Do you agree with the change to the Sunspear class?

I would just like to offer my apologies to all Gems of War players, since, clearly, this was my fault.

Why?

Because just after I got Valkyrie, it got nerfed.

When I got Infernus, that got nerfed.

Now I’ve just crafted Zuul’Goth…

:flushed:

7 Likes

I strongly oppose this change. Sunspear was the second class I upgraded to 100, it used to be useful in so many teams. This change was absolutely uncalled for. Please reverse it. Tx

2 Likes

So first: Thanks again to the devs for this nerf. You did again really good to upset the whole playerbase and please stop lying!
Second: This is actually not the second class with this trait, it is the third with Corsair and Archmagus.
Third: When will you change Priest’s second trait “Air Link” to this trait?
Fourth: This all seems poor compared to Monk’s third trait!
Fifth: Stormcaller still has perpetual storm…and Skadi…and Umberwolf and Lyrasza. So, can you please decide, if you want to give perpetual storm to classes, Mythics or Legendarys???
Btw, if it really was because of Zuul defs in PvP, you should better rework PvP completely esp. the whole matchmaking (i fight the same 5 people everytime).

5 Likes

I rather would like to see them make classes better in general.

3 Likes

How many complaints have been received about pure faction 500 teams? How many complaints about empowered converters? How many complaints about the explore UI? How many complaints about Life & Death Orbweaver?

None of these have received changes. The reason why is obvious, they slow players access to resources. Between Epic tasks, pure faction teams, the 4.6 explore UI, PvP gold payouts and now the Sunspear (& phoenicia) nerf the devs are obviously working to remove as much opportunity as possible for players to progress.

Any argument about redundancy is easily debunked by looking at the multitude of duplicate traits/talents that didn’t receive changes.

• Barbarian first trait (gain 3 attack when I take damage) War 2nd Talent (Gain 2 attack when I take damage)
  • Corsair 1st trait (Gain 1 life for each Blue ally) water tree 4th talent (Gain 4 life for each blue ally)
  • Dervish 2nd talent (20% chance to dodge skull damage) cunning 6th talent (30% chance to dodge skull damage)

The end goal of all these changes is of course to force players to spend money by praying on their fear of missing out. The dev’s have demonstrated they are not interested in feedback: Gems of War GUI Pain Points. Salty even stated it outright: 4.8 Update (Patch Notes) - #175 by Saltypatra

The class system doesn’t work and without overhauling the talents I don’t believe there is a way to fix it. The Heatwave trait is not and never was the problem.

21 Likes

I’ve had a chance to sleep on this issue and to really reflect on the issue. I don’t believe our verbal protests will be heard. Heads need to roll (metaphorically). I plan to boycott spending gems in the new event in protest of the Sunspear change.

2 Likes

Salty mentions “considerable complaints” regarding pre nerf sunspear and yet the sunspear change suggestion thread in these forums has only 2 players asking for changes and 2 offering counterarguments as to why we like it as it is/was. The whole thread has less than 20 posts which hardly signifies a significant percentage of players wanting a rethink. I strongly sense another veiled attempt to hide what’s really going on. At face value it looks like we are on the receiving end of blatant lies…again.

5 Likes

This has been happening steadily since 4x speed was added into the game.

I would hazard a guess that nearly every major patch since 4x speed has included some kind of mechanism for slowing players down.

This is a casual match-3 game. This isn’t a MMO or other genre type that people expect to sink dozens of hours per week into. This is a “play it on your phone while waiting at the bus stop/while on your lunch break” game, but the publisher/devs (I’m no longer sure who is at fault here, honestly) are trying to turn it into the only game you play because I’m sure some math somewhere tell them that the more hours a player sinks into a game, the more likely they are to open their wallet.

What got me into this game years ago was the fact that it wasn’t cash-grabby in the same way almost everything in the F2P market is. The result was that I spent a lot of money on the game in a 6-8 month period. Guess how much I’ve spent since the 3.0 Nerf Parade? Zero. (This isn’t due to lack of funds or a change in life situation, btw. I’ve spent around 4x what I spent on GoW in a 12-month period in another F2P, because that game is fun and doesn’t constantly inject new mechanics to try to force yet more spending.)

