is middle range, so we only get half-meta. Half our guild can’t survive K/FG/K.
So we don’t climb much, but don’t lower much.
And I am fine with it.
I could join a tier 1 guild. But for what? A few more cards ?
i’d rather stay down here. And even having fun fielding weird defense. This week, my defense has a Northrender in it. For real. Because I can and I feel like I make things fun.

Now, I am not saying there isn’t a huge problem. If all you see in top brackets are Famine and Devour, it means that these are the only 2 things that can beat a players.
So

• these troops/ mechanics need a nerf
    And/or
  • we need more menacing and capable cards.

I think a major boost to ALL status effect (poison, disease, web, freeze and vine) is needed, so that going in without a cleanser is a huge risk.

1 Like

Ok here is my “meme free” 2 cents

First of all calling GW "repetitive and boring to me is absurd… Not that it isnt repetitive and boring but compared to what? PvP? Get your life! I see the same few teams in PvP over and over and over and over and over…

5 fights a day is a “chore”? -___- really? Idk maybe im wrong but as someone who fights 500 or more fights a week making 30 of them ACTUALLY mean something is a welcome change

I understand complaining about the meta but that has nothing to do with GW as has been said already

Lastly saying GW is too challenging? Well sorry for being a jerk but… BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT! IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE HARD! geez i feel like this is a symptom of the younger generation having this entitled “participation trophy” mentality. Not to sound like a geezer but i was raises to believe you earned your rewards you weren’t owed them weather it was the grade on your schoolwork or a paycheck just showing up hand out and expecting isnt good enough

I think encouraging defensive diversity would be great but again rhat isnt a GW issue its a GoW issue

4 Likes

I am experiencing both forms of GW.

The guild I run on PC is in the bracket 191-199. Not a lot of variety, honestly. Its mostly the paragons and champions having Kerberos, Deathknight, FG, Kraken, EK…the same setups as always.

The PS4 guild I am in: Silver Storm. Has been in bracket 1 since inception. It is the same in that its OP teams but in the top brackets even the low level matches are the same.
I mean the Adana Mech week was stupid. Every team from Santas (I am not calling them the stupid name they are now) and Gra and Lost winds used literally the same dang setup from Paragon on down.
Tankbot/Deep Borer/Adana Hero with Manticles - Bombot - Bombbot - Adana Hero with Manticles/Engineer/Deep Borer.

Literally, every single match. It was stupid.

My 2 big suggestions for Guild Wars to fix it and make it a great thing going forward.

1. Make it so you also earn points for defense wins. Make those points gained increase for every “color of the day” troop used.
  2. Allow people to play any days Guild Wars…on any day.
    Starting Tuesday, allow a person to do all 30 GW battles if they want. They already have the system in place by allowing you to backplay it.

Tally all the marks at reset. Every GW victory is 24 hours XP buff and 50 seals (that not only give you seals, but increase your weekly cap by that amount)
As it stands now, I don’t collect seals until I hit 1500 anyway now. So I am getting my 1750/1800 a week anyway.

Guild Wars is great, but we need more defense diversity which wed get if people had a reason to use different setups on different days. It also needs to be playable on any day.

2 Likes

I’m probably older than you, snowflake.

I’m not complaining that it is a challenge. Quite the reverse for ME, actually. It is boring - plain and simple. It has changed the meta in PVP, as well, as the same teams are run for defense everywhere, now.

It is a GAME. You PLAY it. Therefore, it should provide some entertainment, some fun, some variety, and be something you look forward to. I have a hundred other games I can play. I played Gems of War for a couple of years, now, because I like it.

However, this aspect of the game has become a drag. Period.

I’m certainly not alone in this sentiment. If you are happy with breaking rocks and churning butter to pass the time, that’s fine, but I have a real job, already. I don’t need one of my hobbies to also be a chore. Therefore, I am posting here in hopes the Devs realize this and can do something about it for those of us who otherwise have a life.

3 Likes

My main moan of gw is having to use all 30 members. Surely we should be able to choose say, 25 to participate, allowing for breaks, holidays and work etc, yet all members should receive the rewards.

6 Likes

Are you saying i have no life?

The game has evolved. You can choose whether to evolve with it, join the people that have the same views (non GW guilds) or play something else?

No one is holding you at gunpoint
Edit:
To quote you, it’s a game, you play it.

2 Likes

By “evolved” you mean “devolved.”

My point is that I’ve invested a lot in this game over the past couple of years. It was fun. Now it is notably LESS FUN. Since no one is holding me at gunpoint, yes, I can go play something else. I suppose if this is not addressed over the next month or two, I probably will.

My “daily game” before this was Hearthstone, but at some point, it became rigorously “pay to win,” and I just have no reason to keep dropping more nickels in Blizzard’s pocket. Since they doubled-down on that instead of fixing it, I moved to Gems of War. I suppose if I’m still bored in a couple of months, I’ll move on, again.

But I would rather not have to.

2 Likes

U still didnt answer my question pimpin

A buffer would provide relief and a reduction of pressure if say 20/30 scores counted towards days battle, but frankly only the top brackets even care. For the prominent majority of players its just another event they can choose to participate in and get some free gems/card at the end of the week.

2 Likes

What kills me about all of these threads is that the people complaining are the problem. It’s the same people fighting one another that are complaining about the stale meta. Change your defense teams away from the meta and you solve the problems for yourselves…

4 Likes

I get what you’re saying, but that means those players would be putting themselves at a disadvantage, and it might not be reciprocated by the opposing players. Not sure that’s a reasonable expectation as a fix. To me, it’s the players job to do the best with the tools they have, and the devs job to provide a wide enough array of tools so it’s not boring for us. If the devs have only provided 2 viable defenses, they should provide more. It shouldn’t be the players responsibility to play sub-optimally to compensate for this deficiency.

5 Likes

I don’t want to let my guild down by playing a weaker defence that means we get less points and move down a bracket for less rewards

1 Like

I understand that but it takes them months to push out updates and this a problem that exists for roughly the top 5-6 brackets. That’s 1500-2000 people many of whom are on these forums (and almost all of the Guild leaders are).

If a vibrant meta were really more important than winning then the players could be the change they want to see. Essentially, players have decided that they value the rewards more than the fun.

2 Likes

I do, i enjoy to sabotage my guild, and they will never find out !

3 Likes