I’m just…tired. I don’t know how else to explain it. I’ve been holding on for over a year now because I’m part of an incredible guild with an incredible community, but this camel’s back is starting to hurt.

9 Likes

The only thing the publishers care about is the bottom line. I have already stopped paying a dime to people who screw up a game I love and take away resource after resource to FORCE players to pay money just to keep up. As long as players keep getting it in the (neck) with every update, my wallet is closed to you.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s the only way, I’m afraid.

1 Like

Great post.

You know the worst thing… being a beta tester like @Shimrra and others - detailing feedback and then being railroaded with crap like this, without input.

@Shimrra also did a class feedback and report, highlighted duplicate traits/talents and we’ve had copy and paste classes months after.

Sunspear does not get 1/2 start, I don’t see any spoilers indicating it getting 1/2 start from a troop in the near future and yet the red storm is caned. The stuff about still getting firestarter is just ridiculous.

I honestly think it’s been changed as a result of trophy collection and people grinding 100s of boss battles to get 3 Nyshas, to do lower tier explores fast. I mean, playing the game properly, (remember these guys created the whole explore system) with tools available, players showing ingenuity, then getting kicked for doing so.

I mean if you look at what you face in explore, you will see a plethora of low mana to fill, gimmick troops, uprated by level, capable of doing ridiculous stuff, which in normal game modes would never see the light of day. Like Toadstool, Glutmaw, Gluttony, Gorbil and so on, all there to apply brakes, confound, and so on.

Nearly all game modes incorporate troops with higher stats and levels.

The biggest power creep in the game, Life and Death, (and the biggest extender of all interactions in game except high level delves) remains untouched.

There’s the answer to why Sunspear got nerfed, it helps interact swiftly, progress…

And do you know what really makes me sad - players playing the game within game parameters, happy to gain progress, gain gold, deal good damage, you know having fun, then thinking I’ll spend some gems or cash, this game is fun. I’ve always thought if something is fun and encourages you to have fun, a person is more likely to spend as they are satisifed.

Devs see it the other way round, ‘OMG’ someone speed killed explore 12 in 2 mins !!! Or some dude got 50 trophies in 5 minutes. Jeez someone killed explore 5 with 2 turns, gawwwd noooooooooooo get the bat guys, can’t have people having fun FGS.

Now if someone doing explore 5 got 10 gems a run, I’d agree with them, but you get low gold, 1 token and some fluff.

14 Likes

This is not only bad, but awful!

2 Likes

This is stated in the other thread but i will reiterate.

YES! The firestarter talent and the Heatwave trait are terrible design. But that complaint is based on firestarter being redundant, not the other way around.

That complaint is also made without the knowledge of talents being unchangeable

It is crazy to remove one of the few unique traits in the game (Heatwave) to address firestarter being redundant…,

Just change it back.

4 Likes

Are you crazy?! The majority is asking for weird things like actual talent overhaul, old class redesign, overpowered weapon nerfs… you know, stuff that actually makes the game better.

6 Likes

So this is a real d*** move on my part but I never really got into the intricacies of the class. However the meltdown everyone is having over what happened is pure gold. So yes, I am happy with the changes but only because the s*** show is really fun to watch.

1 Like

I saw a spoiler troop coming in I think May? Is that the real reason for this nerf on Sunspear? It does extra damage if there is a storm active. If there was a storm guaranteed on every turn I can see it maybe being OP. Just a guess though. I almost had sunspear leveled and was going to use it. Guess I’ll continue leveling another class now :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Yeah that must be it, the new troop…

6 Likes

So 7 votes out of 146 total, as of now, agree with the change :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m being specific to this issue and the current trend of people asking for the change to be reverted. This isn’t a catch all phrase for every issue.

Knock one off that, I just realised I clicked the wrong answer…! :flushed:

3 Likes